Scared of skinny!!

Options
2»

Replies

• seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wow...this topic really got me thinking! I guess in some ways I am scared also!

I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and gained it all back. I guess maybe I was frustrated, since I thought being thinner would change my life dramatically. In a lot of ways it did, but I still had the same problems and stresses-- work, school, relationship, etc. I tend to use food as a coping mechanism, and that's what I did when I came to the realization that being thinner didn't solve all of my problems. Sounds twisted, but I think it's a fairly common ailment!

Kudos to you for being considerate of others' feelings as you strive to make changes for YOU. Thank you so much for posting this and giving me some "food for thought." :-)

I think that sometimes we strive to keep others happy, and lose focus on what makes us happy. We tend to do that too often. I also lost 80 in the past, and gained 40 back when my son's leukemia returned. Stress eater!!! Now... it's time to focus on me again! Glad you're doing the same!
  • hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the same fear. I have lost a ton of weight and still have some more to go, but honestly, I still feel like the fat kid. I still don't feel like a skinny person even though I am now a healthy weight and wear a size 6 for the first time in I can't remember how long. I feel like a part of me will always feel like the fat kid no matter how much a weigh. I hope that prevents me from becoming a snobby, skinny person.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of skinny - not because I might change, but scared I won't be able to stay there.
    Like lots of people, I've lost weight before and then piled it back on again, so I'm scared of going back there.
    I know exactly what to do to stay at a healthy weight but I'm scared that I can't do it long term. I guess I'm scared that I will fail.
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    :smile:
    I have the same fear. I have lost a ton of weight and still have some more to go, but honestly, I still feel like the fat kid. I still don't feel like a skinny person even though I am now a healthy weight and wear a size 6 for the first time in I can't remember how long. I feel like a part of me will always feel like the fat kid no matter how much a weigh. I hope that prevents me from becoming a snobby, skinny person.

Just from reading your post.. I really don't think that will happen. I know a lot of really cool skinny people too.
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    I'm scared of skinny - not because I might change, but scared I won't be able to stay there.
    Like lots of people, I've lost weight before and then piled it back on again, so I'm scared of going back there.
    I know exactly what to do to stay at a healthy weight but I'm scared that I can't do it long term. I guess I'm scared that I will fail.

You're not alone. Fear of failure is why a lot of people give up. Just live day by day! Wake up every morning saying "today... is going to be a GREAT day!!!". If you fall 7 times, get up 8. Believe in yourself.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    nope you're definitely not alone on this one.
    Thank you for sharing your concerns.
    I don't want to become that type of person either.
    I want to be the one that remembers where she came from,
    and to be compassionate toward other people and to encourage
    and uplift them in their struggles.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Here's another twist to this. Sometimes we don't behave much differently after becoming slim, but others perceive our behaviour as being different...they're looking for the changes they expect and find them whether they're there or not...

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    nope you're definitely not alone on this one.
    Thank you for sharing your concerns.
    I don't want to become that type of person either.
    I want to be the one that remembers where she came from,
    and to be compassionate toward other people and to encourage
    and uplift them in their struggles.

I totally agree!
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    Here's another twist to this. Sometimes we don't behave much differently after becoming slim, but others perceive our behaviour as being different...they're looking for the changes they expect and find them whether they're there or not...

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:

I agree... to an extent. I guess I just had the wrong person flaunt their weighloss in my face. LOL!!! Most are probably not like that!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    just look at your reasons for wanting to get in shape. Nowhere does it say "because i wanna look super hot in a little black dress" or "so i can wear a bikini". you're here for the right reasons and you will not change into "one of those". you're on the right track, and just the fact that you're worried about changing into someone else, is a big sign that you're NOT going to :flowerforyou:

good luck!!!
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    just look at your reasons for wanting to get in shape. Nowhere does it say "because i wanna look super hot in a little black dress" or "so i can wear a bikini". you're here for the right reasons and you will not change into "one of those". you're on the right track, and just the fact that you're worried about changing into someone else, is a big sign that you're NOT going to :flowerforyou:

good luck!!!

Thank you!
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    Thank you!
    I fear what I will be when I reach my goal. I don't want to be that person that people hate because I achieved my goal! When I was in college I had a 4.0 and people hated me because I was smart.
    I don't want to change and end up a catty skinny broad who is too good for anyone. I don't think I will end up that way though because I have always been accepting of people of all types. I will continue to support and accept all my friends.
    It is nice to see others feel the same though!

Your awareness is awesome and will keep you from becoming that person you don't want to be. But if people want to tear you down because you celebrate yourself for becoming healthy, they might not be the best kind of friends to have....

Have a terrific day!
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    Thank you!
    I fear what I will be when I reach my goal. I don't want to be that person that people hate because I achieved my goal! When I was in college I had a 4.0 and people hated me because I was smart.
    I don't want to change and end up a catty skinny broad who is too good for anyone. I don't think I will end up that way though because I have always been accepting of people of all types. I will continue to support and accept all my friends.
    It is nice to see others feel the same though!

Your awareness is awesome and will keep you from becoming that person you don't want to be. But if people want to tear you down because you celebrate yourself for becoming healthy, they might not be the best kind of friends to have....

Have a terrific day!

Absolutely! I guess we just need to continue to be who we are. There will always be people who don't like us for one reason or another. Their loss! :tongue:
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    wow... lots of replies! I guess I'm not the only one.
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    bump
  • BobertC
    BobertC Posts: 123
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it there are plenty of skinny girls that are cool too. my wife is like that, but she one of those people that has never been big. I don't think you'll change if you don't want to, I'm planning on staying chill, but I might go topless more after I've lost 50 or so more lbs.

EXACTLY!!! I think that I'm just scared that my confidence will come off as arrogance. Arrogant people are my pet peeve!! lol I have always surrounded myself with skinny people, and I gotta say... they're pretty awesome too!

I'm not worried about being arrogant, I'll just go swimming with friends more and such, and I'll enjoy hot tub parties again.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard wat that the only safe time or place to act like you are proud of your accomplishment is here on MFP.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Yes, I worry about this too! Especially having been overweight for SO long.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I think, if you have a level head now, you'll still have it when you lose the weight. People rarely experience a complete personality change, but certain things may cause them to show their true colors. I think the fact that you're concerned about this shows that you're not one of those people.
  • seriousaboutlife
    Options
    I had a nice loooooong chat with one of my sisters about this topic today. She said that she was concerned that when I had kids, that I would change... and I didn't. I'm just as crazy now (or even a bit crazier) than I was then. That gives me some sort of peace. lol