New Runner

Options
Hello,

I've started running the last 2 weeks. I've never been a runner and what I do is more of an ungraceful jog.

I complete 1 mile in 13 minutes. I know that's not great.. just where I'm at.

While jogging my calf, on one side, gets visibly larger, tight, and hard. The other side is fine, but my ankle/achilles is very sore.

I am curious how much of this is normal, and I'm just out of shape. Or if I'm not stretching correctly and maybe any of you could share a better way of doing so?

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you running in?

Do you under-pronate, over-pronate when you walk or run?

The calf that gets visibly larger...is the same leg that is dominant for you?

Have you had any previous injuries with your legs or feet?

When you are first starting out as a runner, you are using your tendons, joints and muscles in ways that you haven't done before. As such, they are (often times) doing to respond to the stress by tightening up and getting sore.

Are you walking after you get done with your run? That is a good way to help your muscles relax.

Have you done any foam rolling?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    First, I suggest starting some sort of structured program for beginners like Couch to 5k or hook up with a local running store or group that offers beginner programs. Going 1 mile after 2 weeks may be pushing it more than your body can handle.

Second, if you are running hard to get the 13 minute mile (which isn't bad, BTW), you should slow down. Running should be easy. If you are breathing hard, you are over doing it.

And I agree with the shoes recommendation. Wearing the wrong shoe type can cause issues. Get your stride evaluated at a local running store (specialty store that caters to runners) and see what kind of shoe you should be wearing. Then invest in a decent pair (you don't have to spend a fortune for decent shoes).
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I been running for 3 summers. I only run in spring and summer and I do a 12 or 13 minutes mile. Maybe slow down.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Amazon has Personal Running Trainer programs. 4 weeks to a mile, 8 weeks to 5K, 8 weeks to 10K, 12 weeks a Half Marathon and x weeks to a Marathon. Similar to C25K everyone here talks about. Worth a try.

Start with a brisk walk of 5 minutes or so, get into your run, slow, breathing should allow you to be able to hold a conversation, walk 5 minutes, or so, thereafter. (warm up, run and cool down). Stretch after your cool down. Shower and enjoy the rest of your day/night.

Most of all, enjoy.

• jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've just starting running too and found after the first time I had terrible aches and pains. Now I do a 5 minute brisk walk before running and a 3 minute walk afterwards to cool down. Now I don't suffer from any aches and pains (apart from one on the front of my shin strangely)!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If your leg is visibly swelling when running for a short period of time like this...you should possibly see a doctor.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    First, I suggest starting some sort of structured program for beginners like Couch to 5k or hook up with a local running store or group that offers beginner programs. Going 1 mile after 2 weeks may be pushing it more than your body can handle.

Second, if you are running hard to get the 13 minute mile (which isn't bad, BTW), you should slow down. Running should be easy. If you are breathing hard, you are over doing it.

And I agree with the shoes recommendation. Wearing the wrong shoe type can cause issues. Get your stride evaluated at a local running store (specialty store that caters to runners) and see what kind of shoe you should be wearing. Then invest in a decent pair (you don't have to spend a fortune for decent shoes).

This. All of this. Go get your stride evaluated. People like to refer to running as a sport anyone can just get up and do - however doing that is how people end up with injuries, aches and pains. There is such a thing as proper running form. Biomechanics play a huge role into your success with running.
  • AFewLionCubs
    AFewLionCubs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delayed reply.

I wear Nike Free shoes. I prefer being barefoot and they're very light weight. I will definitely look into others though.

I think part of the issue I'm having is that I have high arches that collapse. My ankles sort of turn in. The area hurting is called peroneal?

I am very surprised to see that 13 minutes is decent. I am quite tall and I'm wondering if a long stride is why?

I walk a track around the football field. I walk 2 laps, then run a football length Then walk the width and run again... and that's the cycle until my 1 mile. Then, I walk awhile. I will look into an official program though.
  • AFewLionCubs
    AFewLionCubs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    oh yes, I've fractured my femur and hyper extended my knee. I'm very clumsy and I get hurt a lot.
  • RNinPitts
    RNinPitts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new activity. Running is a great cardio and stamina builder. Stretching and warm up is so important, as is proper shoes. It's hard to pay attention to your form while your running. It's key to staying injury free.

I've read some great tips in. The blog mfp for stretching and form.