Cabbage soup diet anyone??

Options

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand why people think cabbage soup is so awful, I love the stuff and since I have this reminder I can eat this while my husband is gone on his 2 week vacation --- This is my version of the Cabbage Soup and it's much healthier and tastier than the Old one: Substitute what veggies you like or take out the ones you don't

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25
    calories per serving: 93
    serving size: 1Cup

20 Ingredients
    Use a very large pot or cut ingredients in half.

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw
    547.00 g, Squash - Summer, all varieties, raw (this time of year you can use winter squash, Delecta would be great for this recipe as you don't have to peel it.

401.00 g, Spinach - Canned, drained solids or use fresh
    232.00 g, Mushrooms - Raw
    1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw
    244.00 g, Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    1.00 tbsp(s), Spices - Oregano, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Spices - Garlic powder
    1.00 tbsp, leaves, Spices - Basil, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Chives - Freeze-dried
    2.00 tsp(s), Spices - Pepper, black
    8.00 cup, 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth-b
    8.00 cup (8 fl oz), Water
    475.00 g, Cut Green Beans - Canned or fresh ♥
    2.00 container (1 4/5 cup (122g) ea.), Black Beans
    12.00 oz, Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g 5 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

That soup sounds delicious. I would definitely try that...just not all day for several days, though. :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the sentiment that you don't "jumpstart" healthy eating except by eating healthy.

Both the binging and the restricting are unhealthy, and in fact they're the same unhealthy eating pattern, just flip sides of the same coin. You are going to have to put both behind you if you are going to move on and be healthy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I personally don't understand why people think cabbage soup is so awful, I love the stuff and since I have this reminder I can eat this while my husband is gone on his 2 week vacation --- This is my version of the Cabbage Soup and it's much healthier and tastier than the Old one: Substitute what veggies you like or take out the ones you don't

Cabbage Soup
    Servings 25
    calories per serving: 93
    serving size: 1Cup

20 Ingredients
    Use a very large pot or cut ingredients in half.

1.00 tbsp, Coconut Oil
    1.00 tbsp, Olive Oil
    437.00 g, Carrots - Raw
    171.00 g, Celery - Raw
    547.00 g, Squash - Summer, all varieties, raw (this time of year you can use winter squash, Delecta would be great for this recipe as you don't have to peel it.

401.00 g, Spinach - Canned, drained solids or use fresh
    232.00 g, Mushrooms - Raw
    1028.00 g, Cabbage - Raw
    214.00 g, Onions - Raw
    244.00 g, Peppers - Sweet, green, raw
    1.00 tbsp(s), Spices - Oregano, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Spices - Garlic powder
    1.00 tbsp, leaves, Spices - Basil, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Chives - Freeze-dried
    2.00 tsp(s), Spices - Pepper, black
    8.00 cup, 33% Less Sodium Chicken Broth-b
    8.00 cup (8 fl oz), Water
    475.00 g, Cut Green Beans - Canned or fresh ♥
    2.00 container (1 4/5 cup (122g) ea.), Black Beans
    12.00 oz, Chicken Breasts Boneless Skinless

Nutrition Facts
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 8 mg 3 %
    Sodium 398 mg 17 %
    Potassium 369 mg 11 %
    Total Carbohydrate 14 g 5 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 8 g 16 %
    Vitamin A 78 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 10 %

Nobody is knocking the soup. It's the overly restrictive low calorie diet that goes along with it.....
    Day 1: any fruit except bananas
    Day 2: vegetables but no fruit
    Day 3: fruits and vegetables
    Day 4: bananas and milk?!?!
    Day 5: beef and tomatoes
    All along with as much cabbage soup as you like, you lucky person...
    You get the idea.

