Strength training for runners

Options
I've been on the hunt for a good strength training routine that particularly helps develop muscles used in running (glutes, core, quads, hamstrings, etc.). I've found a couple of decent programs but nothing I feel like sticking too for more than a month or two.

Any runners out there have a strength training routine they swear by?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    leg press
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Probably overkill for what you are after but I found Hammer / Chisel to be most helpful for me. Focuses a great deal on lower body and core.

p.s. No Shakeology needed....
  • JBliss1108
    JBliss1108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I was lifting and running, my lower body routine was the leg press machine, deadlift using the hex bar, and the calf raise machine. That was plenty with running three days a week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to stick to it? What does it consists of?
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Lunges, calf raises
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Have you tried incorporating hill repeats into your training? Find a hill that has about an 8% grade (or the like) and slowly build up to doing continuous repeats for 30+ minutes at a time (running up and walking back down).
  • Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts will make you faster and less injury prone.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The best way to develop the muscles used in running is to run more.

Otherwise, look at the runner's world link above.
    or: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2014/12/should-you-lift-weights.html
    http://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204072094-Joe-Friel-s-Weight-Workouts
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Something I should have mentioned is that I am already very injury prone - it seems like I get a new injury every year. I think I've had everything but shin splints. With my luck, that's probably next!

I've sworn off deadlifts because I almost always get lower back pain the day after, even when I was working with a trainer. I do squats every other day, but not weighted for the same reason. I've been told to avoid hill training (boo) because of my knee/IT band issues, so that's gone.

@GiddyupTim and @scorpio516 : Thanks for the links - I often read Runners World articles but haven't come across that one yet. Maybe I will try that out! And if that doesn't work, I'll take a look at the other one.

@lorrpb Honestly, I get bored. That, and I just haven't found a program that I've seen results with, whether that means feeling stronger physically or helps me avoid injuries. Maybe I'm just not meant to run!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been enjoying Strong Curves with running--the program is geared toward aesthetics and teaching you to engage glutes, but the exercises are good basic compound movements, engaging glutes has helped my running, and the supersetting has helped with my endurance. It also provides a lot of options for switching out exercises if injury prevents doing certain movements.

I was just about to suggest Strong Curves.

Also, If you're lower back get sore during your dead lift, then your form is off. Take some weight off your dead lift and focus only on form.

Are you stretching out your IT band after every run? How long have you had IT band issues?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I do a simplified routine, worked this out with the fiance, who does more weightlifting:

Warm up with some light shoulder work (light weights used for inner shoulder muscles, "stir the pot", circles and other movements to use all the little muscles in there) and calf raises. Then these lifts, as heavy as I can do and get 5 sets of 5 or close to it:

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Hip Press
    Overhead press
    Bench press

just those 5, that gets most of my body and I don't have to think about it or manage it much. Mostly I use yoga for strength training cross training and would like to suggest that to you if you are injury prone. It would build you up slower, and help your breathing, flexibility and strength.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I do a simplified routine, worked this out with the fiance, who does more weightlifting:

Warm up with some light shoulder work (light weights used for inner shoulder muscles, "stir the pot", circles and other movements to use all the little muscles in there) and calf raises. Then these lifts, as heavy as I can do and get 5 sets of 5 or close to it:

Deadlifts
    Squats
    Hip Press
    Overhead press
    Bench press

just those 5, that gets most of my body and I don't have to think about it or manage it much. Mostly I use yoga for strength training cross training and would like to suggest that to you if you are injury prone. It would build you up slower, and help your breathing, flexibility and strength.

I would consider adding an upper-body pull exercise to work your back, or you risk creating a bit of a muscle imbalance that can cause back pain. It doesn't need to be complicated, a row exercise would do the job.

Thank you, that is good information.

We do a lot of vinyasa in yoga, negative pushups. This seems like it would work the same thing a row does (I am only at about 40% of bodyweight on the upper body work) , but row would be easy to add and/or since we do have a pull up bar, too, I can work toward 25 pull-ups since I am nowhere near that yet, can do about two of those.