How often to workout arms??

Options
Sorry this may seem like a dumb question. I do a split workout. Mon-Friday Arms/legs/chest/back/shoulders with Saturday and Sunday off. I've been reading that people generally workout arms 2-3 times a week, what are your experiences with that? And if I should do arms twice what day should I do them? Thanks!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What about legs?!?!

• Tkb1331
    Tkb1331 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mon: arms
    tues: legs
    wed: chest
    thurs: back
    Fri: shoulders
    Sat and Sunday off
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh sorry, I don't know why I didn't see that.

I don't like splits like that. Either full body 3x per week or and upper lower 4 day split so I hit everything twice.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    2xs - Monday and Saturday.
  • Tkb1331
    Options
    That can work! Thanks! So let's say mon: upper, Tuesday lower, wed off and thurs upper Friday lower. How long are you at the gym though?
  • Tkb1331
    Options
    Saturday's would be going to the gym 6 times a week! I don't think I can do that but thanks!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I do an upper/lower, it takes me about 75-90 minutes, start to finish. That includes 10 minutes on treadmill to warm up and a few minutes of stretching.

Now that I think about it, it takes me the same time for full body.
  • arditarose
    Options
    tbaker1331 wrote: »
    That can work! Thanks! So let's say mon: upper, Tuesday lower, wed off and thurs upper Friday lower. How long are you at the gym though?

That's the way the program PHUL works. Have you heard of it? Monday Upper power, Tuesday Lower Power, Wed Rest, then an upper and lower hypertrophy day.

I don't know. I do a DUP style training now but my workouts can run between 1-2 hours. Depends on how much volume. And even if the volume is low but the intensity is high, I might be taking long rests.

Body builders do more body part splits like that. I'm not too familiar with it. I tend to like what Menno Henselmens has to say on that stuff. http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/category/training/
  • Tkb1331
    Options
    You're a god send and no I haven't heard of that, I think I might have to switch it up. Still would have to go in Wednesday to get my cardio in. Thanks a lot
  • arditarose
    Options
    You're a god send and no I haven't heard of that, I think I might have to switch it up. Still would have to go in Wednesday to get my cardio in. Thanks a lot

Welcome

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I don't know why I didn't see that.

I don't like splits like that. Either full body 3x per week or and upper lower 4 day split so I hit everything twice.

Yup that look for phul
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Whoops...reads down thread ..yeah that
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mon: arms
    tues: legs
    wed: chest
    thurs: back
    Fri: shoulders
    Sat and Sunday off

With a bro split like that, you're actually working arms 4 days a week. Monday you work arms. Wednesday you work chest, which also works triceps (and shoulders). Thursday you work back, which also works biceps (and shoulders). Then Friday you work shoulders, which also works maybe both biceps and triceps, depending on what movements you're doing. One way or the other, the arms are involved in pretty much every upper body part you work unless you're doing very strict isolation movements.

I agree with the advice upthread for either a 3 day full body workout or an upper/lower split. Personally, I do an upper/lower split 3 days a week, which means everything gets worked twice every 5 days (Upper/Lower/Upper one week, Lower/Upper/Lower the next).
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I need to grow my shoulders and lats so I do something like this:

mon - chest and some biceps (and if I have time I throw in one shoulder-specific exercise)
    Tue - back with big focus on lats and some triceps
    Wed - quads and butt
    Thu - shoulders and lats stuff (they all end up working arms...)
    Fri - Hammies and butt

I still get an arm pump doing leg day anyway...

• Tkb1331
    Options
    Thanks for the insight guys really helpful. The upper/lower sounds like it can work for me, just drew up a new plan today, will try it next week. Thanks everyone!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    PHAT is like PHUL but is split into 5 days instead of 4.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thanks for the insight guys really helpful. The upper/lower sounds like it can work for me, just drew up a new plan today, will try it next week. Thanks everyone!

Hope you like it. It's fun if you like to do a little power/heavy lifting as well. I think the power and hypertrophy really compliment each other. I had a lot of luck in maintenance and a surplus with that kind of program.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I personally do a push/pull/legs split. Incorporating abs at least 2x a week. I generally try to run through my cycle twice before a rest day, but only if my body feels up to it. Minimum 2x a week if you're looking for hypertrophic results.