Desk exercises?

Options
Does anybody have any suggestions for desk exercises, I work 12 hour night shifts at a desk. Luckily it is adjustable so you can sit or stand, but I'd like to move around a little more.

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Look on You Tube for seated exercises ... they are usually for senior citizens or people with mobility handicaps. Depending on which one you try, you can be combining stretch, core strength, and with all the arm and leg movements you even get in enough cardio that your pulse rises and you break a light sweat. ... Or, I should say, I do.

PS ... back in the days before I retired from my desk job, I used to go for walks during my breaks and did stretch exercises as well as isometrics both sitting and standing. You can do squats, foot and toe taps, circles, leg lifts, seated crunches, kegel exercises, modified planks, walking in place, knee lifts, shoulder rotations, side twists, .... gees, almost anything that you can do standing up can be modified to do sitting in a chair.
  • ballyshea
    ballyshea Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can get mini exercise bikes that would fit under your desk. Basically it's just the pedal part of the bike. Your office chair would act as the saddle part. Make sure you have room for your knees to move.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ballyshea wrote: »
    You can get mini exercise bikes that would fit under your desk. Basically it's just the pedal part of the bike. Your office chair would act as the saddle part. Make sure you have room for your knees to move.

Check carefully, the desk bikes are pretty limited for taller individuals.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Use your desk to stand and make yourself move around more while you stand. Walk in place, squats, stretches, that sort of thing.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    At a recent day of workshops, etc I had someone from the Y come in and show us some exercises because apparently "sitting is the new smoking". She spent an hour with us demonstrating "chair yoga". Perhaps if you googled that you would get some ideas. They were stretches/poses, not exercises per se, but it might help. Personally, I do the yoga stretches and also stand up from my desk and do 3 sets of 20 squats throughout the day. I haven't worked up the courage to do planks in the office though :)