How was my intake today?

Options
My diary is public.
Sticking to 1300 calories to lose 20 lbs. I am a 21 year old female, 5' and weigh 129.5 lbs. I average about 3000 steps a day when not in school.
I'm trying to avoid animal biproducts like cheese, milk, deli meats, meat, etc. I'm not vegetarian or vegan but would like to transition later on. Main goal is to lose weight the healthy way.
Snack suggestions? Not sure what to eat that will keep me satiated between meals.

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Roasted seaweed. I don't know if it's satiating but it's a good snack and low in calories.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Soy milk has more protein than coconut milk. Also you might enjoy cooking pinto bean chili, black bean dishes, kale and lentil soup.
    http://www.hummusapien.com/hearty-lentil-kale-potato-soup/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why adults would need snacks daily. If you eat good and filling meals, there should be no need for snacks.
  • graceklaas03
    graceklaas03 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why adults would need snacks daily. If you eat good and filling meals, there should be no need for snacks.

It's the combination of filling meals that is a challenge, give examples of filling and satiating meals please.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

It's the combination of filling meals that is a challenge, give examples of filling and satiating meals please.

The feelings of satiety, hunger and appetite is subjective, and what is filling, satiating and satisfying is individual. This can also be influenced by habits, attitude and environment. For most people, balance and variety is key. But again, balance can be achieved in a lot of different ways, and we tend to stick to our favorites, so too much focus on "variety" is also a bit lame.

Because eating is so personal, and can and should be flexible, I'm not going to provide concrete examples (you can google "XXXX calorie meal plan" if you want to) - but I aim to get in something from all the food groups every day, while variying between different items within each group, and eating only things I like. All my meals are based on a combination of protein, fat (preferably a naturally fatty protein source) and vegetables. Then I have 2 or 3 portions of fruit per day. Every day I also have dairy, (whole) grains and/or starchy vegetables, and often nuts.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

pick one
    The feelings of satiety, hunger and appetite is subjective, and what is filling, satiating and satisfying is individual.

Because eating is so personal, and can and should be flexible

Anyways, there are people who prefer different eating styles. I would rather snack and munch all day long (graze) than eat multiple big filling meals. personal preference.

to the OP, you're on target for calorie intake, however, your protein is far too low while carbohydrates are very high. This might not be an issue right now, but it will certainly be an issue with satiety as you continue to lose weight. I also eat vegetarian and around the same calories, however, i'm able to consume enough protein.

I want to stress that the protein goal you current have set is a MINIMUM that you should be aiming for. I'm going to PM you a link with more information, but it's important that you consume adequate protein as you lose weight ESPECIALLY as a vegan/vegetarian as most of the protein sources we consume lack the full spectrum of amino acids.

Here's a day where i ate around the same calories, but nearly triple the amount of protein. And i had dessert.

dx1gsm.png

Obviously you need to find an eating style and plan that works best for you, but i would agree to add some more protein rich items like beans, lentils, tofu, maybe some dairy products like greek yogurt, etc.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

0u5chptnyp6c.jpeg

• AlishaBaxmann
    AlishaBaxmann Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

pick one
    The feelings of satiety, hunger and appetite is subjective, and what is filling, satiating and satisfying is individual.

Anyways, there are people who prefer different eating styles. I would rather snack and munch all day long (graze) than eat multiple big filling meals. personal preference.

to the OP, you're on target for calorie intake, however, your protein is far too low while carbohydrates are very high. This might not be an issue right now, but it will certainly be an issue with satiety as you continue to lose weight. I also eat vegetarian and around the same calories, however, i'm able to consume enough protein.

I want to stress that the protein goal you current have set is a MINIMUM that you should be aiming for. I'm going to PM you a link with more information, but it's important that you consume adequate protein as you lose weight ESPECIALLY as a vegan/vegetarian as most of the protein sources we consume lack the full spectrum of amino acids.

Here's a day where i ate around the same calories, but nearly triple the amount of protein. And i had dessert.

dx1gsm.png

Obviously you need to find an eating style and plan that works best for you, but i would agree to add some more protein rich items like beans, lentils, tofu, maybe some dairy products like greek yogurt, etc.

I see what you mean. Luckily for me I already have beans, lentils and greek yogurt are staples in my house (I live at home still) and I really enjoy. So I'll make sure to add that to my daily intake to ensure I get more protein. Thanks a ton for the visual, if your diary is open can I add you as a friend so I can take a peek at your intake when I feel stuck?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

pick one

dx1gsm.png

I see what you mean. Luckily for me I already have beans, lentils and greek yogurt are staples in my house (I live at home still) and I really enjoy. So I'll make sure to add that to my daily intake to ensure I get more protein. Thanks a ton for the visual, if your diary is open can I add you as a friend so I can take a peek at your intake when I feel stuck?

You're welcome to add me, unfortunately, I no longer track on MyfitnessPal as I've maintained my weight loss for roughly 4 years now! I joined in 2011 and tracked until 2014. Now I eat roughly the same thing all the time and hardly track. :(
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to eat mainly plant based, some suggestions would be: cranraisins/raisins+peanuts/almonds/nuts, banana and peanut butter, hummus and carrots/celery, fruits. as for low calorie, non-fruit/veggies: dark chocolate, and popcorn. I always snack lol