Slowly starting to overeat, please help

Options
I started 2 months ago and have lost almost 2 stones.

However after several bout's of illness including depression I am slowly eating over my calories nearly every day for the last 10 days or so.

Not by lots but by up to 100 calories.

I am worried that this overeating will accelerate and I will start to gain.

By the way i am overeating on healthy food not junk.

I have lots to lose and need to stick to this for my long term health.

How do I motivate myself?

I live alone, but do work 3 days and spend one day volunteering.

The other 3 days I am usually alone with nobody to speak to.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks for reading this

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You could eat the amount of calories you are now and just lose a bit slower. You have been losing weight very fast. Maybe you are eating at the low end and you need to up your calories. What is your height, current weight, and your calorie goal?

What you "overeat" doesn't mean anything for your weight. But what is "healthy food"? Why do you think you are eating more than you have planned?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Only you can motivate yourself.

Having said that here are my tips...

1. Go for a walk every morning if you can. Doesn't matter how far or how long you go just start. Eventually you will up the time and/or distance. This is good for your mind and depression.
    2. Google inspirational quotes and read success stories on these boards and other boards.
    3. Get 7-8 hrs of sleep every night...studies show when you don't get enough sleep you are hungrier because of your stress hormone.
    4. Fiber, Full Fat, Protein and water keep me full

Depending on what your height,weight, how much you need to lose and what your calorie count is 100 over on healthy food may not be bad, it will just slow your weight loss which isn't all that bad.

Most important tip is forgive yourself and move on, tomorrow is always a new day to meet your calorie goal.

Also if your depression is more than you think you can handle perhaps see a dr?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    28lbs in 2 months is too high a rate of loss ...sounds good idea to reduce your defecit by 500 calories so you have room
  • mandy220750
    mandy220750 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 5 start weight 316lbs currently 290lbs aim to get to 170lbs

Hope to lose 3 stone by Christmas

Taking it in small steps, next goal will be from Christmas to Easter

So a long journey.

I overeat at the end of the day.

Usually, low fat yogurt, fruit, yogurt or ice lolly I have a fridge full of fruit, veg, lean meat, fish, yogurts etc

Do not have any cake, biscuits, sweets, crisps etc in the house

I am scared I will give in and start buying and eating too much and break my diet.

Doctor told me if I did not lose weight I would have 10 years less to live.

Thanks for reading this

• mandy220750
    Options
    I can only do minimal exercise

Have arthritis and recently a blood infection which has affected my good leg

My heavy weight is preventing me from walking

However I am trying to walk more each day

I am so unfit with years of neglecting myself

I want to change and be able to have a life
  • Plutodreams
    Plutodreams Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Make a vision board!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I walk to pass time when I'm alone but I see you're limited with that. Sometimes I just invent things to do around the house to keep busy. Organizing and things like that.... I'll take a drive and walk around a store a bit to occupy myself. I've done puzzles or games online. Chatting here keeps my mind busy too.

Beyond that, if you feel the need to munch then I would stock up on low calorie snacks that won't put you over. Veggies and low cal dressing. Fruit. Sugar free jello with low cal cool whip. Sugar free pudding. Popcorn. Some brands of ice cream are fairly low calorie. Or even ice/pudding pops. I know you weren't looking for snack options but we all have those times we just want to eat...
  • zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    28 pounds in 2 months??
  • mandy220750
    Options
    Yes Zahra, I have lost 26 pounds in 2 months

why the question marks?

It is true

I lost 10 the first week, must have been mainly water

Then 2 or 3 most weeks but a couple I lost 1 or none

I don't think that is too fast but steady as I am very heavy

Thank you everyone else for your positive words. Some good ideas to help me.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The amount is large in such a short time, but not too much, around 1% of total body weight per week. Unless you are hungry, you are eating enough calories. But the diet sounds poor. You are missing out on fats, which is important for the brain and hormones, and taste and variety, which makes it no wonder if you are depressed. You have 2000 calories at your disposal. Use them wisely. Eat something from each food group every day. Eat food you like. Let eating well be a central part of taking care of yourself.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs even in my first 4 weeks ...like you, I am guessing the first several was water...then it slowed up and I am losing about 2 a week. I just hit my 1 month mark yesterday. I have a long way to go too, Mandy and I would be glad to talk with you and be a "buddy". I am on the computer throughout the day most of the time while my husband is at work so you can message me as much as you want. I still eat the foods I used to except I pretty much gave up all the freezer meals. I am not a big fruit and veggie person but am still managing with lean meats and fish. I am still learning too. Feel free to send me a friend request. I will support you and be there for you as much as I can.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Any amount of exercise will help you and it's good for your arthritis too. Start with short walks, even to the mailbox, and go a bit further when you can. Or swimming is great too. Are you eating too much because you are hungry or because you are lonely? If it's hunger, then try to find some more foods that will keep you full longer. Veggies are great, and low cal, but for me, I'm hungry again in like ten minutes. If I don't eat enough fat (oil, etc) I will be hungry before I plan on eating again so I can't cut it too low as no one in my house enjoys me being hungry lol. Also, drink lots of water. Sometimes thirst feels like hunger. If it's from being lonely, you can see about volunteering somewhere, nursing homes always could use people to go sit and talk with the residents who are usually very lonely themselves and would love someone to talk to. You could also see about joining, and becoming active on, some Facebook groups for things that interest you. If you love pets, you could see about walking dogs at your local animal shelter (if/when you can handle the walking). If it's neither and it's boredom, than see about finding some hobbies to do to occupy your time. Any of the above will work but you could also see about crafting, reading, anything you like. Something that gets you moving is obviously better but even something that doesn't get you moving but keeps you from mindlessly eating is good.
  • mandy220750
    Options
    I already volunteer one day per week and work for another 3

I do eat a balanced diet including fats etc

I have just cut out the bad fats and sugar

I guess I am just lonely in the evening's.

Do not even think about food when I am at work etc during the day.

I have some hobbies, and also have to do all my own housework and garden

But it's not enough

I have never been a social person and have been very shy all my life, so find it very hard to join groups etc.

But I have for a whole year been a volunteer which is a big achievement for me.

I will try and motivate myself in the evenings, I guess keeping occupied will stop me thinking about food

Thanks everyone
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can say is that you're in the right place here to find support so use us and our experience as you are doing now. You will be fine. We're here for you !!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the timing & composition of your eating, and consider experimenting with changing this up to reduce your impulse to overeat. (I also agree with those who say that it might be reasonable for you to simply eat a bit more, and lose more slowly, if that helps you stay the course.)

For me, my evening snacking was less tempting if I got a good-sized breakfast with plenty of protein and fiber. But everyone's different when it comes to feeling full, which is why I suggest experimenting with the timing & composition.

By timing, I mean how many times a day you eat, and how much you eat each time. Some people do better with 5-6 small meals daily, some do better with 3 meals (or even 2, or just 1). Some need snacks between meals, other prefer bigger meals with no snacks. Some do best with the calories spread evenly across their meals, while others prefer a bigger breakfast & smaller meals later . . . or the reverse, saving a large number of calories for dinner. It's also possible to eat a bit less during the day, to save up calories to cover your evening snacks.

By composition, I mean varying what sorts of things you eat (especially fats, protein & fiber) while still keeping everything in a healthy range. Some people find protein filling so they get extra of that, where others find fat more satiating, or high-volume/low-calorie foods like veggies. Some people need some healthy carbs to feel full (like potato or oatmeal), while for others eating carbs just makes them crave more carbs!

So, think about a variation you might try, try it for a couple of days, and see how it goes. If it's better, continue. If not, try something else.

During this process, reviewing your diary at the end of the day can be a big help. Notice any differences about days where you have more evening cravings, vs. days when you maybe have less cravings. What may be causing that difference: Something about the way you ate? Activity? Stress? Sleep? Learn & adjust.

If part of the problem is eating out of habit or boredom, consider some new hobby - especially good are ones that require clean hands, like needlework, drawing, or learning to play a musical instrument. Or, adopt some new satisfying thing to do, like a small walk, a warm bubble bath, or a bit of stretching.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Relax.

As others have said, your rate of loss has been very fast up to this point, you do not need to sustain that rate. Eating maybe a couple of hundred calories over goal is not overeating, you are still in a deficit and will still lose weight.

Your body is probably telling you it needs more food. If I were you I would revise my goal to allow a couple of hundred calories more each day, or maybe even more, depending what your settings are at the moment.

You do not need to be losing more than half a pound to one pound per week. Better to lose slowly than to white-knuckle it and try to fight your hunger head on, which may lead to a crash-and-burn.
  • mandy220750
    Options
    Weigh in day, lost 2lb.

My overeating by an average of 60 to 80 calories per day has had no adverse effect

I am having the recommended 1440 calories per day.

Perhaps if I increase this a little it will do me no harm.

2 stone lost since 4 July 2016 my independence day.

Have pulled out my knitting and card making crafts and hope doing these in the evening will stop me eating for eating sake.

Feel a little happier today.

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about 100 cals per day. That is within the margin of estimating error anyway, if you are accurately weighing and logging your food. That would theoretically slow your loss by one-fifth (700/3500) pound per week, or basically nothing. You have a lot to lose, as did I, but it can be done. Just figure out your plan and stay the course. As long as you keep losing, doctor will be happy. You don't have to lose any specific amount by Christmas. And accept the fact now that your rate of loss will slow down over time. It took me 6 months to lose the first 50, 8 more months to lose the next 50, and the last 50 has taken more than 1 year with 4 pounds left to go. Your stats will be different, but it will slow down and that's perfectly normal and OK.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you stay on track for the most part each week that there's no reason why you can't have a day or two each week (not consecutive days though) where you eat more than usual. If you allow yourself to do that then you will have less of a chance of falling completely off the wagon. I've done that in the past and didn't have a gain. You just don't want to get back to eating too many calories on an every day basis and not stop, that's the trick. Good luck!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day, lost 2lb.

My overeating by an average of 60 to 80 calories per day has had no adverse effect

I am having the recommended 1440 calories per day.

Perhaps if I increase this a little it will do me no harm.

2 stone lost since 4 July 2016 my independence day.

Have pulled out my knitting and card making crafts and hope doing these in the evening will stop me eating for eating sake.

Feel a little happier today.

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone

Not sure how you feel about fruits but having some apples, bananas, grapes on hand can help to munch on those. Applesauce or jello or pudding cups are a great way to get that "sugar fix" that your body may be needing as well, with very few calories.