Why did I gained several pounds in just one day???

Getting_Fit_4_Life
Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
Help!!
Why did I weight 198.6 yesterday for my regular Thurday weigh in and this moring decided to weigh in again just to see and the darm scale now tells me that I weigh 201.8 and then 200.8. This was first thing in the AM and I haven't eaten anything yet and I had already emptied my bladder. I have been excellent with my eating and staying within my range of 1200 cal daily. I have increased my workout for the last week or so. I have been walking on my Treadmill daily for about 70-90 minutes each time burning about 600-700 calories each time. Could it be too much exercise? I mean I have only been working out everyday like this for about a week or so now. I doubt that am building any real muscles in just one week that would explain this increase, right?

Have you guys dealt with this?

Thanks for your input :)

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Are you tracking sodium?

I can "gain" 5 pounds or so from a day of eating too much sodium. It's just water retention and goes away in time.

Also, sometimes when we work out really hard, our fatigued muscles swell and hold on to excess fluid, too. Add a hard workout, too much sodium, and drinking not quite enough water together, and you have a temporary gain.
  • I agree with the above...monitor your sodium intake and maybe that's what it is.

Best.
  • Sodium is one that will make it look like you gained weight also for me I tend to bloat and hold water right around my time of the month and I "gain" like 5lbs. It could also be your scale, maybe the battery is going or where you have it may not be on level ground.
  • Chantielicious
    Chantielicious Posts: 3 Member
    You said you went peepee, but did you poop? lol sounds funny, but I usually drop a pound or more after I poop. It's important to stay regular when you are dieting and make sure you "poopie" at least once a day. When I get backed up, I'm bloated, gain weight and then get headaches. Try again tomorrow morning. Drink plenty of water.
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    watch your sodium intake. I went way over my sodium today. Usually, I'm good about that.
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    I agree - just water! It's good to stick to a once a week or at least some kind of scheduled weigh in so we don't get discouraged by that. No worries! You still busted through the 200's! Woot!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    are you eating ENOUGH calories? You need to be NETTING 1200 calories minimum a day (and for me that's not enough my body won't lose weight at only 1200 calories a day).

Eat back your exercise calories.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    yup. Water. it will go away.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    I've jumped 5 lbs. in a day or two before. Mostly water. Just watch the sodium a couple of days and you're good to go.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    weight fluctuates through out the day and from day to day. pounds gained are not necessaraly fat pounds. most likely water. like other people have said, watch the sodium and drink water. you'll be fine!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    One pound of pure fat is made up of 3500 calories so unless you consumed 10,500 calories in 24 hours, probably not a net gain of 3 lbs of fat. Don't worry about it.

If it's helpful, try weighing yourself once a week instead as your weight will fluctuate 1-6 lbs in any 24 hour period depending on your sodium and water intake, bowel movements, urination, and the actual weight of your food in your body and how much of it is digested, etc...

The numbers can mess with your head. Take measurements, those are great numbers to track and won't lie.

And yes, at best with very, very hard work and a strict, proper diet a woman can gain about 1 lb of muscle per month and a man about 3 lbs a month. But honestly most people don't do this. Focus on a balanced diet to try to minimize muscle loss as the scale goes down. Your body will lose both fat and muscle as you lose weight. Strength training helps decrease the amount of muscle lost.

You need to eat alot of calories to actually BUILD muscle.

Hope all this makes sense. People want to say they build muscle all the time like in a week or a few days, but it's usually not the case - hope I didn't burst anyone's bubble.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Like everyone says.....SODIUM! And water retention can be brutal when the weather is hot. Keep on drinking the water!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    That's why I only weigh myself once a week. If you have a bad day in terms of sodium (or anything, really), it can reflect on the scale the next day. But if you make up for it later in the week, and get back on track, that'll counter-balance and the scale will say so. I avoid the scale like the plague until Saturday morning.
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    I agree.....lets look at your diary and check your sodium
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    OMG! You guys are soooo wonderful for all of your input. I think it's probably sodium now that I went over my sodium for the last several days. I notice that one serving of shrimp wonton soup I had one day was over 1,000 MG of sodium (even though the soup was only 100 calories.) Then yesterday I had a serving of homemade meat loaf with about 800+ MG sodium. Wow!, this sodium thing is no joke. My body is telling me that am over doing the sodium thing.

BTW, am going to change my diary setting to allow others to look at it. Now I just have to figure how to do that, lol :)

Once again, thanks ya'll :)
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    If you have sore muscles that could be contributing to it as well. When I'm really sore I tend to gain 2-3 pounds from my muscles swelling and retaining water as they heal.
This discussion has been closed.