How many calories do you leave a day for drinks?

Options

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    40 calories worth of half and half or milk, 30 calories for sugar. That's it. Often I try to only go with 15 calories from almond milk and my flavor drops to cut out sugar calories.

I was going to use a milk alternative but it cost four as much and the container said it had to be used up in 3 days. Yikes!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I drink over 500 calories a day in beverages, and I log them all; two teas, a French Vanilla, chocolate milk, and on the weekends VODKA! All but the vodka are daily, and included in my goal. If I know I'm going to consume more than usual, I make a point of doing some extra cardio the day of, or just go with it.....I've lost 80 lbs doing this, and haven't felt deprived yet..lol!

Dang! That's cool though. You don't feel hungry?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Nope! But of course, I eat all day too..lol!! I'm in maintenance now, my calorie goal is 1560, so there's loads of room for them, and I do workout most days, so basically "earning" them..lol!
  • arditarose
    Options
    40 calories worth of half and half or milk, 30 calories for sugar. That's it. Often I try to only go with 15 calories from almond milk and my flavor drops to cut out sugar calories.

I was going to use a milk alternative but it cost four as much and the container said it had to be used up in 3 days. Yikes!

What milk alternative?

When I first started this process I was using as much half and half as I wanted and 3 packets of sugar in a coffee. I just made the decision to cut it down to two packs, and measure two tablespoons of half and half. The first week sucked, but now I take my coffee this way and it feels like a sweet treat to me. I'll actually have a coffee with sugar if I am craving something sweet because it's an 70-80 calorie hit rather than 300 calories from candy.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Nope! But of course, I eat all day too..lol!! I'm in maintenance now, my calorie goal is 1560, so there's loads of room for them, and I do workout most days, so basically "earning" them..lol!

Hmm...so 1000 calories from food? I wish I could get full on that. I eat around 1500 on the weekdays too and hate it.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    No, I eat more than that, my diary is open if you'd like to see :) (I eat most of my exercise calories back, almost every day)
  • magicpickles
    Options

What milk alternative?

When I first started this process I was using as much half and half as I wanted and 3 packets of sugar in a coffee. I just made the decision to cut it down to two packs, and measure two tablespoons of half and half. The first week sucked, but now I take my coffee this way and it feels like a sweet treat to me. I'll actually have a coffee with sugar if I am craving something sweet because it's an 70-80 calorie hit rather than 300 calories from candy.

Might have been coconut milk? I didn't like the taste. I might have had rice milk as well??? It costs heaps more because I'm in New Zealand.

I love sweetened tea so used stevia but I started getting lots of headaches. I stopped using it and now I can taste the sweetness in the milk lol.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I don't drink my calories.

I couldn't survive without some caffiene. I have Bipolar, so I spend a lot of time being tired. I have decaf in the morning, then have caffienated later on in the day if I need a boost.

I drink quite a lot of caffeine ... coffee, tea, Coke Zero ...

I love soda and would drink it constantly if it didn't have dangerous chemicals in it. I still drink too much though.

What dangerous chemicals are you referring to?

I don't drink my calories.

I couldn't survive without some caffiene. I have Bipolar, so I spend a lot of time being tired. I have decaf in the morning, then have caffienated later on in the day if I need a boost.

I drink quite a lot of caffeine ... coffee, tea, Coke Zero ...

I love soda and would drink it constantly if it didn't have dangerous chemicals in it. I still drink too much though.

What dangerous chemicals are you referring to?

I don't know, whatever causes tooth decay, cancer etc? Is it the artificial sugars? Someone else probably knows.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    There's nothing wrong or dangerous about milk. There is WOO everywhere, be careful what you believe! Drink your milk with your tea if that's how you drink tea ....it's not really such a huge number that it would make a big dent in your weight loss journey, unless you're using half a cup for each coffee. If you find you're not losing, maybe cut down on the number of coffee's a day...cut in half possibly, and see if you notice a difference? Why deprive yourself if it's not necessary?
  • magicpickles
    Options
    There's nothing wrong or dangerous about milk. There is WOO everywhere, be careful what you believe! Drink your milk with your tea if that's how you drink tea ....it's not really such a huge number that it would make a big dent in your weight loss journey, unless you're using half a cup for each coffee. If you find you're not losing, maybe cut down on the number of coffee's a day...cut in half possibly, and see if you notice a difference? Why deprive yourself if it's not necessary?

It used to be a quarter of a cup but now I dilute it with cold water.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    Diet soda doesn't cause cancer.

Everything causes cancer or leads to death if you consume enough.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Well yes but not anymore than anything else. It's not listed as a carcinogen
  • magicpickles
    Options
    Trust me, I would drink 3L of Diet Coke a day if I believed it were safe.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I favor very low calorie drinks like tea and diet drinks, but if I have a drink that has calories on occasion, I usually just fit it in like any other food. No drinks-specific budgeting.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Love hot cocoa. (Occasionally with a shot of Baileys. ) I budget the hot cocoa calories plus it helps make it myself (vs prepackaged) and the milk used has extra protein. This fills the protein macro, too. Am not a coffee drinker, but perhaps you could use real cream in your coffee? Real cream can be more satisfying, causing you to put less in your coffee while keeping a yummy taste? Just an idea to throw out there.