Which supplements do I need ?

2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Calcium is in lots of things other than milk. Processed foods also contain vitamins and minerals. If you are really concerned get a blood test to check for deficiencies.

Where do you get pins and needles? If it's your feet it can be caused by your shoelaces being too tight or your shoes not being the proper fit.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. And stay well hydrated.
  • yogarocky
    yogarocky Posts: 2 Member
    apennas wrote: »
    Well, that was great guys, thanks for telling me to stay clear of this salesman. I understand that the industry is a fraud machine. So I should just rely on getting all the nutrients I need from food. However, my biggest problem is that I often (try not) eat processed food. So I know I am missing out on stuff. For example, I don't remember the last time I had milk apart from in my cappuccino every morning. Maybe calcium is what I'm missing. Another thing, I get cramps when working out.. or more often I get the "pins and needles". Can this be because of a lack of vitamins, nutrients etc?

All of you are great for the help.. not the sales guy, though. Thanks!

Are you drinking plenty of water throughout the day? I sometimes get cramps when I haven't had enough water...that could be the case.
  • apennas
    apennas Posts: 21 Member
    Drinking water.. yes sometimes a lot, sometimes not enough. I guess the correct balance would be something in the region of 3Liters a day?

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    richln wrote: »
    Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. And stay well hydrated.

Chunky Monkey counts as fruit, right?

• apennas
    apennas Posts: 21 Member
    Calcium is in lots of things other than milk. Processed foods also contain vitamins and minerals. If you are really concerned get a blood test to check for deficiencies.

Where do you get pins and needles? If it's your feet it can be caused by your shoelaces being too tight or your shoes not being the proper fit.

I think the blood test would be best, a lot of people are suggesting it. It is good to know what I am missing or having to much of!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,110 Member
    Definitely get the blood test and see if you need to even take anything. Be sure to ask for B-12 levels. Low B-12 can cause pins and needles feelings and unexplained fatigue. Calcium is also something women need more of, but your doctor can let you know. I eat processed foods all the time and only take B-12 injections. But that is because I don't process B-12 not because I don't get enough through my diet.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Definitely get the blood test and see if you need to even take anything. Be sure to ask for B-12 levels. Low B-12 can cause pins and needles feelings and unexplained fatigue. Calcium is also something women need more of, but your doctor can let you know. I eat processed foods all the time and only take B-12 injections. But that is because I don't process B-12 not because I don't get enough through my diet.

I think op is male, but anyways it's always better to get your nutrients from food if you can before supplementing. If you have malabsorption or can't process it that's a good reason ,but if you are otherwise healthy getting it through your food is the best way.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    You absolutely do not need supplements to lose weight or build muscle. You can do it with just food and exercise. I do think a multi vitamin can be a good addition.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Definitely consult your doctor.

I have a problem with chronic vit D deficiency that is being addressed through supplements. It took a simple blood test to figure it out! Sometimes you can have symptoms of a deficiency. I was sent to a rheumatologist because I was experiencing such horrible joint and bone pain. She was the first person who thought to run the vit. D test. Ding ding ding! I now take 50,000 IU weekly and am monitored yearly now that my levels are under control.

I'm very glad you'll be consulting a doctor!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,110 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I think op is male, but anyways it's always better to get your nutrients from food if you can before supplementing. If you have malabsorption or can't process it that's a good reason ,but if you are otherwise healthy getting it through your food is the best way.

I should have noticed that. I guess that's what I get for reading the forums on my phone while I'm walking.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    apennas wrote: »
    Another thing, I get cramps when working out.. or more often I get the "pins and needles". Can this be because of a lack of vitamins, nutrients etc?

Cramping and pins and needles with working out are often the result of not getting enough magnesium. If you can't eat foods high enough in mag then supplementation should be done with a 1:1 ratio of calcium and magnesium. Vitamins and minerals *usually* absorb better with their companion nutrients. There are different forms of these minerals so you will want to research which ones will work best for you (ie. oxide, malate, chelate, etc). I am specifically avoiding telling you which ones to use b/c I don't need the woo police down my neck. Would just suggest doing some research to see what will work best for you. If you take mag and it works, great. If not, then you should look at other things. I always go for the simplest first b/c that makes the most sense.