Im not going to gain on maintenance ?

Options
Untilproud11
Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Very curious how to go on maintenance... How can i not gain by increasing my cals by 200 + ?
So scared of gaining
Plz help

Replies

• Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not Understanding You Post Fully, If You're Eating At A Maitenance Level, That's The Amount Of Calories You Would Eat To Maintain Weight. If You Add To That, That Puts You At A "Surplus"
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No, you won't gain on maintenance. With the calories you're eating now, you are slowly losing. By increasing the calories by a small amount, you will "maintain" your current weight. If you do a large increase in calories, you'll gain weight.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    @mita271 Take things slowly. Up your calories the 200 for several weeks, at least 2 but 3 would be better. Monitor your weight during that time and if you find you are consistently gaining during those weeks, drop your calories 100 and monitor for another few weeks. If you find you're still losing, add 100 and monitor for a few weeks.

Finding your maintenance level will take a little while. Just don't panic if there's some fluctuations upward when you first add. That's normal, especially when adding carbs (water weight). Keep the added calories for at least 2-3 wks before changing them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Cchioles wrote: »
    Not Understanding You Post Fully, If You're Eating At A Maitenance Level, That's The Amount Of Calories You Would Eat To Maintain Weight. If You Add To That, That Puts You At A "Surplus"

OP means adding in the deficit calories to reach maintenance. If s/he is eating a 200 calorie deficit, will adding the 200 calories cause her/him to gain. It will, but it's water for muscles and will balance out. If you're scared of gaining, take it slow in adding back the calories.

I gained 2# going to maintenance and it leveled out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    Very curious how to go on maintenance... How can i not gain by increasing my cals by 200 + ?
    So scared of gaining
    Plz help

200 cals extra won't make you gain weight
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    @mita271 Take things slowly. Up your calories the 200 for several weeks, at least 2 but 3 would be better. Monitor your weight during that time and if you find you are consistently gaining during those weeks, drop your calories 100 and monitor for another few weeks. If you find you're still losing, add 100 and monitor for a few weeks.

Finding your maintenance level will take a little while. Just don't panic if there's some fluctuations upward when you first add. That's normal, especially when adding carbs (water weight). Keep the added calories for at least 2-3 wks before changing them.
    Why do this? If the OP is in a deficit there is no reason to add 200 calories over the course of 2-3 weeks. That just puts them in a deficit for longer. If their desire is to maintain then they can up their calories to maintenance. The only thing that would be gained would be water weight. Fat cannot be gained when eating maintenance. Why would adding 200 calories add weight? Even if the OP were eating maintenance now, and she added 200 calories to make her in a surplus it would take over 2 weeks to gain a single lb of fat assuming none of the surplus went to muscle gains. All of that will get masked by water weight shifts anyways. The bottom line is that if you are eating maintenance, you will not gain fat. If you gain any weight at all it's water/glycogen and shouldn't be worried about. So unless the OP wants to remain in a deficit for 2-3 additional weeks, there's no real benefit to adding calories back so slowly.

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

Why do this? If the OP is in a deficit there is no reason to add 200 calories over the course of 2-3 weeks. That just puts them in a deficit for longer. If their desire is to maintain then they can up their calories to maintenance. The only thing that would be gained would be water weight. Fat cannot be gained when eating maintenance. Why would adding 200 calories add weight? Even if the OP were eating maintenance now, and she added 200 calories to make her in a surplus it would take over 2 weeks to gain a single lb of fat assuming none of the surplus went to muscle gains. All of that will get masked by water weight shifts anyways. The bottom line is that if you are eating maintenance, you will not gain fat. If you gain any weight at all it's water/glycogen and shouldn't be worried about. So unless the OP wants to remain in a deficit for 2-3 additional weeks, there's no real benefit to adding calories back so slowly.

I never suggested they add 200 over the course of several weeks. I said add them and then monitor for several weeks. If they're still losing, add more. If they're gaining, drop slightly.
  • vismal
    Options

I never suggested they add 200 over the course of several weeks. I said add them and then monitor for several weeks. If they're still losing, add more. If they're gaining, drop slightly.
    The wording was funny, but either way, even if she gains weight after upping 200 calories, she should not drop them. She will gain some weight but it will be water weight and that's no reason to reduce calories.

• kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You'll be fine :smile: I lost 25 pounds, and then shifted to maintenance. I dropped a few more pounds below my goal weight at first, and then things stabilized. I continue to monitor my weight daily and use trendweight.com to be sure I'm not gaining beyond my goal range. I also made sure I logged everything for a few months into maintenance.

At this point, I no longer log my food, but I do weigh all calorie dense foods, including peanut butter, pasta, breads, proteins, things like that...to be sure I'm not overdoing it and I'm getting my portion sizes correct. Beyond that, I just go by however hungry I am on any particular day, and use vegetables and fruit to fill me up. When my weight creeps up a little (like a few pounds), then I cut back on what I'm eating for a few days until I drop back down. It's a rhythm, really.

