Be patient...the scale WILL move

Options
I have been so frustrated with the scale after a month of hard work! I aim for a calorie deficit of 1,000 a day. I have had very few slip ups and I try to overestimate my calories when I'm not sure. I have noticed some changes in the way my clothes fit but I really need that validation by seeing an actual number get smaller. And it also didn't help that people were insisting that I wasn't in a deficit when in fact I knew I was.

I see so many people with similar frustrations; trust me, it will get better. I lost 30 lbs two years ago that I am trying to get back off again so I should know better than to second guess my effort. But the difference between then and now is that I did NOT own a scale lol. I was not obsessed about my weight I just worked hard on eating at deficit and working out a lot.

So here are my insane fluctuations:

8/7 - 166.4
8/12 - 164.8
8/25 - 167
8/27 - 165.8
8/30 - 167.4
9/1 - 165.8
9/2 - 162.6

If you are logging correctly and tracking your activity, you are going in the right direction. Don't second guess science and don't think you are an anomaly.

Replies

• ineego
    ineego Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar weight log....good to know I am not alone. I would like to see my last number drop like yours, but as you say...dont second guess science. Patience is probably the hardest part of this journey.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm almost exactly the same. After a month, I'm still going up and down with the same 5 lbs. But I also can notice the difference in the way my clothes fit. One reason the scale doesn't bother me so much is because I take measurements, and track that. That's where I see the biggest changes, so even if the scale doesn't move, my measurements change and that really is such a motivation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Very common for women because of water fluctuations from our cycle.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This was used in other thread just yesterday. Its a good read, especially for daily scale users.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1
  • jevvel1
    jevvel1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been logging food for 50 days and walking 2 miles a day (only for about 2 weeks). The scale won't move. Not even a pound. I find it very discouraging. I'm trying to focus on the fact that I'm getting stronger, but lately that's not enough encouragement. But I still keep plugging along - I mean it's got to move eventually right???? I find solace in knowing I'm not alone.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    jevvel1 wrote: »
    I have been logging food for 50 days and walking 2 miles a day (only for about 2 weeks). The scale won't move. Not even a pound. I find it very discouraging. I'm trying to focus on the fact that I'm getting stronger, but lately that's not enough encouragement. But I still keep plugging along - I mean it's got to move eventually right???? I find solace in knowing I'm not alone.

After 50 days if the scale has not moved at all, I would say you are likely not in a deficit. How are you measuring your portions? If you are using a digital kitchen scale for all solids (including those that are grated (eg. cheese) or ground (eg. peanut butter)) make sure the database entries you are using are correct. Even weigh things like slices or bread and other pre-portioned stuff since there can be huge amounts of variation in many of them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    g9a7a6mlw5wk.png

Now you know when I ovulated and was pre-menstrual, lol. The big spike last late October / early November was when I started lifting weights again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great thread!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that first "big loss" in the first week of dieting. It took THREE WEEKS to lose my first pound. Man was I hungry! But a few weeks more, and i dropped weight steadily, I just had to stick with it!
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    I didn't have that first "big loss" in the first week of dieting. It took THREE WEEKS to lose my first pound. Man was I hungry! But a few weeks more, and i dropped weight steadily, I just had to stick with it!

This is my story. And when I started losing, I was losing. My body had to adjust and catch up.