Ketogenic Diet

Options
Hello,

I am having a hard time finding foods that are high in either protein and fat, while also low in carbs. Any suggestions?

Replies

• tiffdiaz1490
    tiffdiaz1490 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Veggies specifically!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Protein: Beef, chicken, fish, eggs
    Fat: Olive Oil, grass fed butter, beef tallow, lard
    Veggies - salad veggies and green leafy vegetables are best.
  • tiffdiaz1490
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Based on height and weight I'm only supposed to eat about 25 grams of carbs. A lot of the veggies I enjoy eating put me well above 25 grams by the end of the day. I think I have to do some more research to really understand this Ketogenic diet.
  • tiffdiaz1490
    Options
    I believe I am supposed to be focusing more on NetCarbs and factoring fiber...hmmm
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Kerogenic pdiet is not required to lose weight. If you want to eat the veggies that you love, there is no reason not to (unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that requires it).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Google found this list: https://www.verywell.com/low-carb-vegetables-list-2242530

I believe a lot of people go off of net carbs, but someone posted recently that net carbs don't matter and it's total carbs, so I have no idea...

You might get better info here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • turner1692
    turner1692 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been eating keto for about a month now. You won't find veggies themselves to be high in protein or fat. But I regularly eat leafy vegetables or salad, zucchini, and frozen veggies (broccoli/cauliflower or stir fry mixes).
    As long as you avoid starchy vegetables (most root veggies like potatoes, carrots, etc), and count the net carbs you should be alright.
    Pair these with your protein and fat, and you're good to go. If you eat a piece of meat like steak or chicken thighs, usually a lot of your fat will also be taken care of. For salad, use a fatty dressing, and throw in some eggs, tuna, chicken, etc for protein.
  • tiffdiaz1490
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I was just worried I wouldn't get enough fiber..however I am going to start focusing on net carbs.
  • Kristine13826
    Kristine13826 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to Ketogenic and am looking for diet buddies!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about fibre too much. It seems to be most beneficial to diets higher in carbs. Once many carbs are cut out (I'm thinking refined carbs and sugars) then fibre becomes much less important or needed.

If you are not vegetarian, consider getting the bulk of your protein and fats from meats, seafood, full fat dairy (cheese, sour cream, butter, whipping cream) and such. Nuts, seeds, and avocado are healthy fats and some protein. Beans are quite starchy so you will need to limit those in a ketogenic diet.

As for veggies, green leafy ones are wonderful. I eat a lot of celery, cucmbers and peppers. I also like snap peas and green beans.

Root veggies are often highest in carbs. Grains too are high in carbs, and some grains get lumped in with veggies - specifically corn.