Terrified of working out in front of others

Options

Replies

• Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I listen to music on my iPod. It shuts everyone else out and lets me focus on what I am doing.

Also you need to remember that everyone else there is as conscious of how they look as you. Which is why they are there to look better. Just ignore them. Focus on you and your workout :)
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    How about I share what I did:

I started by walking for 10 minutes a day (just to get into the habit of doing exercise every day) then I upped the time to 20 minutes a day, then walking faster, then jogging after I lost about 21lb THEN I joined a gym; because I knew I was serious about changing my relationship with food and exercise. Once I went to the gym only then did I realise people are too focussed on their own exercise routine to be looking at anyone else in detail. If anything I admire people who are clearly starting out on there own getting healthy journey.

Tell you what, why don't you arrange to go to your local gym and get shown around by one of the trainers? These things are usually free and it gives you a feel for the place. If you don't like it try another, you may surprise yourself and realise they aren't the intimidating places they first seem.

Also Gyms are businesses so why would they make them intimidating and put potential customers off?
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Actually, one more thing I forgot about. Around 4 weeks ago I DID notice someone, it was a young guy, about early 20's working with a personal trainer, he clearly had problems with his legs and had crutches. The only thing I though was "so here am I moaning internally about my treadmill run, and that guys just getting on with it...get over yourself". The most inspiring people I've seen at gyms are people like that, buff men and women are great don't get me wrong, but I really admire commitment like that more.
  • dazedjul1
    dazedjul1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've noticed people at the gym tend to respect your effort level, not care about your appearance. Plus if you decide to start lifting, they're almost always happy to give advice. Don't let the fear keep you away, push through it, you're worth it.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Turn it on its head. Would you look at someone overweight and working hard on a treadmill, and think "Wow they look hilarious/hideous?" Or would you think they were awesome for getting healthy? Or (more likely) would you glance at them and then not think about them for the rest of the day?
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There's people of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels in any gym. The hardest part is going for the first time but once your there you'll realise nobody will be looking at you and doing their own thing.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you're only willing to exercise when you're already fit... well, you can see the problem! You're probably not going to stop hating how your body looks overnight, but you can choose right now not to let that irrational feeling hold you back.

However, I'm going to offer a counter opinion here. I think the gym sucks - it's extremely hard to maintain motivation if you're only there to lose weight or work on your body, because it takes so long to see any results. If you don't actually enjoy the exercise you're doing, it will be a temporary thing like a "diet", whose effects will fade when you inevitably lose motivation. Instead, find a physical activity that you enjoy and that you can stick with, and make it a permanent habit, a part of your routine.

Only join a gym if that's the place for your chosen activity. For instance, my gym has excellent squash facilities and that's why I'm a member, but I've never even seen their weight room or cardio equipment!

Of course, some activities leave you even more exposed, but if you can overcome that initial exposed feeling, you soon stop being self-conscious. When I first started running I was amazed how many acquaintances told me they'd seen me out pounding the pavement. Now, though, nobody even mentions it, it's just an accepted part of who I am. The only reason anyone noticed me in the first place was because they recognised me, and when they mentioned it in conversation it was only to express their admiration.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I know this is not about me, @WorkingToBeSkinny -

Go work-out at the gym. Be around and in front of and beside other people.

You want to feel good about working out around people? The only way to have that feeling is to actually do the thing that bothers you. By doing-so, you will develop a healthy dose of "Not giving an F." Your journey is yours. Upon the river of your life you are in a tiny row boat. This is your boat to row. Will you row it towards obesity or row it towards health.

And even your username...Look friend - you are probably a grown up so I don't meant to lecture - but is 'skinny' REALLY what you are working towards? If merely 'skinny' is your goal I submit you may end up no different than you are now. Because when you're skinny it will be "All the others are so muscular and I'm weak!" or whatever.

First seek love for yourself. Seek value of your internal self. Going slowly, link by link you will Unzip the fat suit you're wearing and one day look back - not skinny, but HEALTHY, and Happy.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Seriously these people are right. No body cares about you at the gym. Everyone is overly concerned with how they look so they don't notice how anyone else looks. And... even if someone does look? Who gives a sht! Own what ya got! It's not about them it's about you. Get over it and do your thing. Don't let the opinion of others have any power over you!
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I know it seems impossible but try and socialize with the people you're working out around to create a climate of comfort. Whether it's asking for advice, making small chat or just giving someone a compliment give it a shot!
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Although it's true, it's far easier for people to just say "people at the gym aren't looking at you", "people don't care" etc. It's a confidence issue that you need to get over. If I were you I would start doing some home work outs when you have the house to yourself. Or let your family no you are going to do some exercise and do not want to be disturbed. Once you get into the swing of it and get more body confidence you will find that you are able to get out and exercise in pubic.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    If I occasionally glance your way...know that I'm running my grocery list and my errand list in my head and not paying attention to where my eyes went.

No offense. :)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical from Kmart and work out at home......partly because I don't like exercising in public and partly because I like to exercise in my PJ's then shower and get ready for the day.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Block them out and do you. I was terrified going into the weight area for some reason. I thought all of the guys and super fit gals would be snickering the whole time. You know what? No one cared. Everyone was there to get their workouts in and go home. I knew what exercises I wanted to do, watched videos on form, put my headphones in and did it. The only guy that looked annoyed was this guy trying to take mirror selfies and I was in the way. lol
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    dress in long leggings and a long tshirt. problem solved.
    in my classes we are all so busy trying not to pass out no one has time to look at the other
    you just need to get on with it. You are not the first person to have fat on you and you wont be the last
    good luck
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym and see a larger person, several things always cross my mind.

1) they're awesome for being there, if I see them on more that one ocassion they are super awesome
    2) they're better than everyone I know who is at home sitting on their couch
    3) they motivate me to keep going, if they're sweating and putting in the effort, why am I not?

You're success in going to the gym will motivate others in the same situation. It's contagious.

I wish I was confident enough to tell them how awesome they are!
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    dazedjul1 wrote: »
    I've noticed people at the gym tend to respect your effort level, not care about your appearance. Plus if you decide to start lifting, they're almost always happy to give advice. Don't let the fear keep you away, push through it, you're worth it.

This also.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    The only person that really cares about how you look in the gym, is you. Others feel the same about themselves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Looking back, I have had a tendency to increase my time at the gym as I get slimmer/fitter, doing most of my exercise from home in the first 6-12 months. I'd say it was less about shame, and more about a desire to use more professional equipment to help my progression once I was somewhat fit. Although maybe there IS some pride getting me out the door too. I like the gym not only for its equipment, but for that feeling of being in a community of people who are focussed on their fitness.

BUT working out at home had big advantages too. At home I wear clothing that I'd never be caught dead in in public, I can strip down to bra and underwear if I'm overheating during cardio, I can be smelly, I can grunt, I can sing along to my music, I can fit my workouts in whenever I want, sometimes breaking them up over the course of the day. Stairs were my go to cardio in early days. I would keep a sheet of paper and tally up each flight over the course of the day. Hand weights were a close second, also scribbled down. Ditto for jumping jacks.

Exercise, IMO, is an important part of the weight loss process, both for the mental and physical aspects. Where there's a will there's a way.

You've got this.