Here we go again!

Options
LadyOfTheCats
LadyOfTheCats Posts: 3 Member
edited September 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hello! I'm a 21 year old who has struggled with weight her whole life. Starting at 8 years old, I saw dieticians, counted calories, and was a fairly active kid with no detectable underlying health problems, yet I still gained a lot of weight. Because of these things, everyone assumed it was a phase and I would slim down as I grew up.

Well, clearly I haven't magically thinned out because here I am now. Depression and social anxiety caused me to lock myself up in my bedroom for a lot of my younger years, and I hit 220lbs around 14-15. All I did was sleep, eat, repeat. Now I'm a grown up with bills, so I work a desk job, sleep, eat, repeat. On top of that, I started a depression medication notorious for causing weight gain in December, so for the first time in years, I've gained MORE weight. I stayed between 215-225 for the last 5-ish years but now, I regret to say I am around 260.

This isn't so much a "I wanna be skinny!" thing as it is a health thing. I feel it starting to wear on me already. I'm way too easily winded and you should see how ridiculously high my heart rate gets after 10 minutes on a stationary bike, haha. Also, when jeans I've been wearing for years suddenly stopped fitting, and that's when I realized I really need to do something, because it's not like I was small to begin with!

I have a tendency to be an extremist -- I eat whatever I want or restrict like crazy, I am lazy or I spend 2+ hours a day at the gym. I'm trying to find the healthy, maintainable balance, because clearly, neither option is working for me.

So, wish me luck! If you wanna be friends, feel free to add me.

Replies

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    So be an extremist about logging, moderate on your activity, and chill on the loss rate. Loss is not linear, but if you are accurate and honest in logging, everything else falls in place and the weight will trend down.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome :) I love your attitude - this journey is about health and about recognising your own limitations and how to address them.

Hope it's OK that I just sent you a friend request - I am in my twenties too and also a cat lady!!
  • LadyOfTheCats
    Options
    So be an extremist about logging, moderate on your activity, and chill on the loss rate. Loss is not linear, but if you are accurate and honest in logging, everything else falls in place and the weight will trend down.

Thanks for the input! :)
  • LadyOfTheCats
    Options
    Hi and welcome :) I love your attitude - this journey is about health and about recognising your own limitations and how to address them.

Hope it's OK that I just sent you a friend request - I am in my twenties too and also a cat lady!!

Thanks for adding me! Also, cats are EVERYTHING :P
  • battyg1313
    battyg1313 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me people