I have never done the "Diet" like that, I was just saying that Cabbage Soup in itself is not horrible, tasteless, and or non nutritious

Not seeing where anyone said it was.
  • kanaada
    kanaada Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I thank all of you for ur comments and feedback it's just that I'm so tired of my binges and no matter what I do be it not restricting my food, eating intuitively, I still end up overeating!!! I really wanna get rid of this 2kg I gained from overeating I am really depressed. I gave myself 3monrhs to slowly lose this 2kg but it did not work at all that's why I'm resorting to wanting to try this crash diet. Hope my post isn't offensive or seem ignorant to any of y'all :(
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not sure about everyone else - speaking only for myself - I totally understand where you are coming from. Have done, am doing, will still be doing the same thing of trying daily to not overeat and getting super depressed when I seem to have no control. So, I have thought about crashing but know in myself it is not a good idea. It sets up a vicious circle. So, as of yesterday, and then again today I am taking it one day at a time. Being super aware of calories and weighing, measuring and logging every single morsel. The struggle is very real. Being old, short, with autoimmune issues - it seems if I go over 1200 calories (and that isn't much food!) I gain weight. BUT, we can do this. I urge both of us to be mindful, log it, walk it, sweat it out and be hyper vigilant about our health! We Can do this!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Oh God how I hate that soup! That was the go to diet my mom would make me do when I was a teenager. I can still remember the smell and it makes me gag. Whatever it made me lose in the week, I'd gain it back in the next couple days after it was done. And I'd get scolded if I didn't lose the supposed 10 lbs it says you lose.

Machka9 wrote: »
    Cabbage soup diet - is that thing still doing the rounds? I thought it died out in the '80s?

I was actually thinking 70s ... it's a blast from the past!

Wow... I did this one during the 90s. :confounded:
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    My mom loves cabbage soup, though she's very simplistic with how she makes it. Usually she just adds diced jalapeno peppers to it, a little salt and some pepper, then leaves the rest of the flavoring options to the ones grabbing a bowl [I usually add red pepper flakes to mine].

Do note however that cabbage is high in potassium, for those on a potassium-restrictive diet. It's not very high [250mg/cup] so like everything else, moderation is key.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    kanaada wrote: »
    Hi everyone I thank all of you for ur comments and feedback it's just that I'm so tired of my binges and no matter what I do be it not restricting my food, eating intuitively, I still end up overeating!!! I really wanna get rid of this 2kg I gained from overeating I am really depressed. I gave myself 3monrhs to slowly lose this 2kg but it did not work at all that's why I'm resorting to wanting to try this crash diet. Hope my post isn't offensive or seem ignorant to any of y'all :(

It's not offensive to anyone here. And it looks like you have been trying many things, and the 3 months you gave yourself to lose 2kg did not work because? This part of your post seems to be something realistic and achievable?

You are here on MFP so did this fail you?

Perhaps you can sit down and formulate a plan to do that again instead of resorting to this crazy diet... In all seriousness, jump starting is not a thing and this diet will do nothing for you for when you plan to go back to a "normal" way of life after crash dieting.

The depression or the ill willed feelings you have is where you need to start. I am afraid you will just feel worse on this diet.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Perhaps it's time to get some professional help with your depression and binge eating issues. I think you might benefit from addressing these first before considering a restrictive and punitive method of temporarily taking some weight off that is guaranteed to fail and exacerbate what may be the real source of your food issues.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

I guess it's all relative but you seem to be quite stressed about what is, to most, a pretty small weight gain - 2kg. I know everyone is different but I can tell you that I tend to vary by about 1 -1.5kg on a daily basis (often depending on the types of food and whether I have drunk alcohol the day before).

Have a think about that 2kg and realise that you do not need to take drastic action to lose it - you just need to consistently eat at a slight calorific deficit. And that brings me to my next point: Your food diary seems to be:
    1. Sporadic
    2. Contain many generic items
    3. Centre around shop bought, pre-packaged items

Fixing 1 and 2 will improve your logging and give you a better chance of hitting your weight goal. Reducing the number of pre-packaged foods MAY help you to feel fuller on less food and therefore help with consistency.

