Greek Yogurt for Less Money!

Options
If you like Greek yogurt but don't like the price...try this trick that I got from my mom. I got a 32-ounce container of plain, nonfat yogurt and dumped it out into a fine mesh colander that I set on top of a bowl. Put it in the fridge overnight and in the morning I poured out a cup of liquid/whey that had strained out of the yogurt. The yogurt is nice and thick and creamy now! Voila! Greek yogurt for $1.99 instead of eight bucks. :-)

You can add fresh fruit or extracts to it too. I use it for my smoothies so I don't need to do that.

Replies

• mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wow, nice trick thanks for the info
  • Alishaa18
    Alishaa18 Posts: 21
    Options
    thank you!!!..I love it but I always skip it because I cringe at the price :)
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TeteDeLaCourse
    Options
    If you don't have a fine mesh strainer/colander you can use a regular colander with a piece of paper towel or cheesecloth in it. Either way works fine.
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a fine mesh strainer/colander you can use a regular colander with a piece of paper towel or cheesecloth in it. Either way works fine.

Or a coffee filter.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The texture is the same, but the protein is not. Part of the reason I enjoy greek yogurt is for the added protein to my day. :-)
  • TeteDeLaCourse
    Options
    Oh, I just use the yogurt in my protein smoothie anyway. I add a scoop of whey protein powder to that.
  • mucha3grls
    Options
    Thanks, I keep passing it up because it cost so much for that little container. Now I can get the 32 oz. name brand at my $.99 store and use your idea. Thanks again
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    What yogurt are you paying that much for? I shop sales and coupon. I seriously doubt I eve pay more than $3 for the really large tub of Fage.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I buy Fage 0% for the protein.... this is a neat little trick, but youre not getting the protein and it probably has a lot more sugar.
    There are a million things labeled "greek yogurt" but there are very few that are worth spending money on. Fage, Chobani, Trader Joe's... all have something like 20-25g protein in less than a cup..and very little sugar. Read the label...if the protein is 5-10g you may as well just buy some fancy flavored one.

Watch for coupons -- but for me, this is one thing that I never skimp on and its worth every penny. I would be lost without my daily fage fix... agave/steveia to sweeten, chia seeds or flax seeds, blueberries, walnuts...yum.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The texture is the same, but the protein is not. Part of the reason I enjoy greek yogurt is for the added protein to my day. :-)

Me too..gotta have my Fage :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% in the 4 cup container at Costco.
  • anave285
    anave285 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've needed to get some because so many recipes call for it. Thanks for the tip. I will buy a small actual greek yogurt and then compare it to the strained one. As many recipes call for it, I could definitely appreciate the savings.