Calling all Hunters/Gatherers

Options

Replies

• BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Haha! Yea I'm excited about my trip too. Have fun :)
    Right back at'cha! :smiley:

• beautifulchaos135
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Ok, so another genuine question here - why can't all that happen with a camera instead of a bow or gun?

I feel like you have genuine questions but simultaneously you come off judgmental which obviously goes against the reason this page/thread was started. Hunting is a personal choice that not everyone chooses to make. Some choose to buy their meat from commercial sources that completely mistreat and disrespect the life of an animal. Others choose not to hunt because they strictly don't eat meat at all and feel that meat is not a necessary part of a diet. Both of these reasons although I, personally, I don't agree with them I respect. I don't understand why people choose to have others abuse animals for the sake of food the same way I don't understand why others feel only vegetables are necessary for a diet. There are equal amounts of healthy people eating meat than there are not eating meat in the world. Does it all boil down to preference? I absolutely think so. Do I judge people for their decisions? No. I may not agree with these decisions but I respect them. I don't tell you that you're depleting animals of their habitats because they're clearing land to farm the very fruits and vegetables you're eating. I don't need to guilt trip you into that. I also don't need to tell you that when I hunt for boar that are an extremely invasive species in the south, it's allowing local farmers to grow the fruits and vegetables that you eat and live off of. Because wild boar are known to destroy crops, hunters are used to try to eradicate the large numbers of wild boar running rampant. In a perfect world each of us would sustain ourselves 100%. I don't live in the middle of nowhere and so having to live solely on the land hunting and gathering and surviving isn't really necessary for my life. Do I go to the store and occasionally buy food? Yea. I do. The same way I'm sure that 80 percent of the vegetarians in this world don't grow their own crops they go to the store and they buy them.

As for taking pictures of animals instead of shooting them... Well, I can't really digest pictures. I do take pictures of them, though. Not every animal I come across in the wild do I kill and eat. Despite popular belief about the hunters we for the most part respect and love nature. As a matter fact it's the reason why we hunt. We respect the natural order of things, and when that natural order starts to get wonky because of invasive species or overpopulation, we step in. I've appreciated every single animal I have hunted for what they have done for myself and my family. It would be absolutely erroneous for you or anybody else to assume that we hunt for the enjoyment of taking the lives of animals. We're not hunting for sport we're hunting to eat these animals not just wear them or hang them on the wall.
    Perfectly said!

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You have to take the culture into account here. I am British so we are split by a common language.

I see so much, what I would call hoopla, in the thread that it does come across as enjoyment of hunting, rather a a practical way to source meat, hence my questions. Again, this may just be the way you chaps express yourselves, but I also see trophy shots with Buck etc that again makes it seem more a sport than a practical event. I suspect that there is a mix and a continuum. As I expressed earlier, I see nothing wrong in one for the pot from a sustainable source, taken humanely. I do have a problem with sport hunting. In the UK most hunting is the latter, even when dressed up as something else. Fox hunting, otter hunting and deer hunting - all with hounds - is illegal, but still goes on under the guise of trail hunting. Coursing (running greyhounds) after hares occurs, although that too is illegal. Foxes are shot "as pest control" despite the fact that this doesn't work and people pay a fortune to stalk deer. Sport shoots are help for pheasants and grouse in which hundreds are killed by maybe a dozen guns. Many are discarded. These are also birds that are bred to be hunted and released.

So, with that as the background to the hunting I have lived around, I am interested in hearing the rationales behind a very different culture.

I am sorry if it comes off as judgemental, it is not supposed to.
  • nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. To be honest, the whole British traditional style of hunting is cruel to me. 20 hounds after a couple foxes, they don't stand a chance. It's not even respectable because you corner the animal in a panic against 10 trained hounds. Your view of hunting stems from something different and I see why you're looking to understand others' cultures.

We at times take pictures with the animal we've hunted. It isn't an easy task by any means to hunt on foot with the weight of your bow and arrows or firearms. It may be days before you come across an animal suitable to kill. There are seasons in which the populations are at the highest which is when these are hunted and even then there are rules and regulations. But the picture is a memory of the entire process. The patience and the appreciation.

Does everyone follow the rules of hunting? No. But I can only speak for myself and the hunters I know.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You have to take the culture into account here. I am British so we are split by a common language.

I see so much, what I would call hoopla, in the thread that it does come across as enjoyment of hunting, rather a a practical way to source meat, hence my questions. Again, this may just be the way you chaps express yourselves, but I also see trophy shots with Buck etc that again makes it seem more a sport than a practical event. I suspect that there is a mix and a continuum. As I expressed earlier, I see nothing wrong in one for the pot from a sustainable source, taken humanely. I do have a problem with sport hunting. In the UK most hunting is the latter, even when dressed up as something else. Fox hunting, otter hunting and deer hunting - all with hounds - is illegal, but still goes on under the guise of trail hunting. Coursing (running greyhounds) after hares occurs, although that too is illegal. Foxes are shot "as pest control" despite the fact that this doesn't work and people pay a fortune to stalk deer. Sport shoots are help for pheasants and grouse in which hundreds are killed by maybe a dozen guns. Many are discarded. These are also birds that are bred to be hunted and released.

