5'0", 30, female - what should my goal weight be?

Options
kimi131
kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
My stats:
5'0" (5'1" on a good day - yes, I know I'm short). Female. 30-years-old. No kids (unfortunately).

Going into all of this, I thought I'd make my goal weight 125. I know when I was younger, I felt heavy at 125 because I was heavier than my cousins and friends (*cough* if only I'd known how good I had it). Even back then though, I had a hard time getting below 125 (granted, I really didn't try too hard). Right now, 125 sounds pretty darn good. But then, so does 120 and 115.

After joining MFP, I took a little online quiz called "What's your happy weight?" and it said my happy weight was 114. I really hadn't thought about anything below 125 before then.

I don't notice a big difference on My Virtual Model (mvm.com) between 125 and 115. Maybe just because they both look so good right now. Maybe I'll notice it more when it gets closer. (I don't like to post my current weight, but if it helps at all with an idea of where I'm at, I'm 180 right now).

Now I keep wavering on what my goal weight should be. I know this might not sound like a big deal, but I think it would be nice to have my ultimate goal figured out. Then I could set a realistic date and really start to plan and work towards it. I like baby-steps and mini-goals too, but they can only get you so far. If you have similar stats, what is your goal weight? Suggestions welcome - similar stats or not.

Good luck everybody!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm 5" too! I'm 105 but I'm also only 15 and flat chested(: hahaaaaaaa
    I would say 120 sounds like a good goal, and if you're unhappy there you can always lose a few more pounds.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and have a goal of 115. I think that it's good to set one goal and then reevaluate when you get close or reach it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how big your bone structure is. If you can wrap your fingers around your wrist and overlap your fingers, you have a small frame. If you barely touch, you're medium, if you can't touch, you're a large frame. I'm 5'4", currently 169, medium frame, aiming for 139.

Try using http://dietitian.com/calcbody.php to figure it out... it takes into account your waist to hip ratio, body fat (if you know it), ever had kids, etc.
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    WOW! I knew I added you for a reason! You are like my twin! (Im a little shorter at 4'10 ) I was about 125 in school too. I also thought I was heavy then, but i look at old pics and I'm like Goodness I was so skinny! I was at 115 right before my oldest daughter was born and people tell me that I was way too skinny then, but I felt great. I agree to get to 125 and go from there. I'm guessing that after 180 (182 for me) 125 will look FANTASTIC!!!!
  • carrun
    carrun Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and was thinking my goal of 135 was good. Go for the gold if you can.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and have a goal of 125-130, but I have a lot of muscle mass so anything below 120 would actually require me to lose some muscle along with most of my fat. Bleh!
  • otgrouch
    otgrouch Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm 5' tall as well and according to MFP a healthy weight is about 128 lbs max.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    im 4'8.5" currently, and my goal is around 85-90 pounds. im also 21.

i think u r still young........so its not like ur body should be that different than it was most of your life. esp with no kids. i would suggest losing until you feel you dont need to anymore. I think the people who write those quizzes are usually teenagers though lol =]
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I was also 115 when I got pregnant with my son. I'm 4'9. I was comfortable at that weight, but would have liked to have been lower. Now, after having him and working out a lot, I am just hovering around 120 and can't seem to get much lower or lose fat. My ultimate goal is 105, but I would be happy at any weight as long as my fat was under control! Everyone is definitely different. Hope the journey goes smoothly for you!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm 31, 5'1" and I'm aiming for 115. I have a small frame and a few years ago I was at 119 and still had a little bit of a muffin top happening. That's right in the middle of a healthy BMI. I'm toning this time so the goal may change one way or another as I get closer. All I really want is a smooth line from waist to thigh (and to fit into my college jeans), whatever weight that comes at is fine. Heart disease runs in my family and I carry my weight around my middle, the worst possible place.
    This whole journey started with three things. I'm unhappy with how I look and how my clothes fit. I have high cholesterol. And my husband saw a pic of me taken a few weeks before we met.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 at 5'0" aiming for 125lbs too. I have never weighed less than 130 in highschool so no idea how I would look. I guess when I get to 125 I'll cross that bridge on deciding whether or not I need to lose more!

Good luck :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Medical Recommendation: 97 - 128 lbs
    Peoples Choice Ideal Weight: 107 lbs
    (http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm)

I'm 5'3", I aim for between 109 - 111, with body fat %: 14%
  • kristenFit
    kristenFit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0 and am 40. I normally weigh between 114-117. When I was training for marathon I was able to get to 111 but that was running 70 miles a week
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". I originally set 120 as a goal, but I'm thinking of revising to 125. I don't plan to be a twig, and I am blessed with curves.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    For a healthy BMI, the range is 104 -138lbs. I am 31, 5'3" and 110lbs, has ~ 20% body fat.

ETA: oops, I misread and thought you were asking about 5'3". The healthy BMI range for 5'0" is 97 - 128lbs.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about the actual #. Trying to get into a healthy range is better. Before I got pregnant I was toned at 130-140. (I'm 5' 3") After I had my daughter I got down to 125 but my waist was bigger and I felt flabby. So I would say how you feel when you look in the mirror may be more important.