Please do not get me wrong here: I am not saying that unprocessed, "clean", raw, wholefood, or any of that type of stuff is necessary for weight loss, may people have proved otherwise, but that meals which centre around single ingredient foods with a decent balance or protein, carbohydrate, and fat CAN OFTEN be more filling and so help out dieters - not to mention that a diet of this type is often healthier than one which is composed of mainly pre-made meals.

• pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would not bother with the diet, it seems too contrived - but the idea of cabbage soup is a great one.

I made a week's worth last month, not really following the recipe but throwing in onions, garlic, lots of cabbage and pepper. I also added a tin of low-fat coconut milk, tomato puree and chili (no oil, obvs) to make a sort of Caribbean pepperpot. It was lovely but I was beginning to get fed up with cabbage by the end of the week!

In general soup is a good option for lunch/dinner as long as you pick the right vegetables ... the ones very low in calories ... as you can have quite a bit and feel full.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Broth-based vegetable soups eaten at the start of a meal can help you feel full, and they're generally pretty nutritious. I'm not really for the 'Cabbage Soup Diet,' but I do think it can be a decent addition to a meal - hearty, warming, and tasty for very few calories.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I love a good, hearty homemade soup, especially in the winter. Warming, nutritious and delicious. I've often made a dinner of it with just a side of some crusty bread and cheese.

But cabbage soup and nothing else for days on end? Not a snowball's chance in hell. :)

• futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    200_d.webp
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

I guess it's all relative but you seem to be quite stressed about what is, to most, a pretty small weight gain - 2kg. I know everyone is different but I can tell you that I tend to vary by about 1 -1.5kg on a daily basis (often depending on the types of food and whether I have drunk alcohol the day before).

Have a think about that 2kg and realise that you do not need to take drastic action to lose it - you just need to consistently eat at a slight calorific deficit.

I agree ... I fluctuate up and down 2 kg all the time.

Take this week for example, I'm sitting at home recovering (unexpectedly) from something that looks suspiciously like German measles (yes, even my Dr thinks it's German measles or something closely related) and I've put on 2 kg. I quit logging about a week ago because I was too sick to care, and just ate whatever I was hungry for ... and thus I gained a bit of weight. I will start logging again next week and should lose that 2 kg.

These things happen.

And while a good soup is an excellent choice ... it's probably not something to eat all day every day.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Broth-based vegetable soups eaten at the start of a meal can help you feel full, and they're generally pretty nutritious. I'm not really for the 'Cabbage Soup Diet,' but I do think it can be a decent addition to a meal - hearty, warming, and tasty for very few calories.

True, it can work for a short period of time, but the soup really only works on the stomach's stretch receptors for feeling full and after awhile hunger will override this if you are on such a restricted diet. For a less restrictive diet it would probably work much better.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Hard truth here. If you were REALLY "tired" of your binges, you won't binge. Fact plain an simple. The reward of binging is MORE IMPORTANT to you that the 2kg you want to lose. When it's the other way around, then it will come off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Broth-based vegetable soups eaten at the start of a meal can help you feel full ...

I've actually discovered that a certain cup-a-soup I can get is only about 60 calories. It is great in the afternoon or late in the evening when I don't have a lot of calories to work with, but just want something ...

• susannekb
    susannekb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about being depressed with your weight, I was in the same place 8 weeks ago. The only jeans that I fit into ripped, I bent down to pick up something off the ground and burst my shorts, I looked & felt like crap. So I decided to eat right but not deny myself anything. Eating only one thing is not good for you - you need a variety to stop you from raiding the cookie jar or the chocolate press. I have now lost 5.5kg in 8 weeks and still eat what I want within my calorie goal. You can easily loose 2kg without going on a mad diet, just be honest with yourself and track what you eat.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Unfortunately it sounds like you are in the restrict-binge cycle and further restriction will inevitably lead to more binging
This discussion has been closed.