Carb Substitutes

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I always think that boiling a radish would ruin what's delightful about radishes (the bite plus the crunch). Is there some reason why you'd use radishes instead of turnips?

Because turnips don't taste like potatoes, they are the same consistency, just nowhere near a comparable taste.
    And why couldn't you have both LOL Raw, when you want that crispness and cooked when you want the taste of a potato without all the carbs.

Just a note: I grew up on turnips, grew them, canned them, ate them raw etc... but they are a very different taste and sometimes an acquired taste for most people. :smile:

A turnip seems much more like a potato to me than a radish, unless boiling them spoils the flavor (which it might -- never had a cooked radish, but a turnip is much like a blander radish uncooked). Never thought of them as more of an acquired taste.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat shirataki noodles. No carbs. Just be sure to rinse AND dry fry them. Moisture is not their friend.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I have the perfect substitute for mashed potatoes...... Mashed Califlower.

Take a couple of Califlower and boil them. I use a slow cooker for about 6 hours. Then drain the water and using a hand blender, I blend it until it is creamy. For added flavor , I sometimes add some garlic, sage, chives for color. Then I save it is plastic containers and freeze them. I usually eat one per meal.
    Even better with a touch of feta.

Not in soup!

I know I'm weird or something in that I prefer cauliflower (which I eat all the time -- I had some WITH potatoes and other ingredients tonight, even) unmashed. But then I even prefer potatoes unmashed (and roasted), although they do mash well. (I like sweet potatoes and parsnips and, I suppose, turnips mashed too, often mashed with potaties. But I prefer my cauliflower to have the look and texture of cooked cauliflower.)

I think this is a reaction to not getting why people seem to only like a perfectly good and delicious vegetable for the way it can (badly) mimic foods like potatoes and rice they decide they should not eat. I know, it's fine to substitute, I do it all the time, and if people actually enjoy cauliflower other ways, why not mash it -- people eat potatoes multiple ways. And speaking of substituting, I'm currently eating a sauce I intended for pasta on some potatoes (yeah, I know, all those carbs!) because dried pasta isn't going to need me to find a place to store it where it won't sprout, and I've got a ton of potatoes at the moment. (Less of a problem than tomatoes, which are becoming the backbone of my diet and are why I made the pasta sauce and the gazpacho -- soup without starchy carbs! -- I had with it, weirdly.)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You can use radishes in place of potatoes.... It's actually really good! If you boil a radish until the "redness" turns opaque like a new potato, most people can't even tell the difference. Below is a picture of my Crockpot Chicken Green Chili Stew. Tastes amazing and I've served it to many people. I've asked each one about how they liked the "potatoes" and they said loved them... even though it was really radishes, they never knew the difference. LOL

75ar2n2pgspi.jpg

That looks SO GOOD!! i would love this with turnips or radishes. I put carrots and hominy in my green chile stew. A heighborhood bistro makes "French fries" with carrots and parsnips. They're delicious but not low cal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My mom made turnips for Thanksgiving one year instead of mashed potatoes. I was so sad.
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    OMG, I love turnip purée. I might have made them one thanksgiving..... But that could have been a different holiday.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Chicken?

Chicken tortilla soup with a few black beans, a little corn, diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and a couple Ole Extreme Wellnes low carb high fiber tortillas. Not exactly corn tortillas, but a decent sub. Any tortilla soup recipe subbing the tortillas works.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I always think that boiling a radish would ruin what's delightful about radishes (the bite plus the crunch). Is there some reason why you'd use radishes instead of turnips?

Because turnips don't taste like potatoes, they are the same consistency, just nowhere near a comparable taste.
    And why couldn't you have both LOL Raw, when you want that crispness and cooked when you want the taste of a potato without all the carbs.

Just a note: I grew up on turnips, grew them, canned them, ate them raw etc... but they are a very different taste and sometimes an acquired taste for most people. :smile:

A turnip seems much more like a potato to me than a radish, unless boiling them spoils the flavor (which it might -- never had a cooked radish, but a turnip is much like a blander radish uncooked). Never thought of them as more of an acquired taste.

