help , over did it while training for a 1/2 marathon

Options
Ok I am no runner I know, but I have a sick son and there is a charity 1/2 marathon to raise $$ for reasearch for my son's disorder.. So.... I have been training for this for 4 months now. having never done done such a thing, I know I will be walking a good portion of it.. but I think I pushed it a bit too much yesterday. I went 9.5 miles ran about 1/4 of it.. and walked fast the rest... did it in about 2hrs 20 mins. my legs are killing me!! any advice on how to deal not only to feel better but to be back up and working out..? I also try to do about an hour elliptical per day and run 1 long run and 1 short run per week. I don't want to be down for too long. lol

Replies

• taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Ice bath after a long run helps recovery, sit in a tub and slowly fill it with cold water to cover your legs. Take some Ibuprofen and rest. Do you do 10 and 1's? Run for 10mins walk for 1 min? Thats how I run all my long runs.
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh Beth!!

Hope you get some good advice here! I'd say your rest will be crucial! take another day off and try again Sunday! also!!!~ stretch after you run really well! Good Luck! We will get through this!

Cari
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ice bath after a long run helps recovery, sit in a tub and slowly fill it with cold water to cover your legs. Take some Ibuprofen and rest. Do you do 10 and 1's? Run for 10mins walk for 1 min? Thats how I run all my long runs.

Agree that icing or cool baths and round the clock ibuprofen are the ticket. And, as much as you don't want to do this, get up and walk around a little bit every hour or two, and do some VERY light stretching. That will help get some of those waste products out of the muscles.

Don't feel like a baby for taking the ibuprofen round the clock, either. When you have pain, that means there's inflammation. Inflammation causes damage. So take your ibuprofen!
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you following a training plan? When is your race? I am sure you might be down for 48 to 60 hours and then you should be much better. But you want to make sure you learn why you overdid it and not do it again. Set yourself up to be prepared and at peak for your "race" day. There are lots of plans out there, but if you aren't following one knowing when your race is will help with advice.
  • cariandy
    Options
    great advice!
  • cariandy
    Options
    her race is Aug 7th! the Rock and Roll half in Providence
  • PamMuckenthaler
    Options
    I have coached a number of half Marathon teams and the ice bath is indeed the best advice for recovery. Also - although you can indeed train by yourself, there are a number of places on line you can go for training plans. It is important that you not run every day - and increase your mileage at a regular rate. Rest weeks are also important (increase your miles two weeks in a row then on the third week, go back a bit). Its important to follow a plan and you can do it. Google 1/2 marathon training plans and find one that works for your lifestyle. And - good luck!!!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Look into Bromelain. It's a natural extract (from pineapple but you don't get enough from eating it). It helps you muscles deal with stress and recover more quickly. You want to use it before and after big workouts.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I would provide materials for repair. Protein and healthy food. And rest. Overtraining should be your worst enemy.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    her race is Aug 7th! the Rock and Roll half in Providence

I didn't know they had one in Providence! Darn it, if I'd known about that I would have trained too. But now you've got me thinking about next year!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I ran a half marathon last November... I would say make sure you are only doing one 'long rung' a week. The other runs in the week should be maintenance runs, like 3-5 miles. Good luck!!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Personally, whenever I over-train I find that I need one complete rest day then do some light exercise (10 minute run) followed by an extended warm down and stretch. The next day I'm as good as new.

With respect to your training, there are lots of great training programs available on the internet. I'm about to start a marathon training program I found here. (Cant see a half on this site but they hit 1/2 marathon distances at week 14, sounds like you are at about week 8 level. so you are more-or-less on track.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/marathon-training-schedule.html

[edit] PS: Good luck with your run - put up a link or message me and I'll sponsor you.
  • Stylzz
    Stylzz Posts: 6
    Options
    wow... so uch good advice and so QUICK!!!! Thanks everyone. I have been doing the Advil... need to do the ice bath next time for sure... and I am up and about... no workouts but my lifestyle doesn't allow me to sit for any length of time. lol. hoping this was just a minor shock to the system... gotta stay on these mssg boards you guys are super ! THANK YOU!!!!!:happy:
  • cariandy
    Options
    you could post a message that you want some running support friends..bet that would help too! :happy:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Take a full day to rest the day before and the day after your long run. And eat some kind of protein after your runs to help your muscles start the repair process.
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options

This is Excellent Advice. I'm running my first Half Marathon in September, however I've been running 5k's and 10k's for years! Rest is soooooo important. Before you get out again and run take a day or 2 off, on the day off so some stretching and/or Yoga, it's amazing how it boosts the body in action again and helps heel.

The 10 and 1 rule is soooo perfect...I HIGHLY recommend this... :) Good Luck, and since we're both training don't hesitate to ask me via Message for more advice or motivation! Keep it up! PS, whats the race in honor of?
  • Stylzz
    Options
    TY that is what I am trying and I only run twice per week the rest is elliptical or strength training. Thnx so much
  • Stylzz
    Options
    this blog and posting is new to me on MFP...lol
  • Stylzz
    Options
    I am def gonna try the 10 and 1 thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! THNX!!!!
  • Stylzz
    Options
    alot of differnt groups are running for their cause. I am running for DSF .. Dravet syndrome foundation. My youngest son has this disorder... trying to do eveything I can to help. you can get more info about it at www.amiracleforalex.org I will take u up on that and send a request. :smile: