Oh my... Help

Options
I started in April and have lost about 54 pounds..... with diet and exercise... serious about it... because the Dr. scared me.....I have lost more than he requested in the 6 months.. sooooo I indulged Thanksgiving through Christmas.... just am having a hard time getting back to the exercise program I had before.... my hours at work changed... we now work 9 hour days with every other Friday off (9/80 program). I am single parent, and in order to make ends meet, I need to work an hour overtime almost everyday, making my work day from 7:30 - 6:00. By the time I get home and cook dinner, it is 8:00 then cleanup about 15 minuites and am tired and don't feel like exercising for an hour, what the Dr. suggested and I had been doing.... by that time it would be 9:30 with no relaxation time.....and close to time to go to bed to get up at 5:00 and do it all again.... any suggestions?? I am discouraged and afraid that I will gain the weight back with these changes.

Replies

• lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I started in April and have lost about 54 pounds..... with diet and exercise... serious about it... because the Dr. scared me.....I have lost more than he requested in the 6 months.. sooooo I indulged Thanksgiving through Christmas.... just am having a hard time getting back to the exercise program I had before.... my hours at work changed... we now work 9 hour days with every other Friday off (9/80 program). I am single parent, and in order to make ends meet, I need to work an hour overtime almost everyday, making my work day from 7:30 - 6:00. By the time I get home and cook dinner, it is 8:00 then cleanup about 15 minuites and am tired and don't feel like exercising for an hour, what the Dr. suggested and I had been doing.... by that time it would be 9:30 with no relaxation time.....and close to time to go to bed to get up at 5:00 and do it all again.... any suggestions?? I am discouraged and afraid that I will gain the weight back with these changes.
  • mannworley
    mannworley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to just get back into a regular routine... don't worry about the "60 minutes every day" at this point. Just start with ten minutes twice a day. Do that for a few weeks and then add five minutes to one or the other. On your off days, do the 60 minutes. The most important thing is to get back into the routine. Research shows that several 10 minute episodes are as effective as one longer one. Can you get away at lunch to walk briskly around the block? Can you do ten minutes in the morning? Just do ten minutes at the end of the day and then some stretching to relax.
    Good luck!
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    Is it possible to incorporate exercise into your day? Perhaps once an hour, you set an alarm to walk stairs for 5 minutes. At the end of the day you will have walked stairs for 45 minutes. On your lunch you can go for a brisk walk. At your desk there are exercises you can do while working as well to target your arms, legs and abs.
  • tidwelljw
    tidwelljw Posts: 146
    Options
    Congrats first!!! You've already lost 54 pounds, that's awesome! I know you said that you put some back on around the holidays(it's hard not to), but how much are we talking about? The good thing is that since you have already lost a tremendous amount of weight you know what it takes to achieve your goals and you're obviously not afraid to change old habits. With that said, with a crazy and hectic schedule you need to make sure that set aside some time for your self and your child. One thing I find works for me is when you know that you not going to have the time to commit to a workout like you wish that you could, maybe do a few mins. in the morning before you start your day. If you can squeeze in maybe 10 mins first thing in the morning that help set your metabolism on fire for the rest of the day. I think if you can do just a few mins in the morning and a few at night and really watch what you eat through out the day, that should help you maintain what you have. Best of luck to you, just keep at it!!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You have done SO amazingly well! Congratulations on your weight loss to date. You can get back on track even with the changes in schedule and such... What kind of work do you do? Are you at a desk? Look online for desk exercises - there are several. Are you standing most of the day? Wear ankle weights and do leg lifts thoughout the day... walk during breaks and/or lunch... fit in just a few minutes before and/or after work... there are ways to get your exercise without having to eat up a whole hour at one time. Even 20 minutes of exercise is better than nothing. You can do this, for your health, for your family. We all need to be healthy, and with some perserverence we can! Be strong, live long!!:bigsmile:
  • jdlove
    jdlove Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you don't own a crock pot run out and purchase one. There are some great recipes for crock pot cooking. You can toss the ingredients into it in the morning, plug it in and Viola! dinner is ready when you get home and you aren't spending the whole evening in the kitchen. You can even get disposable liners for them which will greatly reduce the clean up time. No pots and pans to wash - what could be better. This should free up time to exercise and still have time to relax.
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys.... guess I know what I need to do.... like everyone here... but just need to hear it and know that someone cares to turn it around..... remarkly I haven't gained any pounds,... but can tell the difference in the toning of my body from not exercising...... and that is what concerns me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT.....I really needed it right now!!!!!
  • tonie
    tonie Posts: 6
    Options
    You go girl!! A 54lb loss is incredible. You will do well. Getting on a schedule is key. Sounds like you have the motivation. Start with just a few minutes in the morning before you even leave the house. Run in place, go out for a short walk. I know, dark, dark dark. But that time in the morning is a blessing. Time alone with you and your thoughts Perfect place to put your day in order. Good luck, and keep going. You rock!!! :glasses: