Going Vegan

Options
NoLongerBig
NoLongerBig Posts: 10 Member
Should I go Vegan? I know it is the right thing to do because of animal rights, but I'm scared. You're probably asking why I'm scared. Good question. I'm scared to fail. What if o can't do it. I can go without eating red meat, but chicken is my life. I also love cheese but I don't eat it as much because it's not healthy. What do you guys think? Let me know- also let me know some good recipes.

Replies

• AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Personally I'm against it but, it's far too controversial and I can't really be bothered having a full blown debate with anyone tonight so..
    Good luck :)

Just, do your research first!

(Quick edit - I'm against going vegan on 'ethical' grounds, not medical)
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I gotta have my chicken ,pork, beef, and eggs and fish. To each their own but I like my animal products ethical or not
  • ginthebombshellks
    Options
    If you are interested in becoming vegan read or watch Fork's over Knives or Skinny *kitten*. They are really insightful.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    everyone should be vegan

so yes you should be vegan

• Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why not just cut out read meat and slowly cut out other things rather than going cold turkey? (pun intended) Or source the little meat you ear from a local farmer?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    read or watch Fork's over Knives

This has to be the worst advice in the entire thread so far. Watching an unbelievably biased "documentary" on the consumption of animal products is not the right way to approach veganism. For those who would like to go vegan for ethical or moral reasons, go for it, I fully support you, but there is no good, solid argument to be made for health advantages of veganism, so don't go vegan because of that.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    everyone should be vegan

Everyone should live within their means and people should stop murdering each other, but that's not going to happen either...
  • salembambi
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    everyone should be vegan

Everyone should live within their means and people should stop murdering each other, but that's not going to happen either...

wow amazing i didn't know that

you really showed me i guess

i better start eating animal products again since people will keep being murdered and attempting to live within their means anyways
  • 240sx7
    240sx7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You should check out Frank Medrano.
    He's vegan, very strong, and has a lot of good tips for building yourself up in fitness.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    My niece tried to go vegan. It's hard...and expensive.
  • Icheatonmywife
    Icheatonmywife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    no, animals are tasty
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

I was once a vegan.

.... then I remembered that the Taco Cabana was offering their Carnitas Special of the week.

yeah, the whole vegan idea lasted about 20 minutes. *shrug
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Watch some chicken slaughterhouse videos. You'll stop eating chicken if you care about animal rights. Chickens get the worst treatment of all. Debeaked and then throw into wire cages where they go crazy and defecate all over each other.

Sometimes I wonder why I eat that *kitten* but teriyaki bowls are good. Chicken kebab with rice is good.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My niece tried to go vegan. It's hard...and expensive.

The difficulty of it is pretty subjective, but I'd like to point out that you can eat very cheaply as a vegan or very expensively -- it comes down to what you choose to eat. A diet centered on things like vegetables, fruit, grains, and beans will meet nutritional needs and can be very inexpensive. If you choose to buy a lot of fancy vegan products or pre-made things, it can be expensive. But a non-vegan diet with lots of fancy products and pre-made things will be expensive too.

I can eat for under $20 a week as a vegan.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    The successful vegans I know who have stuck with it over the years and with no backsliding are people who have always had a natural aversion to meat and never really liked it, even when they were kids. As adults, you'll hear them say things like "Eeew. Meat is so disgusting. The thought of putting an animal carcass, or anything that comes from an animal, in my mouth makes me want to gag."

I used to think they were just joshing but I think they really are serious about that. It's the way they stay on track, which is a good thing for a vegan commitment I think.

Folks I've known who love the taste of meat, love the smell of it cooking and report feeling well while eating it have not made successful, long term commitments to veganism.

ETA: I'm sure there are exceptions to my observations above and maybe we'll hear from them on this thread.

I am an exception, although I don't know if it is a true exception as I know many other successful vegans who enjoyed eating animal products too. I loved meat, eggs, and dairy and felt great while eating them. I've been vegan for ten years now despite liking the taste of those things.
  • salembambi
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    The successful vegans I know who have stuck with it over the years and with no backsliding are people who have always had a natural aversion to meat and never really liked it, even when they were kids. As adults, you'll hear them say things like "Eeew. Meat is so disgusting. The thought of putting an animal carcass, or anything that comes from an animal, in my mouth makes me want to gag."

I used to think they were just joshing but I think they really are serious about that. It's the way they stay on track, which is a good thing for a vegan commitment I think.

Folks I've known who love the taste of meat, love the smell of it cooking and report feeling well while eating it have not made successful, long term commitments to veganism.

ETA: I'm sure there are exceptions to my observations above and maybe we'll hear from them on this thread.

weird cause i grew up loving meat & my dad is even a hunter so i ate all kinds of animals . went vegetarian at 16 and have now been vegan 5 years

so not sure that is true that only people who did not love to eat meat can be successful and change ,cause i am now one of those people who gags when i just smell dairy or meat bllaagh
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    read or watch Fork's over Knives

This has to be the worst advice in the entire thread so far. Watching an unbelievably biased "documentary" on the consumption of animal products is not the right way to approach veganism. For those who would like to go vegan for ethical or moral reasons, go for it, I fully support you, but there is no good, solid argument to be made for health advantages of veganism, so don't go vegan because of that.

Fork's over Knives can be motivational but I agree there's not alot of actually facts to back it up.

Eating vegan is one of the healthiest diets out there (unless you only eat junk food). Why would you think it is not?

There is alot of false information about being vegan, for example, not needing much protein or getting all your B12 from plants (Both of which are not true). But there is always misinformation about diets which is true about every diet out there. If you know what your diet is missing, regardless of being vegan, you can make up for it.

OP - I would suggest going vegetarian first and see how that works for you, which I would start by supplementing chicken, something like, 3 or 4 days a week. 1 cup of lentils = the protein and calories from 3 eggs.

Also being vegan can be very cheap. A huge portion of the diet can be beans and legumes (for protein and fiber) which are cheap and easy to cook.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Well, why don't you try it? If you fail, the world doesn't end. And when you succeed, you're doing much more than if you never tried at all.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Watch some chicken slaughterhouse videos. You'll stop eating chicken if you care about animal rights. Chickens get the worst treatment of all. Debeaked and then throw into wire cages where they go crazy and defecate all over each other.

Sometimes I wonder why I eat that *kitten* but teriyaki bowls are good. Chicken kebab with rice is good.
    I think you just said you don't care about animal rights in a round about way. I'm sure that wasn't the intent though.

I like chicken personally. I eat it 5-6 times a week. I don't think watching a video will deter me from continuing to eat it. I don't necessarily care for how it smells or feels in a raw state, but I dont eat it raw so that doesnt matter.
  • AJ_G
    edited September 2016
    Options
    everyone should be vegan

wow amazing i didn't know that

you really showed me i guess

i better start eating animal products again since people will keep being murdered and attempting to live within their means anyways

Nice! Turned another one! Lmao