You are what you eat

Options
2500 years ago, Hippocrates, the "Father of Medicine", said to his students, "Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food". Moses Maimonides, the great 12th century physician, repeated the Hippocratic statement when he said, "No illness which can be treated by diet should be treated by any other means". In essence, Hippocrates and Maimonides were insisting that their students practice nutrition therapy, healing the body not by pills, drugs, or surgery, but by changing the things you eat. This type of medical therapy is being used by doctors today, but only by a very small minority.

Replies

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    In essence, Hippocrates and Maimonides were insisting that their students practice nutrition therapy, healing the body not by pills, drugs, or surgery, but by changing the things you eat.

They didn't have access to 99% safe surgery, or antibiotics, or vaccines... and they also believed in humours, which we now know is nonsense.

By all means have a healthy diet, but you can't turn round and tell me my asthma, say, can be cured by eating more vegetables.
  • ashleyfovargue
    ashleyfovargue Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/QotXmdi9Cpc

This is a great watch. :)
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If I am what I eat, then I am pizza, donuts, chicken, and protein shakes.
    I'm okay with that. :sunglasses:
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Uh - BS. I did NOT recently eat a sexy beast!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    2500 years ago, Hippocrates, the "Father of Medicine", said to his students, "Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food". Moses Maimonides, the great 12th century physician, repeated the Hippocratic statement when he said, "No illness which can be treated by diet should be treated by any other means". In essence, Hippocrates and Maimonides were insisting that their students practice nutrition therapy, healing the body not by pills, drugs, or surgery, but by changing the things you eat. This type of medical therapy is being used by doctors today, but only by a very small minority.

I agree that this is the best way to be! Yes, in this day and time we can easily go get a drug, a shot or antibiotic for our medical problems. But the best way to stay healthy is to eat foods that are closest to one ingredient as possible such as fruits, veggies and even meats/poultry if prepared correctly. I think the reason we see doctors more is because of the processed and fast foods available in this day and time. So while they had no drugs back then at the same time they had less of a need for them since they ate more "whole" foods.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In essence, Hippocrates and Maimonides were insisting that their students practice nutrition therapy, healing the body not by pills, drugs, or surgery, but by changing the things you eat.

They didn't have access to 99% safe surgery, or antibiotics, or vaccines... and they also believed in humours, which we now know is nonsense.

By all means have a healthy diet, but you can't turn round and tell me my asthma, say, can be cured by eating more vegetables.

Actually, there are natural ways other than food to help manage the asthma symptoms (not necessarily treat it of course). I knew someone who had asthma and they would play harmonica daily and it helped them a lot. They still needed drugs though because once any body starts taking in a drug for something the body gets used to that drug and needs it more and more. It's very hard to heal a chronic disease after already being on a drug.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of people think taking a drug to control something that could also be controlled by a better diet is "easier". Many doctors also just prescribe a drug instead of talking to patients about diet. I know several people who are very overweight and are diabetic. They prefer to continue eating the way they do and taking insulin rather than losing the weight and possibly curing their diabetes. Same with cholesterol meds.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Not every disease can be controlled by diet though. I have people telling me every day that if I'd eat such and such my Crohn's would be cured (um ok but there's no cure). Thanks but no tyanks