Do you plan your cheat meals/days?

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The best realistic advice is to have a "cheat meal" not a "cheat day". If you've worked out and ate at a deficit all week..eating a meal off your plan won't ruin your progress like eating all day long whatever you want.
    Myself.. I eat strict on plan for breakfast and lunch.. I workout.. then I will go out to dinner and just get what I want. Not much damage done at all..and it keeps me sane.

It's nearly impossible to blow a week of deficits in one day.

I don't like the word "cheat" for this but for the past 12+ years I have a planned 24-48 hour calorie surplus day/weekend each and every week. I look forward to it all week by taking mental notes of what I'm craving and having them guilt-free in just a few more days. I'm in control, I choose when I eat the foods that used to control me.

Doing this every week is why I was able to lose 100lbs 12 years ago and another 30lbs since.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't consider them "cheat days" but just days I eat more calories/somewhat unlike how I normally eat.

Generally they are days when I am going out to eat to a place where I will want to be more indulgent than usual or a special event or holiday, so, yeah, they are typically planned in advance.

My usual diet isn't all that restrictive, though -- I think it's quite healthy, but it's also consistent with how I like to eat. I don't really crave things. I will look forward to planned treats, though, like an Ethiopian meal or pie at Thanksgiving or lamb and deviled eggs at Easter.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't really do a "cheat meal" anymore.
    I tried doing that while dieting multiple times before and I would just keep making more excuses to "cheat" more and more and it didn't work out for me.
    I typically eat something out of the ordinary (a few slices of pizza, ice cream, etc) on Tuesday or the following day because I weigh in on Tuesday mornings...BUT I still log it and keep my portions in check and try not to go over my daily limit.
    I find if I eat what I want when I want it but just in reasonable portions and make it fit into my daily log then I don't really crave anything and I don't get myself to that "OMG I need a brownie or I'm going to die!" Point lol. Because if I deprive myself of everything all the time and wait till i get to that point then I tend to eat brownies till I feel sick, instead of a small portion like I should.

Try fitting it into your daily food log instead of "cheating"....it makes all the difference in the world (or at least it did with me).
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »

I can assure you it is! :confounded:

But I am fairly short at 5'2 and only working on the last few vanity pounds so I eat at a small deficit. (~150 cals a day not including exercise). This is my best bet to ensure satiety & sanity on a daily basis, but that also means that it's super easy to blow out my amassed deficit in one day. A family gathering with snacks, beers & dessert- donezo. That doesn't happen terribly often though, thankfully.

Ordinary I don't really plan cheat days either. But I listen to my body & give myself the freedom to eat to maintenance on days when I am hungry, which is usually on lower body lifting days everyday really. But I let myself eat on lower body lifting days because I genuinely need the fuel.
  • tamatisk
    tamatisk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by cheat day. I think it's harder to plan in 'treats' to your meal plan if you have a lower weight so small deficit. I only have 1220 calories to work with. I don't have good/bad foods but if I want a takeout or a nice meal out it generally wouldn't fit into my calories unless I skip an entire meal which would send my blood sugar crazy and cause me to feel really ill.

My 'cheat' days are reserved for days that are impossible to log accurately so if I go on holiday, am staying with relatives or having a special meal out. I either don't log or put in an arbitrary amount that I think will cover it.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    tamatisk wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by cheat day. I think it's harder to plan in 'treats' to your meal plan if you have a lower weight so small deficit. I only have 1220 calories to work with. I don't have good/bad foods but if I want a takeout or a nice meal out it generally wouldn't fit into my calories unless I skip an entire meal which would send my blood sugar crazy and cause me to feel really ill.

My 'cheat' days are reserved for days that are impossible to log accurately so if I go on holiday, am staying with relatives or having a special meal out. I either don't log or put in an arbitrary amount that I think will cover it.

It depends on what you are eating.
    If your "cheat" is going to Olive Garden and have a bowl of fettuccine Alfredo (which is about 1,200 cal.) Then yeah...that's going to blow the whole day lol.
    But if you want a few slices of pizza, piece of cake, some fried shrimp, etc. That's pretty easy to fit into your day with only that many calories.
    Mine is set at 1,200 right now and I've had breakfast, a snack, lunch (fried shrimp and a few fries), another snack and I still have enough calories for the steak my husband is cooking for dinner tonight.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

But I am fairly short at 5'2 and only working on the last few vanity pounds so I eat at a small deficit. (~150 cals a day not including exercise). This is my best bet to ensure satiety & sanity on a daily basis, but that also means that it's super easy to blow out my amassed deficit in one day. A family gathering with snacks, beers & dessert- donezo. That doesn't happen terribly often though, thankfully.

