Do you plan your cheat meals/days?

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    kyleldrake wrote: »
    How does everyone eat the rest of the day after the cheat meal? If you're normally doing, say, 5 clean meals a day doing a 40/40/20 macro goal, do you still force yourself to eat those other meals if your pizza cheat meal was in the mid-afternoon? I find it hard to eat anything after the cheat. I'm full for the rest of the day it seems.

I did it for a full day to intentionally have a small surplus and now it's the whole weekend.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How does everyone eat the rest of the day after the cheat meal? If you're normally doing, say, 5 clean meals a day doing a 40/40/20 macro goal, do you still force yourself to eat those other meals if your pizza cheat meal was in the mid-afternoon? I find it hard to eat anything after the cheat. I'm full for the rest of the day it seems.

If I were logging it? I wouldn't worry about the macros, and would not "try" to eat the rest of the day. That just seems counter productive, and not "harmonious" with intuitive eating. But then I never force myself to eat.
    When I was younger, I'd over eat before my period and under eat during it. I NEVER forced myself to eat some magical calorie allotment.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    PinkSuede wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong if a bite of a brownie is considered cheating.

Im sticking to a primarily clean diet so any seriously unclean foods or anything with sugar added it strictly reserved for cheat meals. And lets be serious. It wont be just one bite lol

How do you feel about the 5 second rule?

I don't have cheat days. If I want a brownie I eat a brownie. I pretty much eat whatever I feel like eating. Sometimes it takes a little more planning, say if I feel like eating a pizza I need to eat lighter the rest of the day to fit it in and I try to satisfy that particular craving on one of my more active days.

I really dislike the whole "Cheat day" thing. It Makes no sense at all to me to plan to cheat on your diet. It's like intentionally shooting yourself in the foot while trying to convince yourself and those around you that it won't hurt a bit.

Why not just learn how to fit the foods and treats you enjoy into a healthier overall way of eating.

Because sometimes you want more than your maintenance level of calories will allow you to have in food and treats.

This is exactly one of the posts I was talking about - is it really so necessary to make such negative false analogies that imply the person who chooses to lose weight this way is stupid/doesn't know what they're doing? If you prefer to always stay within your calories even if it means only having a small amount of the treat you want (or, more likely, you go over your calories occasionally and just choose not to call it a "cheat"), that's fine, you do you, but why is it necessary to try to run down the other side?

Exactly! i don't know why it is so hard for other people to understand. Some folks are satisfied with one cookie or a serve of ice cream, i am NOT.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

When I used to have a high cal day not offset by exercise, I'd normally do it by going out to dinner. The first time I tried fasting beforehand, and found I had no self-control, was eating the bread on the table, which I normally don't do, etc. So then I tried either consolidating breakfast and lunch into one large brunch with fewer cals than the two together or just having a low cal lunch (protein+veg).

When doing a meal that's just unlike how I normally eat, but offset by exercise, I try to make up for the difference in other meals (for example, if I get a pizza at an Italian place I usually end up with plenty of veg, fat, and carbs, but lower on protein than usual, so I might have extra protein earlier in the day). It all depends, though, and if one day is off my usual plan, I don't really care--it happens.

I don't see why you'd feel compelled to eat other meals just for the sake of eating meals at those times if you ate plenty for the day and are not hungry, but I've never been a "eat 5 meals" or "must hit these macros exactly!" kind of person.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

Since when does 2 pieces of brownie and ice cream equal well over 1200 calories? I can have both and still have calories left over for meals.

Well Applebee's brownie and ice cream... 1670 calories. So 1200 calories is actually low for 2 brownies and ice cream, lol. Even I would have a hard time fitting that in my week (considering that desserts never fill me up).

8d02bdf84e9d44dd07df2671f559e34d.jpg

I think the point really is that, to be able to fit them in, your cheat days have to be reasonable... you know?

That....looks really good!
    But...I was thinking home made brownies and a serving of Breyers vanilla which would have fewer calories. That up there is special as heck.
    And tasty looking.
    And....the closest Applebees to me is in NY. So I am good there. ;)

You're just being kind. Nothing in Applebee's is good.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    There's something seriously wrong if a bite of a brownie is considered cheating.

Im sticking to a primarily clean diet so any seriously unclean foods or anything with sugar added it strictly reserved for cheat meals. And lets be serious. It wont be just one bite lol

You poor thing...

Not really. Since cutting out most processed foods and those with added sugar my cravings and appetite have been much more manageable when compared to eating whatever I want as long as it fits within my calorie budget. When I do eat sugar... the cravings for more sugar last about 24 hours. Usually I dont miss it at all. Out of sight, out of mind.....for the most part.

yet you're posting here about how to shoehorn everything you feel you 'cant' eat into a cheat day, so....?

