best spiralizer?

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I keep seeing all these recipes for zucchini noodles.

What is the best device to buy? I'm defining "best" as the most economical (cheapest) that still works. I don't want to spend $100 on another useless thing that sits in a drawer.

I own the handheld vegetable peeler but felt like I threw away a lot of the vegetable because it was too tough to cut.

Can I just use the grater in my food processor? I have used it to shred cheese & julienne carrots.

Replies

• Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried a bunch of different options, so I can't say which is "best". I have a Paderno Spiralizer that I'm very happy with - it comes apart for cleaning, it folds together for tidy storage and it has a compartment to hold multiple spiralizer blades.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The paderno for sure. It costs $30 on amazon and it has lasted me over four years.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I 3rd the paderno....the only thing is that it is a little bigger so it is going to take up counter space or storage space. I've never tried just using the shreddy thing on my food processor, because I like the long noodly strands. I do use the food processor shredder blade for coleslaw and it would be ok if you were making like a zuchini fritter or a patty, but it isn't going to make anything noodle-like. The paderno is also sturdy enough that you can use it with potatoes. mmmm....potatoes.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've been eyeing up the OXO tabletop spiralizer. I think it's comparable to the Paderno, but people seem to really like the larger suction cup and the fact that the blades each have individual cases.

I have a this handheld one for now. But I use it all the time & while it handles zucchini with no problem, it won't do other vegetables, so now I am looking to upgrade.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    I've been eyeing up the OXO tabletop spiralizer. I think it's comparable to the Paderno, but people seem to really like the larger suction cup and the fact that the blades each have individual cases.

I have a this handheld one for now. But I use it all the time & while it handles zucchini with no problem, it won't do other vegetables, so now I am looking to upgrade.

I have that handheld one as well, but I don't like it very much. I actually just use a vegetable peeler and do "shreds" instead of "noodles". It's really the same thing, and fewer kitchen items needed.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll try the shreds 1st & see how I like that.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Paderno here..I bought one a little cheaper from the Amazon warehouse deals, and am very happy with it so far.
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I got a vegitti (spelling?) from Tractor Supply (of all places) on clearance for $6 and i LOVE it. Makes thick and thin noodles and it is super easy to clean. Hand held, in between the size of a can and a 20oz bottle of soda in size
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Another Paderno fan here. Comes with three blade attachments for different size noodles. I use mine at least twice a week.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I got a vegitti (spelling?) from Tractor Supply (of all places) on clearance for $6 and i LOVE it. Makes thick and thin noodles and it is super easy to clean. Hand held, in between the size of a can and a 20oz bottle of soda in size

I got one something like this from as "As Seen on TV Store". Its small, cheap and works. How often are you going to use it? Is it worth it, both in cost and shelf space, to get anything bigger/more expensive?
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just use the Veghetti. It works well and isn't huge
  • mirandagod77
    mirandagod77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love my Vegetti! Tried the electric Hamilton Beach and it was so finicky, I brought it back and reverted back to my Veggetti.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I have this one and it works just fine, I think it was like $12 on Amazon.
    51QxmKsJ9zL._SL250_1.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have the Paderno but I rarely use it because I'm too lazy to get it out of storage, use it, dismantle it, clean the parts, put it together then put it away. Whenever I plan to use it I end up opting for the julienne peeler, which can actually make thinner "noodles" that cook faster. I only use the Paderno as a "curly fry machine" and I don't have these often because of calories.