Ordinary I don't really plan cheat days either. But I listen to my body & give myself the freedom to eat to maintenance on days when I am hungry, which is usually on lower body lifting days everyday really. But I let myself eat on lower body lifting days because I genuinely need the fuel.

You'd still have to eat (Weekly deficit + Maintenance cals) to wipe it out completely. But yeah, you have a much smaller buffer than me because you are so very tiny :smile:

My experience;
    If I burn an average of 3K a day my weekly maintenance calories would be 21K and to lose 2lbs I'd subtract 7K so my weekly calories for 2lbs of weight loss is 14K or 2,000 a day average.

Option A-
    Eat 2,000 calories a day which will allow weight loss of about 2lbs/wk.
    But, for me after several weeks of following this type of plan my weight-loss would gradually slow to a halt. Along with that, my food cravings would become intolerable.
    OptA = Diet-Plateau-Quit (Month later) Diet-Plateau-Quit..........This was my life.

Option B -
    Same numbers, eat 14K a week to lose 2lbs.
    For six days have 1,750 calories
    One day eat 3,500 calories
    OptB =I didn't plateau and lost weight like each week was my first week of dieting.

Once I hit the 100 pounds lost I made both Saturday and Sunday high calorie days and lost another 30lbs over the past 10+ years.
    No plateau, no weight rebound and I'm getting a bit leaner each year.

You need to know the Power of the Darkside

• tamatisk
    tamatisk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    tamatisk wrote: »

It depends on what you are eating.
    If your "cheat" is going to Olive Garden and have a bowl of fettuccine Alfredo (which is about 1,200 cal.) Then yeah...that's going to blow the whole day lol.
    But if you want a few slices of pizza, piece of cake, some fried shrimp, etc. That's pretty easy to fit into your day with only that many calories.
    Mine is set at 1,200 right now and I've had breakfast, a snack, lunch (fried shrimp and a few fries), another snack and I still have enough calories for the steak my husband is cooking for dinner tonight.

For me it's not having to worry about what I choose just picking what I feel like i.e. a normal entrée .

My usual day gives me about 250 kcal for breakfast, 550 kcal for lunch and 350 kcal for dinner with a little bit left for a snack. Where we usually eat out locally has mains that range from 800-1,200 kcal so for me having my cheat does involve going over.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I mostly plan but most of the time will try to fit it within my calories/macro for the day or make up within the few days around it.
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

You'd still have to eat (Weekly deficit + Maintenance cals) to wipe it out completely. But yeah, you have a much smaller buffer than me because you are so very tiny :smile:

My experience;
    If I burn an average of 3K a day my weekly maintenance calories would be 21K and to lose 2lbs I'd subtract 7K so my weekly calories for 2lbs of weight loss is 14K or 2,000 a day average.

Option A-
    Eat 2,000 calories a day which will allow weight loss of about 2lbs/wk.
    But, for me after several weeks of following this type of plan my weight-loss would gradually slow to a halt. Along with that, my food cravings would become intolerable.
    OptA = Diet-Plateau-Quit (Month later) Diet-Plateau-Quit..........This was my life.

Option B -
    Same numbers, eat 14K a week to lose 2lbs.
    For six days have 1,750 calories
    One day eat 3,500 calories
    OptB =I didn't plateau and lost weight like each week was my first week of dieting.

Once I hit the 100 pounds lost I made both Saturday and Sunday high calorie days and lost another 30lbs over the past 10+ years.
    No plateau, no weight rebound and I'm getting a bit leaner each year.

You need to know the Power of the Darkside

That's a cool way to think of it that I had not considered. I never really looked at calorie consumption beyond a 24-48 hour window. Since my calorie limit right now is relatively high (1,700s) compared to what I know I'm capable of maintaining comfortably this approach might be a good solution for me since I cannot always properly gauge when those hormonal cravings are going to hit. Thanks for the insight :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Calling it a "cheat day" makes it weird.. it's just life, pizza has to happen sometimes.

You can always make it fit as well if you're concerned, whether it's eating less throughout the day/week leading up to an event or spending an extra 10-15 min at the gym for a few days. It all evens out even if you "blow it" once in a while.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    PinkSuede wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong if a bite of a brownie is considered cheating.

Im sticking to a primarily clean diet so any seriously unclean foods or anything with sugar added it strictly reserved for cheat meals. And lets be serious. It wont be just one bite lol

You poor thing...

Not really. Since cutting out most processed foods and those with added sugar my cravings and appetite have been much more manageable when compared to eating whatever I want as long as it fits within my calorie budget. When I do eat sugar... the cravings for more sugar last about 24 hours. Usually I dont miss it at all. Out of sight, out of mind.....for the most part.

yet you're posting here about how to shoehorn everything you feel you 'cant' eat into a cheat day, so....?

That wasn't what I was asking at all. I am well aware you can't cheat the calorie system and I'm not looking for a way to try to. For you to imply that was my intention is ignorant, rude and condescending. If calorie counting for you or anyone else is simply about losing weight, gaining weight, muscle, etc...then by all means eat all the processed foods you want that fit into your plan if it's bringing you success in reaching your goals. I respect that and I'm happy for your success. For me personally it's more about overall improvement of my health and adapting to a healthier style of eating and eating processed foods and sugar on a regular basis are not part of that picture for me. For me this is a completely healthy, realistic and sustainable goal for myself. It doesn't make me immune to the occasional craving for junky foods but it definitely helps. Like I said, I get them less on this lifestyle.

My intention with this post was to find out from others what works for them to help me experiment in the best way to plan , or not plan, my cheat meals since my current plan doesn't seem to serve me well. Up until this point I have always planned 1 cheat meal a week. The problem with this is when my cheat meals are coming around I'm finding I don't really want them. I feel like I'd be just as happy eating my fish and veggies as I would a plate of pizza. On the flip side of that though (and I think other women may be able to relate) when I ovulate and 1-2 days pre-menses my cravings go sky high. Since my cycles are irregular ( PMDD and PCOS... a huge part of the reason I'm eating clean to begin with) I cannot plan my cheat meals for those days. Those days just become a bust, I can deal with 2 days a month being a bust but adding those 2 days on top of already planned cheat meals seems excessive and pointless. So I'm trying to decide if I should give up cheat meals and be more impulsive when the cravings hit during what I'll have to just assume is ovulation and PMS or stick to my current plan making the assumption that the cheat meals have been what keeps my cravings away to begin with.

My hunger does spike premenstrually and I eat at maintenance for a few days. (I no longer have premenstrual cravings; see my post above.)

I plan to have higher calorie food like pizza and pu pu platters at this time.

Since you're irregular, why not give up a few planned cheat meals and save them for for when you are pre-menses?
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Huh! Call it whatever you want, but this lady is on a "clean eating" diet plan. Eating anything outside of the confines of her chosen diet is "cheating." Eating pizza, brownies, and ice cream is cheating on mostly ALL serious diets! I once went on a fad diet that included hot dogs and vanilla ice cream, but I am talking about "serious diets", not fad diets.

However, I am like @extra_medium, but I believe that "fried chicken happens sometimes." I believe in moderation and self-control, and I believe that you can partake of something you crave sometimes. And I still track my food intake, and it does even out.

I am on the moderation and self-control diet. I crafted my diet from a combination of healthy diets (i.e. clean eating, Paleo, Mediterranean, LCHF, ADA Low Fat, etc.). And I have given myself the liberty to eat and drink what my body can handle in moderation, but the key is controlling when, how often and how much (self-control).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I don't do them. I see no point.

I incorporate what I like into my daily calories. Sometimes I eat at maintenance, but that's still much better than busting over 3000 calories on a cheat day/meal.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The best realistic advice is to have a "cheat meal" not a "cheat day". If you've worked out and ate at a deficit all week..eating a meal off your plan won't ruin your progress like eating all day long whatever you want.
    Myself.. I eat strict on plan for breakfast and lunch.. I workout.. then I will go out to dinner and just get what I want. Not much damage done at all..and it keeps me sane.

I don't like the word "cheat" for this but for the past 12+ years I have a planned 24-48 hour calorie surplus day/weekend each and every week. I look forward to it all week by taking mental notes of what I'm craving and having them guilt-free in just a few more days. I'm in control, I choose when I eat the foods that used to control me.

Doing this every week is why I was able to lose 100lbs 12 years ago and another 30lbs since.

