Exercise calories...

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    When I'm actually on track I never eat them back purposeful or not.
    I just think adding additional calories is odd. I work out to lose weight.

Thats just disturbing to me frankly. Now if you ate 3000 calories a day every day and then worked out a lot to balance that out to lose weight or maintain okay, but if you have your goal set to 1000 calories and THEN do that then you are really not in a good state mentally.

You can eat a lot of calories and use exercise to still create a deficit. You can not exercise but lower your food intake to create a defecit. Or you can lower your food intake and exercise but eat back your exercise calories. What you should never do is both lower your intake AND exercise but not add more intake to support that exercise....thats just disorded.

Her calorie goal is currently set to 1055 calories and her fitbit is giving her calories up to 947. She didn't log any food on the 947 day, but back when I checked my feed regularly she chronically under ate. I kept expecting to see her posting from the hospital.

Don't worry about me.
    I've been very lacks on my logging this summer just getting back to logging and exercise thanks to being injured.

I DO worry about you :)
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Do you honestly not know how MFP works? It's just TDEE, but you don't add the exercise to the day until you actually do it.

Yes I do know how it works
    I also know if I eat back all the calories it gives me I do not lose weight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Do you honestly not know how MFP works? It's just TDEE, but you don't add the exercise to the day until you actually do it.

So you used to eat the calories back from your exercise? Also...are you even overweight? In your profile picture you look thin.
  • superhockeymom
    Options

So you used to eat the calories back from your exercise? Also...are you even overweight? In your profile picture you look thin.

I tried eating them back yes
    I wouldn't call that thin
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options

Tried eating them back for months or just for like 1 week?

Height and weight? 6' tall 172 here.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Many of us don't eat ALL our exercise calories back. It's your position on eating NONE of your exercise calories I find disturbing, especially for someone like you, who runs, walks, is on a hockey league, etc.
  • superhockeymom
    Options

I'm 5'8". Weight is not important it's how you look
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

At this point, I wouldn't bother. This poster has a history of essentially exercise bulimia and body dysmorphia. Engaging with her isn't going to be productive nor help the OP.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

You're moving the goalposts a little bit here from eating back additional calories to ALL the calories, even though your position is really not to eat back any at all. Is it odd to eat back 50% or 75%?
  • superhockeymom
    Options

You're moving the goalposts a little bit here from eating back additional calories to ALL the calories, even though your position is really not to eat back any at all. Is it odd to eat back 50% or 75%?

Not odd if it works for the individual why not give it a try.
    Not everyone is the same if we were there would be a perfect way to accomplish our goals and everyone would look incredible, be happy and healthy. Wouldn't that be nice.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Not odd if it works for the individual why not give it a try.
    Not everyone is the same if we were there would be a perfect way to accomplish our goals and everyone would look incredible, be happy and healthy. Wouldn't that be nice.

Well here it is in black and white.

You don't log accurately and consistently so you should not be giving advice to the OP at all...and if what is being said is accurate another reason not to give advice on how much to eat back.

MFP is designed and set up to eat back exercise calories, because you don't need to exercise to lose weight. It is setup this way for a few reasons...1. Some people can't exercise and 2. Some don't want to exercise. So if you do exercise then adding them back is using this tool the way you are suppose to.

If you log your food accurately and consistently and eat back some if not all your exercise calories you will lose weight and if you don't you are doing something wrong....either eating more than you think or burning less than you think.

OP again...if you have a tracker you have a few choices.

Set yourself as sedentary , enable negative adjustments and eat them back.
    Set yourself as light active, enable negative adjustments and eat them back...

Difference is as lightly active you won't get as many to eat back...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat according to what my fitbit tells me I burn, it's pretty accurate. I don't eat consistently to that number every day, but more aim for a weekly deficit (I just use the summary that fitbit emails me). It's tracked really well with my overall weight loss trend (I use an app to even out weight spikes and dips).
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

If weight is not important then why are you trying to lose weight?
  • superhockeymom
    Options

I'm 5'8". Weight is not important it's how you look [/quote]

If weight is not important then why are you trying to lose weight?[/quote]

To look better
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

If weight is not important then why are you trying to lose weight?[/quote]

To look better[/quote]

In the long term looks are maximized by a healthy lifestyle.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options

If weight is not important then why are you trying to lose weight?

To look better

So you feel that your weight is relevant to looking better but that weight is not important? Its just confusing to me that you both say weight is not important and yet your focus is on your weight. If weight is not important and you want to look better you should eat above maintenance and lift weights most likely. Put some pounds on, not take them off. To many people here sacrificing their health and their appearance for some unrealistic scale-based goal of looking waif thin.

From your picture, you look thin. You have a thigh gap which is not easy for a woman to accomplish and I'm guessing your refusal to say what you weigh is more about that you realize you aren't overweight on some level.

If you are 5'8'' you probably should weigh about 140 or so at a healthy weight (although that varies). If you are under that you definately don't need to be losing more.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anybody would have and wear a step tracker if they're not willing to use it. Seems like a waste of $100 if you don't believe what it's telling you.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Patti, I was wondering if you were lifting weights these days too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    there are a lot of things you can do to look better besides losing weight if you are at a decent weight already. some of us will always have problem areas and sometimes there is nothing that can fix them except for plastic surgery. your protein is also way too low. you are Im willing to bet losing lean muscle mass like crazy. thats not enough protein for a toddler most days. netting under 1200 calories is not a good idea for anyone. let alone grossing under 1200 without exercise(excluding those who had WLS or under the care of a Dr)
  • superhockeymom
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Patti, I was wondering if you were lifting weights these days too.

Not as much as I should be
    Shoulder injury