I think the biggest reason for all my diet-breaking is trying not to eat at night

I work part-time at a retail store and most nights find myself getting home late (11:45PM at the latest sometimes). And I immediately want something to eat before I go to bed, but something comes over me at night; I lose all control and eat literally anything in sight. Knowing this, you'd think I could show some control but it's like a voice speaks in my head saying, "Aw who cares? You can start your diet again tomorrow." I've never lost weight. Only gained it.

I've read and heard that eating at night is bad for you but I just wanted some clarity here. If so, what can I eat so I'm not up again at 3am scavenging through my cupboards?

Thank you.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2016
    It definitely sounds like you should plan for a snack after work. Can you trim some calories from the rest of your day to make room for it? What time you eat makes no difference to anyone/anything but your preferences and your ability to stick to your calorie allowance.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Many folks eat most of their daily calories at night. Nothing wrong with it. Experiment with your meal timing to find what feels best to you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Eating at night is not bad. Your body doesn't know what time it is and isn't going to say "well, it's late, so this is all going to become fat."
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    I eat something right before bed every night, actually I eat it in the bed watching TV before lights out. Save you some calories for the nite time!!!

This information you have heard or read is absolutely not true. You may eat your calorie allotment any time of the day you choose. Your body will take care of the rest.

You only gain weight if you over eat your maintenance/TDEE on a regular basis. If you have been gaining weight, its because you eat to many calories to maintain or lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Prelog your day and add an after work snack that will fit your calories.
    Also i would get rid of anything that you struggle with, or know you'll overeat, and don't buy anymore for the time being.

I have issues with cheerios and peanut butter cups, if they are in the house i will binge until they're all gone! i do still buy them, but only once every month or two. They are just not a constant staple in my diet or kitchen pantry anymore.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Agree with what I'm reading above. Also, do you get breaks at your job? Possibly enough time to eat a protein bar or yogurt or something to where you aren't so hungry when you get home? I'm assuming you eat dinner early before you go to work those nights?
    Not that eating later is a bad thing, unless you're like me and feel bloated and stuffed in the morning if I fall asleep too soon after eating. Just thinking an earlier snack would help with the later binge eating...
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    I work nights so much of my eating is done then and I have lost 31 lbs over the past few months. I also eat right before I go to sleep during the day and that doesn't affect anything either. Your body doesn't know when the sun is out or not. If you know you like to eat after you get home, save some calories for that late evening snack. Make sure you are eating a decent amount of protein through the day so you don't want to binge when you get home.
  • hlektra28
    hlektra28 Posts: 84 Member
    i totally feel you i do the same thing i try to controlled it by eating a lot of salad! don't always work thought .... !
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Between my multiple jobs and natural night owl tendencies, I can be up as early as 4am and go to bed as late as 2am (sometimes on the same night!)

The only thing wrong about eating before bed is that it can make some people uncomfortably full/bloated and it's harder to sleep. I don't have that issue, so I eat when i'm starting/finishing work and/or hungry.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    TatumDH wrote: »
    I work part-time at a retail store and most nights find myself getting home late (11:45PM at the latest sometimes). And I immediately want something to eat before I go to bed, but something comes over me at night; I lose all control and eat literally anything in sight. Knowing this, you'd think I could show some control but it's like a voice speaks in my head saying, "Aw who cares? You can start your diet again tomorrow." I've never lost weight. Only gained it.

I've read and heard that eating at night is bad for you but I just wanted some clarity here. If so, what can I eat so I'm not up again at 3am scavenging through my cupboards?

Thank you.

You are probably legitimately hungry. Have you tried cooking a regular meal in advance to heat up in microwave or stove or have some soup instead if snacks? I find that if I eat something with protein it curbs the hunger. Greek yogurt is a bit sour tasting and has a lot of protein. Sometimes a sour pickle will break a craving for food as well. Try to experiment with foods that don't trigger you to overeat.
  • bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    I'm a night eater, too. So I have a good breakfast, a small lunch, and more of a snacky dinner. That saves me calories for night eating.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I think this is how this sort of thing gets spread.

