Do you train in a fasted or fed state?

Options
I can't imagine going to the gym without having a meal. What would you prefer and why?

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    depends on the type of training. Weights, I prefer to eat first. Running I do on an empty stomach.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite of silver. For weights I only have coffee with almond milk.

Cardio or my runs I have breakfast with combo carbs and prot. Plus coffee with almond milk.
  • MrsBenTarr
    MrsBenTarr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I generally like to have a cup of coffee when I'm doing cardio up to about 45 minutes. Any longer than that, I have some fruit so I don't get the dry heaves.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Less than 10 miles I'm comfortable fasted, before longer sessions I'll have cereal and a banana before heading out.

Cycling, more than 30 miles I'll eat.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Generally, fasted. More of a timing thing.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Fasted.

When I am running, I prefer to use my own body's fuel as much as possible, versus food, energy gels or drinks. When I use the latter during the run, I use very little. After the run, I will use what is left over to help replenish electrolytes, protein and carbs etc.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it matters but I usually lift in the morning b4 eating/drinking anything (other than water) then I drink a large protein shake w/creatine after. Then I usually do my cardio (mainly erg rowing) b4 lunch which I hit w/a protein drink and carb meal combo after.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Fasted. I do 16:8 IF and train in the morning before food. But always have coffee or I'd be face down on the floor!
  • AveyHam
    AveyHam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Fasted. I do 16:8 IF and train in the morning before food. But always have coffee or I'd be face down on the floor!

I love IF! I break my fast around 11:30 before i go to the gym. can't do a heavy lifting session on an empty stomach lol
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just started 16:8 IF and ran for the first time fasted yesterday. I was surprised at how well it went. Longest run intervals yet.

My work schedule is really going to dictate whether I work out fasted or fed. During work week (mon - thurs) it will have to be after work, so that will be fed. But on weekend I will be able to compare the difference with fasted.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find if it is under twenty minutes it doesn't matter. I have enough in reserve.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I always train with a full stomach, waiting AT LEAST 1 hour until after I eat to train.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a hammer gel about 30 mins. prior.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like to eat while I'm working out. I know it's weird. But a nice rice krispie treat or combat crunch between squat sets is so nice.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do IF, break fast at midday, generally cardio and accessories at the gym before midday so fasted, heavy lifting at home in the afternoon so fed. Not hard and fast though, heavy lifting at gym with a trainer sometimes, so that will be fasted and if just cant get to they gym in the morning then cardio at the gym fed.

Dont notice any difference either way.
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Fasted, as I exercise in the morning if I was to eat first I'd feel bloated and sluggish. Abit of caffeine in me keeps me going then breakfast after
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I train in a snacked state. I get stomach cramps if I train after a regular meal and I don't like the feeling of an empty stomach while running, so I just have a banana or a few dates or figs, or maybe even a tiny nutella sandwich before I start getting ready for a run.
  • kelsey_frame_666
    kelsey_frame_666 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I always eat before, if I don't I get lightheaded and feel sick especially if I'm weight training. It's all down to personal preference I guess.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Being an early riser, if I wanted to fit in my exercise before work I'd have to eat breakfast at an embarrassingly early time in order to allow the meal to "settle" (20 mins). So I eat after I run.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know if fasted is the right word, I usually train at night BEFORE i eat dinner and i usually haven't eaten since lunch (so 4-5 hours before hand).

If i eat anywhere within 2 hours of lifting weights I will get nausea, and on leg days, vomiting.