Terrified of working out in front of others

Options

Replies

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Your not scared of what ppl think its your own demons that are holding you back. Not to be rude by anymeans. But you have to ignore the voice in your head saying you cant and take it in small steps. Even just walking around the block or neighborhood listening to music as you walk is better then sitting there. Again Im not trying to cut you down at all. Im actually trying to help you recognize your beating yourself up. We are always our own worst enemy. Even myself I get down on myself and get in funks. It happens, but like Rocky tells his son. If not how hard you can get hit, its how hard you can get knocked down and get up and Keep Moving FORWARD!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    nobody looks at your body when you workout. If they do then THEY are the weirdos, not you.

This morning I just went for a walk round the park rather than my usual 40 minute run and imagined what people would think of me. Lazy? unfit? a pointless attempt at exercise? But the truth is what I KNOW, that I overdid it on a long run the other day, and am aching, did an hours intense dance class last night, and am prepping for a 10k race so don't want to overdo it.

What other people think doesn't matter as they do not have all the information. And if they DO ever think anything about me working out, it's probably mostly 'wow, I wish I had the motivation to get up early to workout'
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, so for a long time I avoided going to the gym.

One day I came to the realization that the other people working out are just doing their own thing, and they likely don't even notice me or care that I'm there. Once you realize that too, there will be nothing can stop you! :wink:
  • trilawyer
    trilawyer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    F that noise! :) Rest assured, unless you are working out naked, having a visible medical emergency or breaking equipment, no one cares/is looking at you/judging you.
  • mojo75
    mojo75 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    when you go into a gym you'll notice the number of people in shape is much lower than those that aren't. A good portion of them are just as uncomfortable as you are so just remember they are looking at themselves way more than you.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I have a different reason for not wanting to work out in front of others. I'm worried they will make fun or me, or saying I'm not doing it right, or that I'm not putting my "all" in it when I know I am. I do however have the same problem of not wanting people to see me in a bathing suit. I usually use a pair of my husbands swim trunks and a baggy t-shirt if I do get to go in a pool (and they allow it). I did borrow a bathing suit one time this summer, but I kept my large towel covering my body the whole time I was not inside the pool.
  • Ainevethe
    Ainevethe Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The biggest clue here was found in your own words "I won't even go swimming because *I* hate how my body looks." You don't like your body, so you are making the assumption that other people are going to look at you, and feel the same way about your body as you do.

I too used to feel like you do, in fact, I rarely go out because I am ashamed at what I have become, physically. I did go to a college gym, and 3 guys were staring at me, giggling like schoolgirls, and I got completely embarrassed and left, never to return to that gym. I refused to go to a gym for a year afterwards, convinced it was all about how awful I looked, they were *obviously* laughing at my fat *kitten* trying to work out...right?

*IF* true, that was *their* failure to be a compassionate human being, not my failing.

MY failing was sitting home for years afterwards, allowing fear to control me. My failure was allowing what I *feared* would come from others dictate what I am willing to do for myself. I subscribed to Daily Burn and worked out at home, first doing the beginners workout and then graduating to the DB365 workout which I have done every day since. Currently, I am shopping around, for a woman's gym, just so I worry *less* about guys staring at me. But after a year, I can say that I regret WAY more failing myself than that momentary feeling of humiliation. I let them win, and it was ME who created that victory for them by allowing it to CHANGE ME, instead of ME changing ME so I didn't give others the power to change me. If that makes sense. :)

I still won't do public swimming with my son, run for the bus if I am going to miss it, all because of my view of MYSELF that I then project onto what I feel is a very ugly and judgemental public view of me...but in the end, the problem is with me, and knowing that, I truly AM working on it.

I'm saying this because I want you know you are not alone in your feelings but I also am saying it because I hope you can change your outlook about yourself way sooner than I have. I have so many regrets and so much shame because of what I have MISSED in my life due to my insecurity not because of what size my butt is. Find a way to see the beauty in yourself, and worry less about what others *may* think.

If I could redo the last 30 years of my life, I would take 10x the amount of humiliation I ever feared or received in exchange for getting all those wasted years back.

Exercise for YOU. Aspire to health, for YOU. Love you where you ARE because it is the foundation of everything you will become.

As I heard the other day " What you are today is the result of what you did yesterday. What you are tomorrow is the result of what you do today." I am trying to live that.

Find a way you feel comfortable doing for your body what you WANT to be able to do. Best wishes.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most of us there are too busy in our own routines to care. Yes, some people look, most of them are looking for a friendly face, someone facing the same path. And honestly, I think once you are there and have shown some consistancy, you might find that a few of those people are nice, because they are a friendly face, and someone to help you feel accountable with.