Person X finds that they personally have difficulty not overeating if they eat at night because they tend to start eating when they don't have that many calories left and once they start its hard for them to stop and they overeat. Person X then tells person Y "you shouldn't eat at night" rather than "I personally find it difficult to eat at not and not overeat". Person Y hears "you shouldn't eat at night" and remembers it. Then another person also says that and another and it gets reinforced enough that person Y thinks that eating at night is somehow inherently bad and they avoid it even though for them eating at night was actually helping them stay satiated and on target.

Bottom line is meal timing is personal choice based on what works for you. If you hear someone saying "Don't eat breakfast and it will help you lose weight" always read it as "For me personally, I found not eating breakfast allowed me to lose weight".

People tend to assume what works for them is what is best for everyone else and that is rarely the case.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I think this is how this sort of thing gets spread.

Person X finds that they personally have difficulty not overeating if they eat at night because they tend to start eating when they don't have that many calories left and once they start its hard for them to stop and they overeat. Person X then tells person Y "you shouldn't eat at night" rather than "I personally find it difficult to eat at not and not overeat". Person Y hears "you shouldn't eat at night" and remembers it. Then another person also says that and another and it gets reinforced enough that person Y thinks that eating at night is somehow inherently bad and they avoid it even though for them eating at night was actually helping them stay satiated and on target.

Bottom line is meal timing is personal choice based on what works for you. If you hear someone saying "Don't eat breakfast and it will help you lose weight" always read it as "For me personally, I found not eating breakfast allowed me to lose weight".

People tend to assume what works for them is what is best for everyone else and that is rarely the case.

This. The fine line between myth and half-truth. The not understanding the difference between how and why things work. The good advice when not counting calories, that turn into bad advice when counting calories.

"Don't eat at might" will be a fine tip if, but only if, what and how much - but ultimately only how much - you eat at night takes you over your calorie allowance for the day.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited September 2016
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Eating at night is not bad for you, unless it makes you sick or if you go over calories.

Keep some calories saved for a nighttime snack, and you should be fine.

This really. Also I tend to buy big (cheaper) bags of nuts and other snacks and pot them out, so I know without having to use my brain that I have a 200kcal snack without exercising willpower either.
  • ashleyfovargue
    ashleyfovargue Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2016
    From a logical and scientific point of view it is claimed that a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter to the body when it is consumed. Having said that I do know a large number of people who struggled with weight loss and things finally clicked for them when they stopped eating in the evening. There may of course be other factors at play here. I'm a noob here only on day 4 but avoiding eating after my evening meal at 18.30 is something I'm trying to do...regardless of the weight loss element that may or may not come from this I just feel it can enable you to become a bit more self controlled with food, I think when most people eat mindlessly it is in the late evening slumped in front of the TV.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    From a logical and scientific point of view it is claimed that a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter to the body when it is consumed. Having said that I do know a large number of people who struggled with weight loss and things finally clicked for them when they stopped eating in the evening. There may of course be other factors at play here. I'm a noob here only on day 4 but avoiding eating after my evening meal at 18.30 is something I'm trying to do...regardless of the weight loss element that may or may not come from this I just feel it can enable you to become a bit more self controlled with food, I think when most people eat mindlessly it is in the late evening slumped in front of the TV.

I think if you are able to use this tactic to cut calories that is wonderful. Please also know that a large number of people will struggle to do this and find it much easier to adhere to their daily calorie allowance if they can have an evening snack.
  • ashleyfovargue
    ashleyfovargue Posts: 21 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »

I think if you are able to use this tactic to cut calories that is wonderful. Please also know that a large number of people will struggle to do this and find it much easier to adhere to their daily calorie allowance if they can have an evening snack.

Yeah, as the thread seems to be suggesting it really is an individual thing and what works best for each person.

From my perspective I did highlight that after my evening meal I had a tendency to snack/graze an awful lot before bed. Obviously now I am on MFP I will be counting calories now anyway which would stop overeating my daily allowance. Will see how it goes as early days...first weigh in on Thursday. :)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Night eating is fine as long as you don't go over your calories. Before you go to work can you set up a plate for yourself? Have your main, a side, cut up veggies, and a bowl of fruit ready to go as soon as you walk in. I used to (and sometimes still do because I am forgetful) eat a bunch of junk because making a meal would take to long and I was HUNGRY RIGHT NOW. So now, I try to do crock pot things and have veggies all cut up and ready to eat.