2»

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »
    read or watch Fork's over Knives

This has to be the worst advice in the entire thread so far. Watching an unbelievably biased "documentary" on the consumption of animal products is not the right way to approach veganism. For those who would like to go vegan for ethical or moral reasons, go for it, I fully support you, but there is no good, solid argument to be made for health advantages of veganism, so don't go vegan because of that.

Fork's over Knives can be motivational but I agree there's not alot of actually facts to back it up.

Eating vegan is one of the healthiest diets out there (unless you only eat junk food). Why would you think it is not?

I never said eating vegan was less healthy, just that it's not necessarily healthier than eating a balanced diet consisting of animal based foods. Basically every study or article you read that "shows" a vegan diet to be healthier shows a correlation between eating meat or animal products, and heart disease, or obesity, etc. Unfortunately those articles and studies fail to control for the fact that people who consume animal products tend to eat higher amounts of dietary cholesterol while having much lower fiber intakes. If you fail to control for those variables, your results are going to be highly flawed.
  • sddohm
    sddohm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you decide to go let me know how hard it is....been thinking about it but meat is like a staple for me idk if I could do it lol
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    http://www.livescience.com/24875-meat-human-brain.html

As an adult I see no issue with someone going Vegan. Its all about choices.

I personally love my chicken, beef, pork, eggs and fish and I wont be satiated with the vegan options. Just my Opinion. To each their own. Good luck.

• Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    So you want to go vegan for animal rights. That's interesting.

Just for a reminder, as an omnivore, you CAN get energy from consuming either plant based or animal based things. Humans can even incorporate algae, fungi, and bacteria as a food source with success.

Perhaps since you are struggling between your kind heart and your omnivore desires, the real question is not should I go vegan, but instead how do I have compassion and kind treatment for all living creatures, even the ones who will die so I can get my nutrients and energy?

I don't have an answer, but I promise I will keep looking in every basket of chicken wings and glass of beer I consume watching MMA until I can find an answer or forget the question in a drunken stupor.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

Just for a reminder, as an omnivore, you CAN get energy from consuming either plant based or animal based things. Humans can even incorporate algae, fungi, and bacteria as a food source with success.

Perhaps since you are struggling between your kind heart and your omnivore desires, the real question is not should I go vegan, but instead how do I have compassion and kind treatment for all living creatures, even the ones who will die so I can get my nutrients and energy?

I don't have an answer, but I promise I will keep looking in every basket of chicken wings and glass of beer I consume watching MMA until I can find an answer or forget the question in a drunken stupor.

Interesting view on vegans... Since you are opposed to vegan eating, you probably shouldn't drink beer since it is vegan; just in case someone confuses you for a vegan... especially since you're watching MMA fighting since there are some good vegan fighters that participate in that sport.
  • fawnh73
    fawnh73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can't really go vegan....or vegetarian....or paleo.....or anything that says no to a certain group
    So, I call myself a Plexitarian....
    I eat mostly raw organic produce, as little glutton as possible, only goat milk dairy/almond milk to drink and coconut milk homemade yogurt, meat I eat is non processed humanely grown on small farms, fish is wild caught,even my occasional dark chocolate treat is fair trade!
    And my supplements come from Plexus, are healing my gut and ridding me of my Candida infection.
    I drink 100oz water a day, exercise 6 days a week and walk at least 5 miles/10k steps every day.
    Yes, I'm a hippie lol
    ......now to try to become a healthy less chubby hippie lol
  • Jonesingmucho
    Options

Interesting view on vegans... Since you are opposed to vegan eating, you probably shouldn't drink beer since it is vegan; just in case someone confuses you for a vegan... especially since you're watching MMA fighting since there are some good vegan fighters that participate in that sport.

Awwwww I didn't mean to upset you.

Was it the chicken wing comment? If it was, my apologies. I was just hungry and went all carnivore. I'll go put "going carnivore" as one of the reasons why I'm a bad person to date in that other thread if it makes us all good again.

Just to set the record straight...I'm not opposed to vegan eating. I'm vegan ... at least half of the time. :p
  • cee134
    edited September 2016
    Options

Was it the chicken wing comment? If it was, my apologies. I was just hungry and went all carnivore. I'll go put "going carnivore" as one of the reasons why I'm a bad person to date in that other thread if it makes us all good again.

Just to set the record straight...I'm not opposed to vegan eating. I'm vegan ... at least half of the time. :p

I'm not vegan, I just think that's a very ignorant, close-minded view of vegans.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Options

I'm not vegan, I just think that's a very ignorant, close-minded view of vegans.

Enlighten me. What is my ignorant, close-minded view of vegans?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP give it a go and see how you get on. If you like it, and find it healthy stick with it. If not, you may find you can incorporate 1 or 2 meals a week into your usual diet.

I don't think i could do it personally, I struggled with vegetarian for a few years but couldn't even sustain that.
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Spread love not hate and keep making those vegan gains! :#
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

It is the fact that you do not agree that it is the best, most healthy, most moral and ethical system of eating. >:)
  • cee134
    Options

It is the fact that you do not agree that it is the best, most healthy, most moral and ethical system of eating. >:)

You too eh?
  • cee134
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • cee134
    Options
    You guys are being trolls, you know that right?
  • misdawn
    misdawn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've done it! I was scared it would be hard and I would fail! I mean I used to put away some meat..it was an ongoing joke really about how much I could eat!
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,844 Member
    Options
    Should I go Vegan? I know it is the right thing to do because of animal rights, but I'm scared. You're probably asking why I'm scared. Good question. I'm scared to fail. What if o can't do it. I can go without eating red meat, but chicken is my life. I also love cheese but I don't eat it as much because it's not healthy. What do you guys think? Let me know- also let me know some good recipes.

It's a big deal tbh!!

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I haven't yet been successful, although I've taken a huge liking to black beans & previously ate, some hummus. My major issue with it, is gas. I clear rooms, I know because I have to leave the room, so I've had to stop eating chickpea pasta & taking Beano before every serving of them, isn't affordable; for me. Plus since I am trying to rid myself of excess weight & disabled, it's even more difficult for me; to get creative in the kitchen. So I've mostly been eating what I'm use to. There's no way I am able to make 2 meals, if I dislike 1 regularly; physically and/or financially but otherwise I'd love to be vegan! So I just do if/when what's possible & I don't stress myself concerning, what I'm unable; to accomplish.
  • jaz8304
    jaz8304 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just recently started my vegan journey. The hardest thing is hidden ingredients. But eating whole foods and planning is key. The thing I miss most are eggs. And I have had plenty of fails but hey im trying