So, with that as the background to the hunting I have lived around, I am interested in hearing the rationales behind a very different culture.

I can def see the cultural difference. I do not like fox or otter (seriously otter?? they are so cute!!) hunting because it is a sport hunt.

In upstate NY where I live, the game wardens keep a close eye on the deer population. They know how many deer the land can support. The deer of course don't, and have as many babies as possible. The state issues deer tags for the excess number of deer. If the land can support say 100 deer, but there are 135 deer out there then 35 deer need to be gone. You can either let them starve to death- and it will be more then 35 dying a horrible death- or issues 35 deer tags. Then 35 deer are shot and eaten. You really want the deer to die quickly and painless because if you shot it a bunch of times randomly the meat won't be good. The money from the deer tags go to the forestry dept which takes care of national parks, and other woodland related issues.

Also where I live, if you donate the meat to a food bank you can get an additional tag so not only do the hunters feed themselves and their family, but they are also feeding people in need.

I don't see a problem mounting the head- you can't eat that part so it's not like it's being wasted. I personally wouldn't, those eyes just STARING creep me out. But enjoying hunting doesn't make a person a 'bad' person who enjoys hurting animals and who will go on to be a serial killer.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have a 120 acre farm...

...that we manage for hardwood production (white oak, red oak, and walnut). We also manage the property for primarily for deer and turkey hunting as well as fishing. We are trying to reintroduce quail and one nesting pair has moved in - but we have not seen or heard them in the past couple of weeks. We have rabbit, squirrel, loads of raccoons, dove and a ton of wood ducks as well. We have several bobcats on camera and many normal and exotic birds because we provide nesting habitat to attract them. In addition to natures forage, we provide food plots, clover fields, and alfalfa fields to support the wildlife. We also have introduced many beneficial aquatic plants into our lakes and ponds to support a healthy fishing environment.

In order to keep the aforementioned healthy and thriving, we have to manage nuisance plant species like locust trees, elm, hard maple and nuisance plants like autumn olive and multiflora rose. We hire off-duty firemen to burn fields every spring. We continuously fight the scrub oak, etc. There is no outcry from the general public about managing nuisance plants and trees...And managing them is a constant chore. Mother nature never gives up.

We also have to 'manage' nuisance animals. Manage means kill for those of you who have never managed property before. BTW - Whether hunting or managing nuisance critters, we strive to do it as humanely as possible - assume most hunters do the same thing and you will be right most of the time. It is the few bad apples that give us all a bad name and what most of the distorted anti-hunting posts are talking about prior to this one.

We have the occasional otter infestation and they kill every one of our catfish and many huge bass. These are nuisance critters, along with muskrats and we trap them when they come.

We presently have a huge beaver den in one of our lakes - it moved in this late winter. This critter is destructive beyond anything you can imagine - especially on a tree farm. They are cutting down every freaking tree in sight and clogging all spillways and drainage pipes. As soon as it cools and we no longer will swim in that lake, these nuisance critters will also be trapped. We have granted them clemency until December - after deer season.

Feral cats, skunks, and coyotes are also nuisance critters to be managed.

We always have a rifle with us.

This is life on the farm...

• lilsteig
    lilsteig Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! What an awesome thread. It's great to see so many people that enjoy the same activity!

I hunt deer, turkey, and occasionally grouse. This will be my first year with a bow, so I'm really looking forward to the extra time bow season gives! There is nothing better than fresh venison from my own woods.

Someday I hope to go south for a boar hunt and west for an elk hunt. Fingers crossed!

Great to meet ya, hunters!
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We had a GREAT day dove huntin' today... it was myself, my dad. my older brother and my younger brother! I'm not lyin' when I tell ya'll that the time together is priceless! We ended up baggin' around 30+ and to top it all off, they all got a huge laugh at something that happened to me out there LOL They said they wished they could've video'd it that probably could've won America's Funniest LOL. I won't go into what happened, but let's just say that if any of you remember the followin' cartoon, then replace the pigeon with one of my dove (for the sake of no one gettin' offended LOL). Finaly got that sucker, but oh my, they were rollin'! LOL

Who remembers this cartoon? My younger brother was actually about 200 yards singin' the song LOL....
    Stop the Pigeon

Fess up.... who remembers it? LOL
  • beautifulchaos135
    Options
    You have to take the culture into account here.

