Carbs or protein for breakfast.

Options
What do most of you prefer to eat for breakfast carb or protein based foods.
I myself eat oatmeal and berries so would be carb based but i get so hungry about 1 hour later i need to eat again so i was thinking maybe switch to eggs and toast.

What do you all prefer.
Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Both
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I prefer mixture; sausage, egg, cheese with onion and peppers in a tortilla. You get carbs, protein, fats, and fiber.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh both!! Like I had egg tacos yesterday. Very delicious!! :blush:
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Whatever suits your needs and preferences.
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats. You're hungry again because you ate a bowl of grains and your body wanted protein and fats. When you eat processed carbs and grains like that, your sugars go up and insulin gets released. The result of a large insulin spike is a small crash or hunger feeling.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do better on complex carbs, which naturally ends up including some protein, anyhow. Having anything but a very large meat/egg breakfast gives me a stonking headache, but unsweetened nutty muesli with unsweeened soya milk seems to settle my stomach and get me going without giving me the mid morning shakes that a less complex carb breakfast give me Has to be soya milk. I have lactofree in my coffee but hate the taste on my muesli (or in porridge). Rice/oat/homeopathic almond milk leave me shaky as they have bog all protein in them and are usually too sugary.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    What do most of you prefer to eat for breakfast carb or protein based foods.
    I myself eat oatmeal and berries so would be carb based but i get so hungry about 1 hour later i need to eat again so i was thinking maybe switch to eggs and toast.

What do you all prefer.
    Thanks

Do you make the oatmeal with milk or water, btw? Makes a difference in how sustaining it is. Maybe add some Greek yogurt to it if you don't fancy anything else.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Both! I often do oatmeal mixed with protein powder, powdered PB, hemp hearts, and fruit.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Eggs 90% of the time. Some days on the weekends we have pancakes or French toast (so carb-y) but we always have bacon with it so as to keep my protein up.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Both.

I eat a pretty high carb breakfast currently (smoothie with a good mix of fruits and veg), but with some protein powder and misc other protein (28 g this morning), and am every bit as satiated as I was when doing a vegetable omelet with smoked salmon or cottage cheese on the side, for the same calories. Omelet was more balanced, similar amount of protein or slightly more; current breakfast is much higher carb/lower fat.

Fat does nothing for me when it comes to satiety. Protein and fiber are what matter.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Carbs.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This morning a feckoff omelette, with curly kale, a mountain of Parmesan cheese and a few cherry tomatoes all pan fried in 2 dessert spoons of coconut oil. I ate that at 10:30. Then I had lunch (two seabass fillets) at 14:30. I started feeling hungry again around 22:30 so had a few chunks of cheese. I also whipped some cream and threw a few strawberries and blueberries in there.
  • AveyHam
    AveyHam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Carbs because i workout in the morning usually it's peanut butter chocolate and banana overnight oats (:
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Carbs, protein and fats. 2 slices of sprouted grain bread with butter, one egg, and usually a slice of cheese under the egg :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Protein over carbs. Carbs don't fill me up very long.

Honestly, it's fat over protein any day for me.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer both, with some fat thrown in.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would prefer protein: gives me more energy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Both will keep me fuller longer.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    eggs and toast is both
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a physical job. The best thing to keep me going is a combination of both. Carbs for quick energy and protein to feed working muscles. Cereal with whole milk and some yogurt works well to get me through to lunch.