Question for weightlifters and body builders?

Options
Ok, my current idea is a 45% protein "2/3 animal and 1/3 plant", 30%fat and 25% carbs. That's 205 to 250 grams of protein, 50 to 75 grams of fat and 75 to 125 grams of carbs. All in 1900 to 2,200 calories, I'm only lifting weights right now"4 times a week 1 to 11/2 hours" and I spend 10 to 12 hours at a desk.
Does that sound like a good plan?

Replies

• Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    A couple of suggestions...

1) Don't count none animal protein. Plant protein is too low quality to count.

2) Your cabs sound too low and protein too high. Remember you need fuel to burn. I suggest switching to something simple and tweak later if you need to (40 carb / 30 protein / 30 fat).

3) The calorie count sounds too low but that depends on how much lean body weight you have. Do you know what your body fat percentage is? Keep in mind that if you are in a weight loss mode you won't eat as much during strength training as if you are in a pure muscle building phase but in general you would at least want to eat your MBR plus an average estimate of your activity level. Try this link for a ballpark of where you should start:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

4) Also, 4 times a week between 60-90 minutes is great. Unless you are a genetically endowed beast you probably will never need to lift more than that in a given week. That is plenty of time for most people to meet or exceed their strength training needs.

Also make sure to pack some greens and other high fiber vegetables into your diet. There a lot of macro nutrients you will need and on a high protein diet you need to keep things "moving". Remember vitamins are an insurance policy, vegetables and fruits and other natural foods are still your main source for vitamins, minerals and other macro nutrients.
  • SpartanTrainer
    Options
    Is there a reason why you are separating protein specifically between animal/plant sources?? Rule of thumb is you only need 1 gram of protein per 1lb. of weight. For your diet and nutritional needs I would seek the counsel of a certified nutritionist. Now it would also help if you mention your goal and go into more details of your workout. Are you trying to get more muscular? Are you trying to lose wgt. ?
  • gog427
    gog427 Posts: 82
    Options
    My fiber is at least 30+ grams and I split up proteins becuase animel complete vs incomplete plant protein that from my shake and nuts. My goal is 180lbs I try to keep carbs and calories low so I don't gain on my waist. Everytime I up calories I gain on inches on my waist makes me feel slow sluggish.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting or bulking? If cutting, then your macros look OK for your rest days.

On your workout days, sandwich your training sessions with some starchy carbs.

Also, be vigilant for signs of overtraining. 4x/week on a calorie deficit can be tough for some people (like me!)