Yea its just a recipe for an eating disorder
  • Sicasooca
    Sicasooca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anything that goes in my mouth, I track. If I can, I track and weigh it for accuracy.
    I used to do cheat meals, but they set me back too much (I love red robin way too much, so one meal there would set back my effort for the whole week).

Instead of cheat meals, I eat at maintenance on non-deficit days, that way I never gain weight and learn how to maintain once I finish losing.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2016
    Options

How do you feel about the 5 second rule?

I don't have cheat days. If I want a brownie I eat a brownie. I pretty much eat whatever I feel like eating. Sometimes it takes a little more planning, say if I feel like eating a pizza I need to eat lighter the rest of the day to fit it in and I try to satisfy that particular craving on one of my more active days.

I really dislike the whole "Cheat day" thing. It Makes no sense at all to me to plan to cheat on your diet. It's like intentionally shooting yourself in the foot while trying to convince yourself and those around you that it won't hurt a bit.

Why not just learn how to fit the foods and treats you enjoy into a healthier overall way of eating.

Because sometimes you want more than your maintenance level of calories will allow you to have in food and treats.

This is exactly one of the posts I was talking about - is it really so necessary to make such negative false analogies that imply the person who chooses to lose weight this way is stupid/doesn't know what they're doing? If you prefer to always stay within your calories even if it means only having a small amount of the treat you want (or, more likely, you go over your calories occasionally and just choose not to call it a "cheat"), that's fine, you do you, but why is it necessary to try to run down the other side?

I actually do agree with this (figured I'd acknowledge it since I complained about the rageful comment -- and I will note that don't see the pne is one as nasty or rage-y (not claiming anyone else does either), just not being open-minded to what people actually mean by "cheat day").

Setting aside the terminology, having days where you eat more leniently or more calories than you do on your usual days can be a perfectly reasonable strategy.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny when people say "just fit it into your plan" - you mean have 2 pieces of brownie with ice cream and then starve the rest of the day? Sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes you just want to eat MORE, even if you manage to fit most things into the diet on an every-day basis - and I do. I eat pizza and grilled chicken burgers and just adjust the rest of the day accordingly. So even though I don't feel THAT restricted, there are still days when I don't want to worry about it.

Every 3-4 weeks I pick one day to "cheat" or whatever you want to call it. Then I go over all of the macros equally, about 25-50% more than recommended. It fits a nice restaurant pizza and some chocolate, plus a few other things. So it's planned and controlled, but makes me happy and works for me.

Since when does 2 pieces of brownie and ice cream equal well over 1200 calories? I can have both and still have calories left over for meals.

Well Applebee's brownie and ice cream... 1670 calories. So 1200 calories is actually low for 2 brownies and ice cream, lol. Even I would have a hard time fitting that in my week (considering that desserts never fill me up).

I think the point really is that, to be able to fit them in, your cheat days have to be reasonable... you know?

But...I was thinking home made brownies and a serving of Breyers vanilla which would have fewer calories. That up there is special as heck.
    And tasty looking.

You're just being kind. Nothing in Applebee's is good.

I've never been there!
    As someone who was from rural-ish Australia that moved to Canada, there is much I haven't tried.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

And tasty looking.

Agree. My brownies don't look like that either. If that plate is 1670 calories, I don't need it. Two home made brownies at 168 calories each would be good for me.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Where in my post did you see the word stupid or "doesn't know what they are doing"? Seems to me there is a whole lot of assumption in your response to my post. My comments was my personal point of view on the subject of "cheat days". The analogy I made wasn't false, it was my point of view. Just because it is different from yours does not make it false.

I never stated that I always stay within my calories. So why did you assume it?
    I never stated that never go over my calorie goal. So why did you assume so? Although my TDEE is around 3500-4000 on most days so... I generally don't want to go over maintenance. When I CHOOSE to go over my goal and stick to maintenance, or even exceed maintenance, I don't call it cheating. I dislike the word. It isn't positive. I make a clear and conscious choice to over eat. I accept responsibility for doing so. I don't use negative words or like cheating or "being bad or naughty". How is it any less negative to call it cheating than it is to call it intentionally shooting yourself in the foot?

Why not say. Today I made a choice to splurge and treat myself to something delicious?

Why is it that those choosing to use negative words to describe their self defeating behaviors are calling those who try to avoid those sorts of things negative? Why not explain what you get out of calling it a cheat? What makes you use those words to describe your conscious choice to over eat?

