28 day diet

Options
My doctor has put me on the 28 day diet. I call it the "egg diet". I tried this a few months back, but failed miserably on the 4th day.
I hope I am more determined this time. My weight has not become unmanageable yet, but if I don't change...it will be.
Fitness Pal doesn't seem to like this diet. Telling me I am not consuming enough calories. This is a doctor recommendation.. and I am going to do what he tells me. He says I will lose over 30lbs in a month. More beyond that if I stick with it, even past the 28 days
Today is day 1. I eat 1/2 an Orange, 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 cups of coffee with splenda only and by breakfast I have had 2 full glasses of water. For lunch I can have as much of ONE fruit as I like..Oranges, strawberries, pears, apples, plums, cantaloupe, or watermelon. I am having apples.
Dinner can be grilled meat. I am having hamburger patties. If I am hungry 2 hours after a meal...I can have cucumbers or carrots... but just 1 or the other. By dinner time, I should have drank 8 glasses of water.
If I stick with this.. I should have lost 50 lbs by Thanksgiving.

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What sort of Doctor is this? No wonder you failed miserably by the fourth day when you tried this before, it's a VLCD, filled with arbitrary and unnecessary rules about what you can eat and when you can eat it.

How much weight do you have to lose total? Have you tried plugging your stats into MFP, selecting a reasonable rate of loss, logging all your food accurately, and eating a balanced diet of mostly nutrient dense foods with a few treats thrown in as they fit within your calories? Do you exercise, or what's your daily activity like?

This program suggested by your doctor is destined for failure. Not that you are destined for failure, but I don't know anyone who could keep up with that approach and have energy to function in day to day life. Not to mention it doesn't teach you how to make healthy, calorie appropriate choices for yourself.

I hope you will take the advice you've gotten here and seek a new approach (and a new doctor).
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Before I responded I did some research and found the 28 day menu plan for this diet. After scanning through it my thought was...

How does anyone make it past the first 2 or 3 days?

Why just one type of fruit can be eaten at a time?

How many calories in a day?

How much exercise in addition to a VLCD in order to lose more than a pound a day for 28 days?

But you are an adult...you can make your own choices. I would recommend doing some research before embarking on a diet....that could be very unhealthy for you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone put you on diets.
    Nobody is this stupid. If it's true, it's sad. Find yourself a new doctor and report this one.
    Of course you can't stay on a diet like that, and you shouldn't even try.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Physicians aren't Dietitians, they have no education and/or legal right (license), to do so. I'd find a new Doctor & report them to the police, for practicing medicine; without a license. It's a serious crime (felony)!
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If I stick with this.. I should have lost 50 lbs by Thanksgiving.[/quote]

Sorry but be prepared to be disappointed. And find a new Dr for goodness sake.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    that's just a recipe for disaster. i feel hungry just reading this plan.even if you lose weight in this diet, you'll gain it all back and more.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    4.5lbs a week? No. Not possible. Nope. Not every single week. That's ludicrous.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Isn't the golden rule of being a doctor 'Do No Harm?'

Because trying to lose a pound a day will do you some serious harm, both physical and mental. Go back to your doctor and ask him to explain his reasoning behind such a ludicrous diet, then plug your stats into MFP and follow a sensible calorie deficit. You won't lose 30lb in a month, but you WILL feel better about it as you gradually lose weight.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Nope nope nope. Get a second opinion if you aren't inclined to ignore a doctor. That's some crazy unsustainable shiz right there.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. I'd find a new doctor asap.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    4.5lbs a week? No. Not possible. Nope. Not every single week. That's ludicrous.

This. It sounds like complete torture.

My advice: set up myfitnesspal, buy a food scale, weigh all solid and semi solid foods on it, log accurately every day. Don't even look at measuring cups and spoons unless you're measuring liquid. You'll lose weight. No need to go on ridiculous diets or make yourself miserable.....

Change your expectations....
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why does he advocate losing that much weight that fast? Sounds dangerous and unhealthy.
    I lost 40 pounds the first 4 weeks, with my dr's supervision, and I was eating 1200-1400 calories per day. So it is doable, but I was morbidly obese at the time.

P.S. and yes, it is sustainable. I lost over 160# total in 20 months and have kept it off for almost 3 years.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP: You mention in your profile that your thyroid "stopped working." Are you currently being medicated for hypothyroidism?

Also, I concur with everyone else. Your doctor (if he even *is* one) needs to lose his licence and you as a patient.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Echo what everyone else says- also diets don't work. Believe me I've tried many many diets. I was only successful when I ate the allotted calories given to me by MFP, ate back around half of my exercise calories and ate whatever I liked, as long as I could fit the calories into my daily goal. Eat what you like - what is described above is NOT sustainable. When you go back to eating regularly you will just gain it back. The app teaches you how to eat normally- just eating less of what you already like. Also- what is the rush? Who cares if you can lose 30 pounds in a month if you are only going to gain it back? It's a marathon- not a sprint. Listen to those of us who have been successful.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If a doctor put me on a fad diet to lose weight, I'd find another doctor quickly.