And if baggy cloths make you feel comfortable, then go with it. The rules do not say that you HAVE to wear tight clothing. Just because that is what V/S sells as workout clothes, does not mean that is what you HAVE to go with.
  • janalynnrn
    janalynnrn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had this fear as well. Then one day I asked myself, "how often do you look at other people working out" and I realized I NEVER DO. EVER. And then I figured everyone else probably also NEVER LOOKS AT ME. And that was it for me.
  • waylander1975
    waylander1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had [and sometimes still have the same thoughts] as a former college rugby player and now 400 pounder going back to the gym. I found having a trainer helped [allowed me to turn off my brain and just follow orders as well as signalling my seriousness to others in the gym]. What I discovered though was that if anyone said anything, they were encouraging and positive- and this is at a university gym where the majority are 15-20 years younger than me and in significantly better shape.
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to think like OP as well. Then I sucked it up and joined a gym and rapidly discovered that people are there to work out, not watch other people work out and the self consciousness disappeared. Now I wander in and crack on with it.
    I started going to a fitness class a few years ago when I got into the idea of getting fit and was terrified I'd be the fat guy at the back. I turned up and was indeed the fat guy at the back. Everyone else there was already quite fit. Did they scorn me or look down their noses at me? Nope. Each and every one of them was super supportive and turned out to be really nice folks to boot and this has generally been my experience with fitness in general. All of the people I've met are there for their own reasons and are in their own world, me included, and don't care if the person on the next bit of kit over is a 180lb, 8% bodyfat ninja warrior candidate or a 450lb, 40% bodyfat person trying to shed some pounds. Everyone is there to work out and that's it.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple, no one is worried about you, nor looking at you.
  • Eagenjs
    Eagenjs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eleven months ago I joined Crossfit which if you've seen a lot of the videos is inhabited by 20 somethings who you wonder why they are there because they look terrific and pretty much are done. It took several months to realize that those people are there to work-out and focus on their results and their own body issues. I'm not saying I take my shirt off like some of the other 40+'s at the box but I don't feel bad about turning around to wipe the sweat off my face with my shirt. I don't feel bad anymore because by going to the gym for (almost) consistently for a year now, I'm able to lift heavier weights, do more reps and last just a little longer than the 20-somethings. It is that mental pride in the little progress that gave me the confidence to take that little step.

Stick with it, you'll get there in you're own time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i feel that 99% of the worlds population hate how their body looks.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    honestly... I just don't care what any one else thinks. Why would a stranger's opinion of me matter? I wouldn't even care if a close friend or relative questioned how my body looks.

I'm lacking in whatever it is that makes people self-conscious.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger issue at a gym is that no one is going to notice you at all. Virtually everyone is in their own little world or with the person or small group they came to work out with. If you catch someone laughing, look for an earbud, they are on the phone or listening to the radio.
    If people do talk to you it will be to support you has been my experience. I know I have some of the same self talk you are describing, but when I get past it and realize it is just about me I feel so much better.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    Actually, one more thing I forgot about. Around 4 weeks ago I DID notice someone, it was a young guy, about early 20's working with a personal trainer, he clearly had problems with his legs and had crutches. The only thing I though was "so here am I moaning internally about my treadmill run, and that guys just getting on with it...get over yourself". The most inspiring people I've seen at gyms are people like that, buff men and women are great don't get me wrong, but I really admire commitment like that more.

Yep, kid in his 20's at my gym in a wheel chair, lost use of legs in a motorcycle accident. Really gets after it.
  • Kierelle
    Kierelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had the same fears when I get into my swimsuit and when I worked out at the gym. I realized that no one cared what I look like at the gym. Some of the most fit people in the gym came up to see if I needed help or a spotter on certain equipment when they realized I was alone. When you're at the gym most every one there is for the same reason, to get in better shape. Now instead of wearing clothes to hide in and over heating because of it, I wear tanks and a pair of shorts/leggings. I've been complimented on my outfits and people encouraged me because they've noticed the progress I've made. You may actually find a support system at the gym of people who had the same fears that you did. :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Once I am skinny, then yes, I will happily swim and work out in front of other humans. Until then, I can't summon up the courage to have my fat on display for exercising.
    Here's the thing...the self-esteem issues don't automatically resolve when you've lost the weight. They're not really linked to your current weight; you just think they are. Either they get fixed because you invest the time and emotional resources to fix them, or they never go away. It's more efficient to fix them now, while you're also working on your physical self, but you can wait until after you've lost the weight to work on them if you want to.

• vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I won't work out in front of anyone! If my boyfriend of 6 years who btw lives with me walks in on me i will stop mid crunch lol. It's something i should be proud of and not ashamed i get it but i still get really self conscious