It seems like those who chose not to "cheat" or use such words to describe their eating habits, explain why very clearly. And those who chose to cheat and who get defensive about the term and practice, and immediately react as if they have been attacked by those who have another point of view, can't actually explain very sensibly what it is they get out of the practice.

It is useful to have the ability to share and listen to multiple points of view without immediately deciding that when a person has an opposing viewpoint or disagrees with you, it is some kind of a personal attack.

I really don't understand the mindset these days that nobody can ever say anything that does not agree with your personal viewpoint without being immediately tagged as angry, mean, or whatever. So much victim mentality on the internet. Just as much if not more so than those who are over the top with being truly mean and aggressive.

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I'm strict from Mon. to Sat. Sunday is my day. I call it a free day, not a cheat day. Makes this livable for me. If I'm wanting something, I know I can have it on Sunday so I never feel deprived. When Sunday comes if I still want it, I have it, or something else I might decide that I feel like having. If I ate a little of whatever every day, that would become a habit for me and I would eventually end up eating more of it all the time. I'd be back where I started. You have to find what works for you.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I used to really restrict myself..not anymore. I don't plan a cheat meal..I just make up for it later, or not. I'm active enough that allowing for the things I want here and there cause no harm and if nothing else..guess I'm bulking. B)
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Where in my post did you see the word stupid or "doesn't know what they are doing"? Seems to me there is a whole lot of assumption in your response to my post. My comments was my personal point of view on the subject of "cheat days". The analogy I made wasn't false, it was my point of view. Just because it is different from yours does not make it false.

I never stated that I always stay within my calories. So why did you assume it?
    I never stated that never go over my calorie goal. So why did you assume so? Although my TDEE is around 3500-4000 on most days so... I generally don't want to go over maintenance. When I CHOOSE to go over my goal and stick to maintenance, or even exceed maintenance, I don't call it cheating. I dislike the word. It isn't positive. I make a clear and conscious choice to over eat. I accept responsibility for doing so. I don't use negative words or like cheating or "being bad or naughty". How is it any less negative to call it cheating than it is to call it intentionally shooting yourself in the foot?

Why not say. Today I made a choice to splurge and treat myself to something delicious?

Why is it that those choosing to use negative words to describe their self defeating behaviors are calling those who try to avoid those sorts of things negative? Why not explain what you get out of calling it a cheat? What makes you use those words to describe your conscious choice to over eat?

It seems like those who chose not to "cheat" or use such words to describe their eating habits, explain why very clearly. And those who chose to cheat and who get defensive about the term and practice, and immediately react as if they have been attacked by those who have another point of view, can't actually explain very sensibly what it is they get out of the practice.

It is useful to have the ability to share and listen to multiple points of view without immediately deciding that when a person has an opposing viewpoint or disagrees with you, it is some kind of a personal attack.

I really don't understand the mindset these days that nobody can ever say anything that does not agree with your personal viewpoint without being immediately tagged as angry, mean, or whatever. So much victim mentality on the internet. Just as much if not more so than those who are over the top with being truly mean and aggressive.

So you're arguing that the person shooting their own foot while saying it won't hurt is smart and knows what they're doing? I'm sure that's true.

Not sure why you're talking about assuming how you eat, as I gave both options there - that you stay within your calories, or you go outside but don't use the word "cheat" to describe it. Is there a third option you wanted?

I never said you were angry or mean. I said you were being negative and running down people who choose to cheat. Not sure who you're trying to reference, as I never said anything like that. There are plenty of people here on either side of the debate, it's not productive to try to generalize them. When you feel defensive, everyone looks like an attacker, and you're far more likely to notice the actions of the side you disagree with than the side you agree with.

Asking what people get out of applying a label to something is a silly question. What do we get out of applying the term "white" to the color that reflects all light equally? We don't have to say over and over "the color that reflects all light equally". That's why I'm team "you guys are all doing the same things why are you so judgy about what others call it", not team "cheat" or "don't cheat". "Cheat" is just fast slang that means something about not adhering to a certain eating plan - whether it's not counting your calories, counting calories but deliberately not moderating, eating a certain amount above your plan, etc - and doesn't have a moral judgement that wouldn't also be applied to the concept behind it. No one is more or less guilty because they use the word "cheated" instead of the definition of the word for them.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Actually I think I'm okay with the term "cheat day" because, by having my weekly calorie surplus I'm "cheating" the biological system that made it impossible for me to keep weight off. Cheaters win at the game of long-term weight loss because there's no reason to stop living this way.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I think my main issues with the cheat meal mentality (and I'm not trying to say everyone does this, but it's frequent on MFP):
    1.) People think they need to have regular cheat meals, especially if they aren't losing weight, to "shock" their body into weight loss because they'll be in "starvation mode" if they don't. Like, cheat meals are necessary because they do something magical.
    2.) There are several different versions of the cheat thing. The ones who do it every once in awhile..the IDGAF day (of which I am one) ...whatever you want to call it, probably doesn't matter much on the overall diet. However, we also frequently see the ones who have weekly cheat meals or days, don't log them, and then are baffled why they aren't losing weight.

