New to strength training - Need help!

Options
Hey everyone! I do cardio 6 days a week, and 3 weeks ago I added in strength training 2 days a week. I've noticed a big difference in my body shape and the way my clothes fit, but my weight loss has halted. From what I understand, this is to be expected with strength training. However, I do still weigh 250 lbs. Is there an average timeline as to when the weight loss will pick back up? I love the fact that I am noticing a difference in my body, but I don't want to stay at 250! Thanks in advance!

34 y.o. female
5'9"
SW 280
CW 250
GW (for now) 180

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    are you looking into calories and are at a deficit?
  • AmandaLawter
    AmandaLawter Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    are you looking into calories and are at a deficit?

Mostly, yes. I have noticed that I am hungrier since starting strength training. I don't enter in all of my exercise calories, so I'm only eating back some of them. I am set at 1500 a day.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Strength training will build muscle, but you should continue to eat at a caloric deficit and lose weight.

Perhaps continue for the time being, but if you keep stalling, decrease calories by 100. Also, measure yourself - it is common for those who strength train to lose inches and not lbs (though for you, losing weight needs to happen for you to reach your goal).
  • abadvat
    Options
    newbie temp gains that won't last.
    Building strength and loosing weight is an oxymoron as at 2 opposites of the caloric daily requirements.
  • abadvat
    Options
    Building strength and loosing weight is an oxymoron as at 2 opposites of the caloric daily requirements.

I am hoping your mistyped. Building muscle and losing fat are opposites, however, one can still build substantial amounts of strength. Also, with people who are obese, there is still lots of energy available from fat stores so small amounts of muscle can be built even while losing weight.

To the original poster, it is likely water weight being used to repair the micro-damage strength training does to the muscle (that is how they get stronger). It will pass in time. I would suggest that you start measuring your body (chest, waist, and hips at the very least) every 3-4 weeks, as that will show changes that might be masked on the scale for a while.

not necessarily mistyped - on a cut your strength will only increase so much before it stalls - off course someone who is starting will see some progress but will eventually hit a wall as opposed to loosing weight which will remain more regular.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options

I am hoping your mistyped. Building muscle and losing fat are opposites, however, one can still build substantial amounts of strength. Also, with people who are obese, there is still lots of energy available from fat stores so small amounts of muscle can be built even while losing weight.

To the original poster, it is likely water weight being used to repair the micro-damage strength training does to the muscle (that is how they get stronger). It will pass in time. I would suggest that you start measuring your body (chest, waist, and hips at the very least) every 3-4 weeks, as that will show changes that might be masked on the scale for a while.

not necessarily mistyped - on a cut your strength will only increase so much before it stalls - off course someone who is starting will see some progress but will eventually hit a wall as opposed to loosing weight which will remain more regular.

I disagree - Strength gains are still made on a cut, especially if you have excess body fat (enough to drive the metabolic process of building muscle). Of course you won't build strength and mass as well as if you were on a bulk, but that's fine - Cut, lose fat, gain strength works especially for an untrained novice.

I am well past novice stage and have still made strength gains on a -250 to -500 calorie deficit, but I could not increase the weight quickly (I switched to a monthly progression program and continuously hit PRs).

The rule of strength training and cutting is to keep intensity (the weight lifted) the same, but decrease volume IF you feeling beat up all the time.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Strength doesnt equal muscle being built, yes the two are highly related but you can improve strength while maintaining the same muscle mass. Also improvement in form that comes with strength training can allow you too lift more.

Furthermore strength training in a deficit will not cause you to stop seeing weight loss, except for maybe initially when your body holds more water. But it wont be muscle mass its just water that makes the scale higher.

As a new lifter you can build a little muscle, a certainly a good amount of strength in a deficit but i agree itll taper off.

Building muscle needs a claorie surplus, burning fat needs a deficit. You body doesnt convert stored fat into muscle it doesnt work that way...

OP if you arent losing weight i would look at your calorie intake. Possibly you are over estimating your calorie burn and eating back too much. Do you weight all your food?

Also definately keep lifting to help RETAIN muscle mass as you lose weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I go with water retention. You haven't gained that much muscle in three weeks lifting 2 times a week
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In my personal opinion, from my own personal experience you're doing too much cardio.

Now before anyone jumps on me I want to reiterate this is my own experience. I have lost 163lbs in almost a years time from exclusive lifting and diet.

My strength has consistently gone up during this time and only recently have my lifts gone down.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    In my personal opinion, from my own personal experience you're doing too much cardio.

Now before anyone jumps on me I want to reiterate this is my own experience. I have lost 163lbs in almost a years time from exclusive lifting and diet.

My strength has consistently gone up during this time and only recently have my lifts gone down.

Well yeah... because the most effective way to lose weight is proper diet. Cardio should be done for heart and lung health. It can aid weight loss but shoildnt be driving it. I wouldnt say anyone is doing too much cardio, the extra cardio cant hurt the weight loss. But youre right, it isnt necessary.
  • fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Well yeah... because the most effective way to lose weight is proper diet. Cardio should be done for heart and lung health. It can aid weight loss but shoildnt be driving it. I wouldnt say anyone is doing too much cardio, the extra cardio cant hurt the weight loss. But youre right, it isnt necessary.

I will agree with MsSquatAlot. I had the same experience. I was a big cardio junkie and did light strength training. Once I stopped the long cardio and focused more on strength, I started losing fat pretty quickly and gaining a lot of strength. Too much long cardio breaks down muscle, which lowers metabolism. The OP's strength routine might be preventing some muscle loss though, but all the cardio is not helping her gain much muscle. But this is assuming her cardio sessions are long steady state cardio, which is what most people seem to do.
  • tillerstouch
    Options
    fleur23xx wrote: »

I will agree with MsSquatAlot. I had the same experience. I was a big cardio junkie and did light strength training. Once I stopped the long cardio and focused more on strength, I started losing fat pretty quickly and gaining a lot of strength. Too much long cardio breaks down muscle, which lowers metabolism. The OP's strength routine might be preventing some muscle loss though, but all the cardio is not helping her gain much muscle. But this is assuming her cardio sessions are long steady state cardio, which is what most people seem to do.

I would just clarify that cardio prevents muscle building only because it increases your calorie deficit, the higher the deficit the more muscle mass youd lose. If you ate back the exact amount of calories you burned it wouldnt effect muscle building.
  • fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I would just clarify that cardio prevents muscle building only because it increases your calorie deficit, the higher the deficit the more muscle mass youd lose. If you ate back the exact amount of calories you burned it wouldnt effect muscle building.

I see what you're saying, didn't look at it that way. But unless you love doing endless amounts of cardio, it's just easier and more sustainable to do less cardio and work on strength. Or you could just eat more I guess, but I think that would effect weight loss.
  • tillerstouch
    Options

I see what you're saying, didn't look at it that way. But unless you love doing endless amounts of cardio, it's just easier and more sustainable to do less cardio and work on strength. Or you could just eat more I guess, but I think that would effect weight loss.

Right im not disagreeing i just want to clarify for anyone who might be reading this and trying to learn. Diet for weight loss, exercise for health. Do the cardio for your heart, lungs etc. not to try to create a calorie deficit.

And eating more only would effect weight loss if it took you out of a deficit. If you do tons of cardio to eat more thats fine as long as you dont eat more then the calories you burned doing all that extra cardio.
  • AmandaLawter
    AmandaLawter Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! It looks like I need to be more strict with my calories in and not focus so much on my calories out. I exercise because it makes me feel good, but I also like the extra calorie padding. I have lost 30 lbs, so I've done something right along the way. It's just been a very slooooooow process!