I'm beyond words.

Options
2»

Replies

• trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My bro in law was diagnosed as being HIV positive about 2 years ago. He didnt have a job and could not afford the medication either. When he told his doctor this his doctor told him about some sort of goverment program that he could qualify for that would pay for his medication. He had to go somewhere and fill out the paperwork and that was that... they payed for all of his medication and he is doing amazing. The only downfall is that during cold and flu season he has to avoid everyone like the plague because if he gets sick it takes him like 3 months to get over the common cold.

The point to my post is....
    There are many options out there your cousin needs to speak up and ask questions and if need be seek another doctors opinion... dont just give up.
    I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
  • charmednz
    charmednz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I didnt think that an HIV diagnosis was a death sentence these days. Many people can have a long "normal" life but with a lot of medical intervention, however if HIV has progressed to AIDS thats a different story

Be strong :) Kia Kaha
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    My bro in law was diagnosed as being HIV positive about 2 years ago. He didnt have a job and could not afford the medication either. When he told his doctor this his doctor told him about some sort of goverment program that he could qualify for that would pay for his medication. He had to go somewhere and fill out the paperwork and that was that... they payed for all of his medication and he is doing amazing. The only downfall is that during cold and flu season he has to avoid everyone like the plague because if he gets sick it takes him like 3 months to get over the common cold.

The point to my post is....
    There are many options out there your cousin needs to speak up and ask questions and if need be seek another doctors opinion... dont just give up.
    I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Thank you so much and Thank you for this. I didn't know. I will pass this valuable information onto him ASAP. :flowerforyou:
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I didnt think that an HIV diagnosis was a death sentence these days. Many people can have a long "normal" life but with a lot of medical intervention, however if HIV has progressed to AIDS thats a different story

Be strong :) Kia Kaha

I'm not sure what the exact details are as of yet. I need to find out. I haven't talked to him personally about this. I need too.

Thank you for the positve reinforcement. See, it shows how ignorant I am when it comes to this disease. Again thank you..
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    hospitals all over the place have programs set up for treatment for those without insurance. my cousins found out he was HIV positive when he was applying for the air force at 18. he is still alive and well. he has NO insurance and gets his meds free or at a low cost.
    it will not be easy but treatment is out there.

I hope and pray your family member gets the treatment he needs. I know this news is shocking but people live a lot longer these days with treatment.