I'm just saying...I think that's why there's so much pushback here. I guess not necessarily that it's "wrong"..it just tends to increase the likelihood of plateaus for quite a few people.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I don't really do five meals a day - at least, not the way that I define a meal (sit down and eat, usually with a drink on the side). I have three meals and two or three snacks. So, I guess, in a way, that's five or six meals (if you define a meal as a time when you ate anything).

Anyway, on the days that I cheat, I don't eat in my normal way at all. If one of my meals is really high in calories, I will forego one or more of my snacks. I've had days where I'll eat breakfast and dinner and a snack, when the dinner was particularly high in calories. I do that for exactly the reason you've mentioned: I'm simply not hungry when I've had a high calorie meal.

I just don't understand this need to eat at specific appointed times. On a normal day, I eat at specific times. However, if I eat breakfast late (like on a weekend), then lunch is pushed back and so is dinner. Otherwise, I might combine lunch and dinner into one meal and eat a slightly larger snack late in the day.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    I don't know. I think my main issues with the cheat meal mentality (and I'm not trying to say everyone does this, but it's frequent on MFP):
    1.) People think they need to have regular cheat meals, especially if they aren't losing weight, to "shock" their body into weight loss because they'll be in "starvation mode" if they don't. Like, cheat meals are necessary because they do something magical.
    2.) There are several different versions of the cheat thing. The ones who do it every once in awhile..the IDGAF day (of which I am one) ...whatever you want to call it, probably doesn't matter much on the overall diet. However, we also frequently see the ones who have weekly cheat meals or days, don't log them, and then are baffled why they aren't losing weight.

I'm just saying...I think that's why there's so much pushback here. I guess not necessarily that it's "wrong"..it just tends to increase the likelihood of plateaus for quite a few people.

I agree with you, a cheat meal doesn't do anything to help metabolic adaptation but it can help mentally.

One meal isn't enough. It takes an actual caloric surplus for 12-24 hours to increase leptin just like a deficit lowers leptin. So whether you're in minor deficit or even at maintenance it will not reverse declining leptin levels.
    Granted the size of suplus/defict factors in the adjustment both ways.

Metabolism is regulated by a 24hr circadian clock. I see it like a light switch. I want that switch on "burn" 6 days and "feed" one day each week. Overall I'm in a deficit each week but I get also get a leptin rebound, so that it never gets to the point where metabolic adaptation affects my weight loss. It's also why I've become leaner years after losing 100lbs with less exercise and increased eating. My metabolism is stronger than ever and not many people who have lost 130lbs can say that.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2016
    Options

What I don't like is the generalizations -- I've seen lots of people claiming that one "cheat" day turns into a week or some such, or that a "cheat" day will wipe out a deficit for the week. That MIGHT be true for them, sure, but isn't for everyone and it's obvious some do cheat days (or IDGAF days or "treat" days or whatever) successfully or even find them to help. If someone isn't losing and has a day a week not logged, yeah, that's probably an issue, but beyond that it's one of those things that work for some and not others, and how people do it varies so much that you can't generalize.

I suspect one of the big sources for the pushback is fear that people will be super restrictive during the week or month and then basically use a "cheat" day to binge and feel guilty, which I think is something that does happen, but you have to know if you are prone to bingeing behavior or being overly restrictive. I sometimes think that people who are assume that everyone is. For me it wasn't like this -- basically pressure building up and then no constraints whatsoever-- and I am sure it's not for many others also. Nor did I feel guilty eating the foods/amounts I saved for a "treat day." A "treat" day was simply a day when I wasn't eating at a deficit, could eat more like I would at maintenance or, in the alternative, fit in something that was hard to fit in normally, like a special meal out (which is a regular part of my lifestyle, so I had to learn how it would fit).

Calling it a cheat wouldn't have made a difference to me, since in my head they are the same thing. I do think language can matter, though, so it's worth being aware of why some are wary of the term and that you don't feel like you are "cheating" somehow. Again, I'm sure that's something some of us are more prone to than others and it depends on the particular usage and associations.