Good luck!
  • Untilproud11
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank u all
    Yes maintenance is more confusing that i thought !
    If i make any error during a week in my logging i feel that it did not work...so im thinking maintenance will make me gain
    Im just so scared of gaining after losing almost 50lbs
    Im travelling next month for about 3 months and wanted to be in maintenance so I don't gain on holidays ...
    Im still confused on what to do
    I wanted to lose more but seems impossible, once I started working out my body changed a lot I actually like it , but the number on the scale didn't...kinda annoying
    My stats in case anyone want to advice...
    28 years old
    139lbs
    5'2
    1500cals
    30 min workout 5 times a week(YouTube videos)

Did low carb for a while it worked but I couldn't maintain it , i just love carbs lol
    I eat all I like as long as it fits in my daily allowance, is that ok ?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How much have you been losing per week the last 2 months? If you've lost the recommended 0.5 per week as you approached maintenance, that would be 250 cals per day. If you add 250 cals per day, and are weighing your food accurately, there is no reason to think you would gain. CICO works in maintenance too.if you've gained after a month, allowing for normal fluctuations, then you just cut cals a bit and recheck your weighing and logging. You're not going to regain all the weight in a short time unless you allow yourself to binge or quit counting cals too soon.
  • vismal
    Options
    Thank u all
    If i make any error during a week in my logging i feel that it did not work...so im thinking maintenance will make me gain
    Im travelling next month for about 3 months and wanted to be in maintenance so I don't gain on holidays ...
    I wanted to lose more but seems impossible, once I started working out my body changed a lot I actually like it , but the number on the scale didn't...kinda annoying
    28 years old
    139lbs
    5'2
    1500cals

Did low carb for a while it worked but I couldn't maintain it , i just love carbs lol
    Maintenance shouldn't be any more confusing then a deficit. If you were able to log calories successfully enough to lose weight then there really isn't any real reason you shouldn't be able to log them well enough to maintain weight. The scale will likely raise a bit at first, that is water weight, and it's unavoidable so be prepared. Once the initial water weight comes on, you shouldn't see significant changes in weight over time. This isn't to say that the normal fluctuations of weight won't occur. I never think of maintenance as a single number, rather a range. If I am maintaining at 200 lbs, I expect my daily weights to be anywhere from 195-205. It helps to use a site like trendweight.com to log daily weights and get an average. It will help you sort out what is actual weight gain and what is fluctuation. If you find you are gaining significant weight over the long haul, then you are eating above maintenance and either need to tighten up logging accuracy or reduce total calorie/increase activity. Again, it's not really any more or less complicated then eating in a deficit and it would take quite a long time for small inaccuracies in logging to result in significant fat gain.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    While I agree with all the others that if you calculate your numbers correctly, you won't gain anything more than temporary water weight by upping your cals and permanently eating at maintenance... Your comment about traveling for 3 months would make me think that logging accurately would be difficult, likely not using a food scale, and so I would maybe continue to try to eat at a slight deficit to have a buffer to account for inaccuracies.

You said you are 5'2 and eating 1500/day then working out, are you eating back exercise calories? Are you losing weight at that calorie level? How much/week? For how long? Have you calculated your TDEE?
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    While I agree with all the others that if you calculate your numbers correctly, you won't gain anything more than temporary water weight by upping your cals and permanently eating at maintenance... Your comment about traveling for 3 months would make me think that logging accurately would be difficult, likely not using a food scale, and so I would maybe continue to try to eat at a slight deficit to have a buffer to account for inaccuracies.

You said you are 5'2 and eating 1500/day then working out, are you eating back exercise calories? Are you losing weight at that calorie level? How much/week? For how long? Have you calculated your TDEE?

No I don't eat back any calories, and no I didn't lose weight at this level but my clothes are much better fitting , i can see a big difference in how i look
    I workout 5 times a week 20-30 minutes
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    Thank u all
    28 years old
    139lbs
    5'2
    1500cals

Maintenance shouldn't be any more confusing then a deficit. If you were able to log calories successfully enough to lose weight then there really isn't any real reason you shouldn't be able to log them well enough to maintain weight. The scale will likely raise a bit at first, that is water weight, and it's unavoidable so be prepared. Once the initial water weight comes on, you shouldn't see significant changes in weight over time. This isn't to say that the normal fluctuations of weight won't occur. I never think of maintenance as a single number, rather a range. If I am maintaining at 200 lbs, I expect my daily weights to be anywhere from 195-205. It helps to use a site like trendweight.com to log daily weights and get an average. It will help you sort out what is actual weight gain and what is fluctuation. If you find you are gaining significant weight over the long haul, then you are eating above maintenance and either need to tighten up logging accuracy or reduce total calorie/increase activity. Again, it's not really any more or less complicated then eating in a deficit and it would take quite a long time for small inaccuracies in logging to result in significant fat gain.

Thank you!
    I love ur advice