To each his own ....
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I made baked meatballs tonight, hubby had pasta, I had spaghetti squash mixed with 1/2c noodles. I like the squash he doesn't :smile:
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    I love meatballs & marinara on spaghetti squash. Difficult to find year round, though. I also like meatballs & marinara on a bed of spinach. Several dishes I serve on rice to the fam (moo goo gai, stir fry, legumes) I eat on spinach instead.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Maggie Mahoney's Turnips
    (This is for a large TG dinner party; you can divide this recipe to suit your needs.)
    15 lbs. yellow turnips (rutabagas), peeled and cut into small pieces
    3 large yellow onions, diced
    ½ lb. butter (divided: 3 Tbsp. & 5 Tbsp.)
    1½ lbs. bacon, chopped
    ½ C. table cream
    ¾ C. maple syrup
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    4 strips bacon per baking dish
    Place turnips into large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Add sugar. Cook until tender. While turnips are cooking, sauté onions in 3 tablespoons butter until translucent. Cook bacon in a saucepan until crisp, drain. Using a ricer, rice all the turnips into another pot. Add onions, bacon, the rest of the butter, cream, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper and stir just like mashed potatoes. Put in baking dish and then put 4 strips of bacon across top of dish. Bake for 1 hour at 300ºF. When bacon on top is done, it is ready to serve. Can be frozen in dish for up to 3 months.

Only way I can eat 'em...!!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • Mel_Acevedo
    Mel_Acevedo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and it's hard to have a low/slow carb diet but, my key is --real food first-- so I have guilt-free carbs like veggies most of the time (no fruits)
    I also try to eat beans every day, they full me longer than other carbs and satisfies my cravings for processed foods.

BUT, When I'm just dying for processed carbs this cheat list saves me:

*Tortillas/Wraps: Trader Joe's low carbs - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/59936582

*Pasta: Trader Joe's black beans pasta - http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-black-bean-rotini

*Smash Potato/Rice: Trader Joe's Riced Cauliflower -http://www.momtastic.com/food/619463-trader-joes-riced-cauliflower-recipes/

*Baking goods: replace the flour for 0 carbs whey protein and baking powder - https://www.amazon.com/Fitness-Hydrolyzed-Protein-Isolate-Vanilla/dp/B01BODRE50/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1473130760&sr=8-1&keywords=sasha+fitness+protein

*Crunchy: Kale chips - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/176957/baked-kale-chips/

*Ice Cream!!!: Wink ice cream - https://winkfrozendesserts.com/

*Creamy Ice Cream: Wink ice cream with cottage cheese ( food processor for 2 min )

*Chocolate bar: Any quest chocolate bar

Enjoy ;)

• WriteAndGetFit
    WriteAndGetFit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For a potato substitute, I'd recommend a Japanese radish, they look like this : image The ethnic grocery stores by me are mostly focused on Mexican food and I've found them there. Regular radishes might work too, if you boil them beforehand (they make great hash brown substitutes though) For noodles, I know a recipe for low carb, but it's NOT low calorie. You'd have to decide if the trade off in extra calories is worth it, but the texture is close to the real thing: http://www.uplateanyway.com/keto/fettuccine-low-carb-pasta/
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've used spiral cut cucumber and it has a similar texture. I found it was too low in calories, though.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    See if you like Miracle Rice or Noodles, zero calories, made in the USA, gluten free - they make fettuccine, angel hair pasta, rice etc. It is made from a plant's edible fibre known as Glucomannan - they take on the taste of any dish you are making. You can get them on Amazon.
    I like them and they are a nice calorie free option & good a good add in to any dish you would otherwise use something starchy.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Use barley, brown rice and lentils/beans. They are healthy carbs. Those are okay. I count carbs due to diabetes. Just try to stay away from white rice/flour/sugar. Potatoes are also healthy for you and they have a tendency to fill you up. Don't skip on carbs that are in the form of veggies and fruits. They are not going to rack up the weight gain. They will fill you up and in most cases are low in calories.
  • esckaiftw
    esckaiftw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did Banting for 18 months, on and off, and learned that it depends. Flavor there isn't one but to fill the void left there are so many new flavors and textures, many already mentioned above; cauliflower being my number one for potatoes. Pasta, I have not found anything that comes close for me, so I settled for things that taste just as good in there own way; spaghetti squash and zucchini, mushrooms.