How long does it take for those extra calories to catch up?

Options
Let's say I over ate my calorie goal for a few days. How long does it take for those additional calories to be turned into extra poundage?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A day to a week for me...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    A day to a week for me...

Same here.
  • KatsMeow12
    KatsMeow12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    If you're eating 100 over maintenance everyday, you can expect to gain about a lb/month.

Thank you. That is helpful! Good barometer.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You could burn them off with some extra cardio to keep them from causing too much of an issue.
  • KatsMeow12
    KatsMeow12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You could burn them off with some extra cardio to keep them from causing too much of an issue.

I'm aware of that. I wanted to know what the ratio of calories to fat to time was.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    KatsMeow12 wrote: »

I'm aware of that. I wanted to know what the ratio of calories to fat to time was.

There's no set ratio because that's not how it works. Weight/fat gain/loss is a continuously ongoing process, the body doesn't stop at midnight, total up how much you've eaten in the last 24 hours and decide whether to gain or lose weight. Since your weight fluctuates daily according to hydration/sodium levels, how much food/waste is still in your intestinal tract, hormonal fluctuations (esp. for women), etc., it can be difficult to tell if it was actually fat gain or just extra water weight. It could cause you to gain a pound or two, it could cause a short stall, or it could have no effect whatsoever.

The most useful way to track weight loss is as a trend over time, not by daily scale readings (which can and will fluctuate a few pounds either way). Weigh daily, use an app like Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) or Trendweight (web) and keep an eye on the overall trend. For example, I'm set to lose a pound a week, and over the last 13 months my trend shows that I've averaged a loss of 0.96 lbs/wk. But during that 13 months, there were weeks where I lost no weight, weeks where I gained a pound or two and weeks where I lost 3 or 4 pounds. The point is that the overall trend was downward in the long term and that's all I care about. The daily readings are just noise.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ive found my body reflects my diet from about 1 week ago. For example, if I am eating gaining amount for a few days, I notice it about a week later on the scale. If I am eating maintenance and go in a deficit I see the weight loss about a week later as well.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    KatsMeow12 wrote: »

1lb of fat is generally 3500 calories. Which is why if you do a -500 calorie per day deficit, you should lose about 1lb per week. That's why going over slightly, isn't really a big deal as long as it's not a frequent occurrence.

People get rather obsessive over this type of thing. Weight fluctuates quite a lot during the day/week, last Sunday morning I was 188.5, today I'm 182. I certainly didn't lose 6lbs of fat this week, my money is on water.

Basically it comes down to putting faith in your diet. If you ARE eating at a deficit, you ARE losing; regardless of what the scale says. Now with that being said, it's also important that your calorie tracking is accurate as well. Most people that "estimate" are pretty far off. All of my food either goes onto a scale, or into measuring cups. I know for certain that I'm eating X calories per day +/- a few.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wait..is your calorie goal your maintenance goal, or are you in weight loss mode at the moment?
    If you are set to weight loss mode, and you overeat your calorie goal, as long as it doesn't exceed your daily deficit amount, it wouldn't turn into extra pounds anyway. It just might cut the amount you lose for that week.