This is what hunting is to me...had to sharekf17hc8ps43b.jpeg

• nojuicejustjin
    nojuicejustjin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We had a GREAT day dove huntin' today... it was myself, my dad. my older brother and my younger brother! I'm not lyin' when I tell ya'll that the time together is priceless! We ended up baggin' around 30+ and to top it all off, they all got a huge laugh at something that happened to me out there LOL They said they wished they could've video'd it that probably could've won America's Funniest LOL. I won't go into what happened, but let's just say that if any of you remember the followin' cartoon, then replace the pigeon with one of my dove (for the sake of no one gettin' offended LOL). Finaly got that sucker, but oh my, they were rollin'! LOL

Who remembers this cartoon? My younger brother was actually about 200 yards singin' the song LOL....
    Stop the Pigeon

Fess up.... who remembers it? LOL

:lol: hahaha
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This whole work thing.................. overrated, i should be in the stand or chasing doves! Not to mention having 250+ geese feeding in the field across from the office............ *kitten*! Who wants to skip out and go hunting with me?
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options
    JdMcCoy82 wrote: »
    This whole work thing.................. overrated, i should be in the stand or chasing doves! Not to mention having 250+ geese feeding in the field across from the office............ *kitten*! Who wants to skip out and go hunting with me?

Don't temp me LOL
    I used to live in a town who's schools closed on the opening day of squirrel season... Work should do the same :)
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options

Don't temp me LOL
    I used to live in a town who's schools closed on the opening day of squirrel season... Work should do the same :)

TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have a 120 acre farm...

...that we manage for hardwood production (white oak, red oak, and walnut). We also manage the property for primarily for deer and turkey hunting as well as fishing. We are trying to reintroduce quail and one nesting pair has moved in - but we have not seen or heard them in the past couple of weeks. We have rabbit, squirrel, loads of raccoons, dove and a ton of wood ducks as well. We have several bobcats on camera and many normal and exotic birds because we provide nesting habitat to attract them. In addition to natures forage, we provide food plots, clover fields, and alfalfa fields to support the wildlife. We also have introduced many beneficial aquatic plants into our lakes and ponds to support a healthy fishing environment.

In order to keep the aforementioned healthy and thriving, we have to manage nuisance plant species like locust trees, elm, hard maple and nuisance plants like autumn olive and multiflora rose. We hire off-duty firemen to burn fields every spring. We continuously fight the scrub oak, etc. There is no outcry from the general public about managing nuisance plants and trees...And managing them is a constant chore. Mother nature never gives up.

We also have to 'manage' nuisance animals. Manage means kill for those of you who have never managed property before. BTW - Whether hunting or managing nuisance critters, we strive to do it as humanely as possible - assume most hunters do the same thing and you will be right most of the time. It is the few bad apples that give us all a bad name and what most of the distorted anti-hunting posts are talking about prior to this one.

We have the occasional otter infestation and they kill every one of our catfish and many huge bass. These are nuisance critters, along with muskrats and we trap them when they come.

We presently have a huge beaver den in one of our lakes - it moved in this late winter. This critter is destructive beyond anything you can imagine - especially on a tree farm. They are cutting down every freaking tree in sight and clogging all spillways and drainage pipes. As soon as it cools and we no longer will swim in that lake, these nuisance critters will also be trapped. We have granted them clemency until December - after deer season.

Feral cats, skunks, and coyotes are also nuisance critters to be managed.

We always have a rifle with us.

This is life on the farm...

I never thought of otters as destructive, but that does make sense. I think of Sea Otters, I never really think of them in rivers.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    How's the hunting going everyone? Season opened here last week.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options

Don't temp me LOL

TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT TEMPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, You're funny
    I bet those geese were starin' back at ya too
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Archery season starts Oct. 1st for me, gotta dust off my bow and start practicing lol. Dove season started last weekend but I can't go due to my job. No bird hunting of any kind for me unfortunately :disappointed:, but hopefully they'll lift the ban before turkey season.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    For us it's Bow season from Sept 1st-9th. Although, youth under 18 can shoot any buck with bone in our region till the 9th. After that it's 4 points or better on Mule, and any buck for Whites. Elk is any Bull during Bow season, then after it's 6 points or better.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options
    You know one of the best reasons I love to process my own meat, 'cause "I" can control the quality of it. I can control what goes in it (if I choose to grind deer/hogs to make sausage patties/links) or if just grinding for "ground meat", whether I add any fat to it or not or how much if I choose to add (just ground deer/hog only, no fat added.... grinding for sausage, just a hint added). I get chastised quite often for huntin'/fishin' etc... but there's one thing I can tell you, I know EXACTLY what I'm eatin' and where it came from and how it was processed LOL

What do most of y'all do, process your own or use a meat locker?