Sorry, but it's not impossible at all. I'm currently losing .5lb/wk, which puts me at 1750 weekly deficit. I can personally attest that it's extremely easy to wipe that out in one day. I can even wipe it out in one meal, depending on what I'm having. Put me in a restaurant with chips and salsa and margaritas, and it's game on.

As for me, I don't do "cheat" meals anyway. I just ear what I want in moderation. If I go over some days then so be it. To me, "cheating" implies you're done something bad, which I'm not. I'm just eating.

ETA: Also, if you don't want a cheat day, why have one? I never understood this concept to begin with. Cheat meals don't do anything special except maybe slow your weight loss. Doesn't sound worthwhile to me.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong if a bite of a brownie is considered cheating.

Im sticking to a primarily clean diet so any seriously unclean foods or anything with sugar added it strictly reserved for cheat meals. And lets be serious. It wont be just one bite lol

You poor thing...

Not really. Since cutting out most processed foods and those with added sugar my cravings and appetite have been much more manageable when compared to eating whatever I want as long as it fits within my calorie budget. When I do eat sugar... the cravings for more sugar last about 24 hours. Usually I dont miss it at all. Out of sight, out of mind.....for the most part.

yet you're posting here about how to shoehorn everything you feel you 'cant' eat into a cheat day, so....?

That wasn't what I was asking at all. I am well aware you can't cheat the calorie system and I'm not looking for a way to try to. For you to imply that was my intention is ignorant, rude and condescending. If calorie counting for you or anyone else is simply about losing weight, gaining weight, muscle, etc...then by all means eat all the processed foods you want that fit into your plan if it's bringing you success in reaching your goals. I respect that and I'm happy for your success. For me personally it's more about overall improvement of my health and adapting to a healthier style of eating and eating processed foods and sugar on a regular basis are not part of that picture for me. For me this is a completely healthy, realistic and sustainable goal for myself. It doesn't make me immune to the occasional craving for junky foods but it definitely helps. Like I said, I get them less on this lifestyle.

My intention with this post was to find out from others what works for them to help me experiment in the best way to plan , or not plan, my cheat meals since my current plan doesn't seem to serve me well. Up until this point I have always planned 1 cheat meal a week. The problem with this is when my cheat meals are coming around I'm finding I don't really want them. I feel like I'd be just as happy eating my fish and veggies as I would a plate of pizza. On the flip side of that though (and I think other women may be able to relate) when I ovulate and 1-2 days pre-menses my cravings go sky high. Since my cycles are irregular ( PMDD and PCOS... a huge part of the reason I'm eating clean to begin with) I cannot plan my cheat meals for those days. Those days just become a bust, I can deal with 2 days a month being a bust but adding those 2 days on top of already planned cheat meals seems excessive and pointless. So I'm trying to decide if I should give up cheat meals and be more impulsive when the cravings hit during what I'll have to just assume is ovulation and PMS or stick to my current plan making the assumption that the cheat meals have been what keeps my cravings away to begin with.

Yes, but for you to imply that those of us who do indulge, while fitting things in our goal, are not bettering our health is no better :) Most of my diet is lean meat, steamed veggies, eggs, low fat cheeses. I will also include in bacon, if I want it. My point with my post above was that, life happens and if I am PMS'ing and want some chocolate, I have it! I just fit it in my goal for the day. I have no more cravings. My hunger has gone down. It's been very manageable. Clean eating is not bad if you can sustain it forever. I don't count my daily sweet as a cheat meal/treat. It is part of my daily calories and keeps me sane. I am not going to pass up birthday cake on my daughter's birthday. I'm going to eat less through the day and log it though. All of us are trying to better our health. My health has actually greatly improved already, even with the processed foods I do eat. Don't assume those who aren't clean eating are only here for the scale to move. If it works for you, great! I wish you the best!

Also, this. I eat "junk" and "processed" foods regularly, but because I have lost weight, my cholesterol, BP, and other blood work have shown tremendous improvements. Eating "clean" didn't get me there - losing 85lbs did. I also exercise, and it has improved my overall wellness. "Clean" eating, whatever the definition, is not the magic bullet to better health that it's made out to be. We are all here to better ourselves.
  • PDR85
    PDR85 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I go out to eat with the guys from work on Friday, where I don't stick to my usual eats... but I don't really consider anything I do "cheating" because the only things I wont eat are things that no one should ever consume... ever.