Anyone else here dealing with PTSD?

Options
sakat726
sakat726 Posts: 20 Member
Hi everyone,

so I'm really still near the beginning of my weight loss journey. My starting (max) weight was about 160-162 lb, I'm now fluctuating between 156-157, and my initial goal is 140 lb (after that, I hope to go down to 125-130, but I'll re-assess when I get to 140). My problem is that I'm suffering from PTSD, and while I'll be completely good at logging/not going over my daily calories most of the time, sometimes I have a really bad day/couple of days where something triggers the PTSD, and it's all I can do to keep myself alive let alone watching food. I keep gaining back weight I lose on these bad days.

I've got a decent therapist and am taking antidepressants which help a lot, but I still have complete "crisis" moments several days a month where I am basically not functional. On those days, I eat whatever I want to because I don't have the emotional energy to care about my weight. Last weekend, I gained 2 lb back that I lost because I had a total meltdown.

Is anyone else going through this? Just would be nice to not feel alone in it.

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not any more. I did for a time after I got back from Iraq, but it slowly went away. I know others who still have problems and they came back before me. You need some close friends who understand what caused it, that you can vent to. Talking helps, even though you usually don't want to. It may never go away 100% but you can become manageable with it. Don't put yourself on any time to "get over it". One last time, TALK IT OUT with someone, it really helps.
  • Vonnarh1979
    Vonnarh1979 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from PTSD
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Like the above says you really have to be eating a LOT to have gained weight in those few days. If you know that a few days a month are inevitable for now, perhaps eliminate junk from your house if that's possible? Or just one 'treat' so even if consumed it won't out you over.
    If u have no emotional energy to look after yourself those days perhaps not having junk at your finger tips could help as it will be more of an effort to go out n get it you could also have some microwave 'healthy' meals in freezer for those days when cooking be impossible. Or have pre made home made meal portions in freezer?
  • lilsteig
    lilsteig Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD and I completely understand the struggle. I am on meds and they certainly don't help the weight loss efforts, but since they are crucial for me to function, I'm trying to work with it. Feel free to add me, I'm always willing to lend a supportive shoulder to another sufferer.