Cabbage soup diet anyone??

So I decided I would like to try the cabbage soup diet. I know it's not good for long term weight loss and all and all the negative things of a crash diet but I really wanna lose the 2kg I gained from my binge eating since 3 months ago and also to jump start a healthy diet again because I have been eating really badly recently. Any comments on people that have done this diet before!!

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    I personally don't understand why people think cabbage soup is so awful, I love the stuff and since I have this reminder I can eat this while my husband is gone on his 2 week vacation --- This is my version of the Cabbage Soup and it's much healthier and tastier than the Old one: Substitute what veggies you like or take out the ones you don't

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25
    calories per serving: 93
    serving size: 1Cup

20 Ingredients
    Use a very large pot or cut ingredients in half.

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw
    547.00 g, Squash - Summer, all varieties, raw (this time of year you can use winter squash, Delecta would be great for this recipe as you don't have to peel it.

401.00 g, Spinach - Canned, drained solids or use fresh
    232.00 g, Mushrooms - Raw
    1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw
    244.00 g, Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    1.00 tbsp(s), Spices - Oregano, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Spices - Garlic powder
    1.00 tbsp, leaves, Spices - Basil, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Chives - Freeze-dried
    2.00 tsp(s), Spices - Pepper, black
    8.00 cup, 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth-b
    8.00 cup (8 fl oz), Water
    475.00 g, Cut Green Beans - Canned or fresh ♥
    2.00 container (1 4/5 cup (122g) ea.), Black Beans
    12.00 oz, Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g 5 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Oh God. I did that one back in the '90's. It gave me diarrhea so bad that I had to go to the ER for fluids. Unless you're looking for electrolyte imbalance, don't do this one.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Cabbage soup every once in a while is great and delicious. Cabbage soup everyday is not something I'd recommend.
    Stock up on toilet paper, air freshener and Beano.

This sums it up nicely. Also, you may need perfume/body spray cause you're going to stink. Literally.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited September 2016
    My parents did the diet when I was a kid. We had so much cabbage soup day after day. The house reeked. It was pretty horrible. It didn't really help them lose weight long term.
    You lose weight by reducing your calorie intake or increasing your calorie burn until you have a deficit. You could eat any food that fits your calorie deficit. You don't have to jumpstart anything. You should just eat in a sustainable way.
    Cabbage soup itself isn't terrible for you but the diet isn't magic. It is just a very low calorie diet. I like soup. There are lots of great soups. Lentil soup is also pretty low calorie and filling. Eat lots of foods. Don't drop below 1200 calories.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Not a sustainable way to go about losing weight long term. May even trigger a binge cycle. No bueno.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand why people think cabbage soup is so awful, I love the stuff and since I have this reminder I can eat this while my husband is gone on his 2 week vacation --- This is my version of the Cabbage Soup and it's much healthier and tastier than the Old one: Substitute what veggies you like or take out the ones you don't

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25

20 Ingredients

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw
    547.00 g, Squash - Summer, all varieties, raw (this time of year you can use winter squash, Delecta would be great for this recipe as you don't have to peel it.

1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

Nobody is knocking the soup. It's the overly restrictive low calorie diet that goes along with it.....
    Day 1: any fruit except bananas
    Day 2: vegetables but no fruit
    Day 3: fruits and vegetables
    Day 4: bananas and milk?!?!
    Day 5: beef and tomatoes
    All along with as much cabbage soup as you like, you lucky person...
    You get the idea.

I have never done the "Diet" like that, I was just saying that Cabbage Soup in itself is not horrible, tasteless, and or non nutritious
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited September 2016
    Eating a healthy diet doesn't mean you have to start out by punishing yourself for your past food "transgressions". We all want to get the weight off...that's why we're here. But teach yourself how to do it right this time, and you could keep it off for life.
    You've already said you know the effects of crash dieting are negative and it's not good as a long term strategy, so why the decision to do it anyway? I'm not following the logic if you're doing something that's counterproductive to what your true goal is..how do you "jump start" a healthy diet by starting off by doing something you even described as unhealthy (in so many words)?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Cabbage soup diet - is that thing still doing the rounds? I thought it died out in the '80s?

I was actually thinking 70s ... it's a blast from the past!
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    I don't do the cabbage soup "diet" -- However, I love a spicy cabbage soup during the winter. Emphasis on the spicy. My husband and I both love it. I will make a big pot of it and we will have it for lunches for that week - just a part of my prep. We DO eat other normal things during that week also. When it is cooked down nicely and blended with my immersion, we don't have much of the, um, aftereffects that go along with doing it as a diet. I use low sodium chicken broth, 2 kinds of salsas (red & green), carrots, red/yellow/green bell peppers, celery and 1/2 head of cabbage. Simmer that all for 30 minutes and blend the heck out of it. One of our favorite soups.

I am along the same lines of other posters -- "jump starts" only serve to make stumbling blocks. Slow and steady wins this race. I, too, have eaten horribly for most of the summer (many many stresses). I know this, I see it, I feel it and now, it is time to be mindful of what is going in my mouth. No punishment. Cannot go back and undo the damage I did - just go forward being smarter.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25

20 Ingredients

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw

1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

The soup may be fine as a snack or side but the diet is the issue. Fad diets teach you nothing about proper nutrition and exercise which are the keys to maintaining long-term. All diets will lose weight, and this one will lose a lot of that in water and muscle, but what happens after is far more important and unhealthy weight loss is never good unless you are so obese that the alternatives are worse.

Oh, and that soup you list does look really good.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25

20 Ingredients

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw

1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

Nobody is knocking the soup. It's the overly restrictive low calorie diet that goes along with it.....
    Day 1: any fruit except bananas
    Day 2: vegetables but no fruit
    Day 3: fruits and vegetables
    Day 4: bananas and milk?!?!
    Day 5: beef and tomatoes
    All along with as much cabbage soup as you like, you lucky person...
    You get the idea.

I have never done the "Diet" like that, I was just saying that Cabbage Soup in itself is not horrible, tasteless, and or non nutritious

I don't think anyone was saying that. Just that the cabbage soup diet was not a great idea.
    I happen to love cabbage soup.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    I do like and eat cabbage soup, but in moderation. :)

Punishing yourself for eating badly and binging by restricting yourself to mostly cabbage soup is not what I would recommend in your quest to jumpstart healthy eating.

If you already have a tendency to binge, eating so much cabbage soup sounds like a great way to dump you right back into a binge cycle, even if you make it through the 7 days.

Maybe a less extreme jumpstart for your healthy eating would be to prepare a variety of filling and nutritious soups and start eating them for lunch (or even breakfast, hot soup is surprisingly yummy as a cold-weather breakfast option). Split pea, beef and barley, cabbage, ham and bean, etc. You could freeze them in individual portions and have easy meals whenever you like.

If you are binging, there is something about what you are doing that is not sustainable. Figuring that out is the hard work that needs to happen. Is your definition of healthy too restrictive? Are you using food to blunt emotions? Are your macros and micros in order? The cabbage soup diet is only a distraction to take your mind off the real problem and real work that need to be done.
This discussion has been closed.