Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are low-carb diets unhealthy? - Dr. T. Colin Campbell

Options
AnvilHead
AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
edited September 2016 in Debate Club
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2569612/Are-low-carb-diets-BAD-Nutrition-expert-claims-giving-grains-lead-heart-disease-cancer.html

According to this article, low-carb diets can lead to heart disease and cancer. It references a book The Low Carb Fraud, written by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, a doctor with over 40 years of experience in nutrition science. In his book, he states that not only are low-carb diets lacking in nutritional value, they're actually worse than the Standard American Diet. His standpoint is interesting as it relates to other studies on the topic.

According to Wikipedia, Dr. Campbell is a published author with several books to his name, a degreed doctor (M.S., Ph.D) and is the Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Chemistry at Cornell University.

Respectful discussion as it relates to contentious topics only please - in accordance with the forum guidelines posted above.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Isn't he affiliated with The China Study?

He authored The China Study and was also featured in the film Forks Over Knives.
  • AnvilHead
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't take anything from the Daily Mail seriously. It makes good toilet paper.

But the article isn't an opinion piece. It discusses and quotes a published, esteemed doctor/researcher who has offered what he deems evidence-based information. Certainly there's adequate room to debate his findings/contentions. I'm looking more for discussion of the subject matter itself rather than the validity (or lack thereof) of the source - a focus on the message rather than the messenger, if you will. There are opinions on all ends of the spectrum in this subject, many with their own sources to back them up. I thought it would engender an opportunity for all sides to be heard.

[ETA:] I take no sides in the debate - merely offering it as a topic of conversation. Please draw no inferences of my personal opinion on the source, the author or the subject matter.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember that you've posted several times in the pants dismissing Campbell's work. Perhaps I've remembered wrong.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Who knows.. But i have been told over and over on here to take anything the daily mail publishes with a pinch of salt, has this advice now changed?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember that you've posted several times in the pants dismissing Campbell's work. Perhaps I've remembered wrong.

Even if that's so, how would that prevent this from being a valid topic for debate? <confused>