Which supplements do I need ?

Options
So I am working out.but I know for a fact I don't take enough vitamins also zinc and magnesium. But else do you recommend, I am trying to lose weight too.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, you need a consistent calorie deficit.

It's always best to aim for sufficient nutrition through food. If you can't get enough and blood tests have showed deficiencies, take the supplements your doctor recommends you.
  • apennas
    apennas Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Okay so you wouldn't recommend just buying right out a number if different tablets or whatever. Ask my doctor about it first?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Definitely.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    apennas wrote: »
    Okay so you wouldn't recommend just buying right out a number if different tablets or whatever. Ask my doctor about it first?

It's a much better idea to talk to your doctor... otherwise you are very likely just creating very expensive urine and not necessarily helping your body much.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The best supplement for weightloss is called Dietcardio. It's free, has been around forever, and isn't illegal yet. Basically, just make sure your micronutrient intake is on point while running a caloric deficit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    And you right for asking the question.. Sometime we may take something trying to prevent or cure, but that might be causing something else.. The course of action when in doubt always ask your doctor. Regular checkups, diet and exercise should do the trick!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What macros and micros are you short on and unable to get from food? Answer that question and you have your answer.
  • apennas
    Options
    Thank you guys but I see alot of people taking all sorts of tablets and powders. Always ask myself if this is something I need to do to. If I'm missing something. For example I have omega 3 twice a day and have done since I was young.
  • spinderellaj
    spinderellaj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I take folate, magnesium malate, a multi, and biotin. I doubt any of it helps with weight loss.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thank you guys but I see alot of people taking all sorts of tablets and powders. Always ask myself if this is something I need to do to. If I'm missing something. For example I have omega 3 twice a day and have done since I was young.

Have you had blood work done that indicates you have a deficiency in something? That would be the only reason you'd need tablets, etc... Otherwise, the idea of a supplement like protein powder is to get nutrients that you aren't getting from food. If you don't have these issues, supplements aren't really necessary in terms of weight loss.
  • jordiblu
    jordiblu Posts: 145 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I take magnesium, probiotics (my own brand also has vitamins A,B,C,D,E), digestive enzymes, omega fish oil, glutathione, coq10
    I stay far away from powders and bars etc they are processed junk
    Eat whole foods a lot of healthy fats (avocado)l etc) eggs chicken leafy greens quinoa etc
  • brasda91
    brasda91 Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So I am working out, but I know for a fact I don't take enough vitamins also zinc and magnesium. But else do you recommend, I am trying to lose weight too.

A lot of misconceptions are being thrown at you regarding supplements. You are correct in looking at supplements. The food we eat is so processed today, that the best way to get the nutrients we lack, is through supplementation. What you are looking to do is provide a balance in your life, between eating "healthier", getting plenty of sleep, exercise and supplements. There are several products that can assist you in a healthy lifestyle.
  • N1keS0cc8rRunne7
    N1keS0cc8rRunne7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I take folate, magnesium malate, a multi, and biotin. I doubt any of it helps with weight loss.

Nah...not at all...Adderall XR definitely does!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

That's because a lot of people fall victim to all the hype and woo in the health/nutrition industry which convinces them that they "need" these things when they really don't. The whole industry is basically a multi-billion dollar fraud machine.

If you want an unbiased, scientific assessment of a particular supplement, go to examine.com and look it up rather than relying on advertising from supplement companies.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    brasda91 wrote: »
    So I am working out, but I know for a fact I don't take enough vitamins also zinc and magnesium. But else do you recommend, I am trying to lose weight too.

A lot of misconceptions are being thrown at you regarding supplements. You are correct in looking at supplements. The food we eat is so processed today, that the best way to get the nutrients we lack, is through supplementation. What you are looking to do is provide a balance in your life, between eating "healthier", getting plenty of sleep, exercise and supplements. There are several products that can assist you in a healthy lifestyle.

Please be careful of any pitch like this. Asking for a PM so they can give you more details is often code for selling you something or giving suggestions that would be against the ToS on the forums.

Seconded. Obvious sales pitch.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Why not educate the rest of us here on our misconceptions then? If the information that is being provided is incorrect, why not let everyone know why? Otherwise, this sounds a lot like sales pitch..just sayin'..
  • kommodevaran
    Options

So I get it you are selling "unprocessed" supplements? And the obvious solution is not cooking more from scratch?

OP, steer clear.
  • apennas
    Options
    Well, that was great guys, thanks for telling me to stay clear of this salesman. I understand that the industry is a fraud machine. So I should just rely on getting all the nutrients I need from food. However, my biggest problem is that I often (try not) eat processed food. So I know I am missing out on stuff. For example, I don't remember the last time I had milk apart from in my cappuccino every morning. Maybe calcium is what I'm missing. Another thing, I get cramps when working out.. or more often I get the "pins and needles". Can this be because of a lack of vitamins, nutrients etc?

All of you are great for the help.. not the sales guy, though. Thanks!