Should I count walking as exercise ?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I count that in every day activity. Walking for exercise would be walking non stop, no stopping/browsing etc.

You normally go shopping for three hours, every day? If the OP had an activity tracker she'd get credit for it; I don't see why she shouldn't without one.

I sort of see this as encouraging adding in cooking, doing the laundry, vacuuming, getting ready for work, walking around at work, etc. to be counted as exercise. Its not the same thing, it sounds good, but it does not work that way..

How about for today, we tell OP its ok to log it and eat some of them back, but in the future it is part of the day to day (NEAT) and is included in her calories already.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If your activity level is set to sedentary, I'd count it, but if you're set to lightly active (or more) then I would assume it's covered.

It's still accounted for under sedentary. That's less than a mile and a half, which for me is about 3000-3200 steps.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2016
    Depends on your calorie goal, settings, height and weight, and other habits.
    I don't count walking but it's because I used the Scooby Calculator to determine my TDEE. I set it as 1-3 hours a week of light exercise. Which is my lunch time walks essentially. So I know they're already accounted for. But more strenuous exercise is not. So I only count fast paced exercises.

MFP's "Sedentary" or "Lightly active" settings are so vague I find them useless. Scooby is much more clear for my lifestyle. MFP could at least provide a user manual that defines what that means more than just what kind of job you have.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I count that in every day activity. Walking for exercise would be walking non stop, no stopping/browsing etc.

You normally go shopping for three hours, every day? If the OP had an activity tracker she'd get credit for it; I don't see why she shouldn't without one.

I sort of see this as encouraging adding in cooking, doing the laundry, vacuuming, getting ready for work, walking around at work, etc. to be counted as exercise. Its not the same thing, it sounds good, but it does not work that way..

How about for today, we tell OP its ok to log it and eat some of them back, but in the future it is part of the day to day (NEAT) and is included in her calories already.

But walking around work IS counted as exercise by activity trackers.

Now that I have a FitBit, I no longer log my regular cooking and cleaning, but I do log major cooking sprees for infrequent family gatherings. I'm going to be moving this fall, and I will count the cleaning I do for that.

These steps calories are counted in the adjustment.. and in the OP we are not talking about a fitness tracker...but look.. I am not here to make an opinion on how you handle your step calories. :)

But providing OP with the right information so that they can make their own informed decision is.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Bottom line on this OP is, you can either log these types of ancillary activities or you not log them. If after 3 or 4 weeks you aren't losing weight at the pace you want you should stop logging them.

My personal opinion is to only log purposeful exercise and if you lose too fast you can start adding this stuff back in
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Walking is the only exercise I do, so yeah I say count it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    NEAT treats dancing and lawn mowing as normal life activities for sedentary people.

NEAT treats clearly sports activities as exercise.

Since I learned that, I've concluded that walking around the grocery store for shopping is not actually a sports activity and I won't log it as exercise any longer.

I started tracking my "net calories" in a spreadsheet August 15. I compare my cumulative calorie deficit, which should predict my weight loss, to my actual weight loss from August 15. I find that there is a discrepancy between the actual and the predicted weight. Partly, that discrepancy is explained by variations in cortisol, sodium, and meal timing. However, that discrepancy is consistently indicating that my claimed calorie burn in exercise (which decreases my net calories) is too high. In an effort to reduce the statistical discrepancy between my expected and actual weight loss, I'm hoping that this decision (to stop logging shopping trips as exercise) will help.

^This. I never bother with walking calories unless I purposefully walked for an hour or so.
    And great idea tracking on a speadsheet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    mylaizai wrote: »
    So, today I went shopping for 3 hours , and according to runtastic , I walked 2.4 kilometers. Should I count it as exercise ?

Is this more walking than you usually do? If so then yes.
    Is this your only movement of the day? If so then no.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Walking is the only exercise I do, so yeah I say count it.

Ditto lately. I lose by just making sure to get some good long walks in. Sometimes excessively long because I'm a bit crazy but yeah, I count walking.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    Walkung is the only exercise i do, purposeful walking though. I wouldn't class strolling around the mall, stopping and starting as purposeful exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

But walking around work IS counted as exercise by activity trackers.

Now that I have a FitBit, I no longer log my regular cooking and cleaning, but I do log major cooking sprees for infrequent family gatherings. I'm going to be moving this fall, and I will count the cleaning I do for that.

I have the fitbit Alta and i get zero active minutes when i go shopping.It starts tracking walking as exercise/activity after 10 solid minutes of walking, no shuffling or stop start.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Yes, you count it - but I don't eat back the calories from it....not unless I'm running a 26m marathon each day or something that warrants it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    If you walk a lot, I think it's better to account for it by raising your base activity level. 2.4 km in 3 hours is less than 1km/h so I'm not sure you'll find an entry for that. Is "standing" a thing you can log? (I don't log any walking, but have myself listed as lightly active - which may be an underestimate.)
  • yogaski83
    yogaski83 Posts: 17 Member
    I have my activity level set to sedatary, so I track walking. I also use my heart rate monitor to track calories burned while house cleaning - but I clean like a mad woman. I eat back most of the earned calories, since my calorie goal without activity is pretty low (1200).
  • yogaski83
    yogaski83 Posts: 17 Member
    *sedentary