Lets talk MACROs (carb, fat, protein ratio)

Options
What goals do you set for your macro ratios? I found an online calculator and entered my stats and I feel like the amount of protein it has for me is almost unattainable. I'd like to loose 10lbs and several inches and want to keep up my nutrition but I'm finding that difficult.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    40/30/30, 125 grams of protein
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I had success using the setup described here, though your mileage may vary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Same here. I don't know what site you used but mine wanted me to eat an astronomical amount of protein. I couldn't keep up with it so I had to adjust my percentages.

I think I am set now at 40% carbs, 30% protein, & 30% fat.

I try to keep the carbs as low as I can but I don't sweat it if I go over because most of them are from good foods (fruits, veggies, whole grain oats, etc) and same with the fats. If I go over on my fats but I've had healthy fats then I don't stress over it.

But I did find it hard to follow the macros that the online calculators gave me. I ended up trying several and all of them were so different that I just followed my own plan and I figure I'll adjust as needed.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Currently I am on 25% carb (94g), 45% fat (75g), and 30% protein (113g). I do go over on all of them depending on the day.
  • mrsherrm
    mrsherrm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So mine is currently set to 105gm of protein per day and I rarely hit that. Isn't that a lot for someone who just wants to get into shape and not really add mass?

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I also do 40% carbs, 30% protein, & 30% fat.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My trainer set me the same 40, 30, 30 and 1400 cal to lose fat and gain the same amount of muscle as fat loss.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    mrsherrm wrote: »
    So mine is currently set to 105gm of protein per day and I rarely hit that. Isn't that a lot for someone who just wants to get into shape and not really add mass?

How much do you weigh? Higher protein while eating in a deficit is beneficial (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/).

If you take your body weight in pounds and multiply it by 0.6 that should give you a decent protein goal to strive for.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm doing 50-25-25. Did 40-30-30 when my calories were lower, and don't care if I go over protein, but there's no need for me to have a protein goal of more than 25% (which is 103 g). I go by .8 g for each lb in your healthy/goal weight, which I think is a generous enough estimate (I bumped mine a bit due to rounding up to the nearest 5% too and use my current weight since it's a healthy BMI).
  • mrsherrm
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

How much do you weigh? Higher protein while eating in a deficit is beneficial (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/).

If you take your body weight in pounds and multiply it by 0.6 that should give you a decent protein goal to strive for.

I am currently 133lbs, my goal is 125. I'm 5'5".
    My ratios are set at 45%carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. 154 grams of carbs (which I try to keep them as healthy and complex as possible), 103 grams of protein (I can't seem to eat enough. Ever.) and fat 38 grams.

I feel like I would have to eat 3 chicken breast a day to hit my protein goals.
  • mrsherrm
    Options
    Also I'm trying to keep my calories under 1400 a day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    55% Carbs, 30% Fat, 15% Protein
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, low fat cheeses, egg whites and lean meat are all pretty low in calories. You could add some of those to your diet if you want to increase your protein intake.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I had success using the setup described here, though your mileage may vary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

This in theory, although I've been falling short of fat lately.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

My ratios are set at 45%carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. 154 grams of carbs (which I try to keep them as healthy and complex as possible), 103 grams of protein (I can't seem to eat enough. Ever.) and fat 38 grams.

My protein goal is 125g, and I'm trying to lose weight. Protein intake has little to do with gaining, and many people argue adequate protein is far more important when losing than when gaining because it can help mitigate lean body mass loss.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mine are at 50/15/35. It's set like that on fat because of gall bladder issues. My protien is 105 grams a day. I am just learning and the ladies in the group I am in say when you first start learn to get the protien grams in first. I do my lean meats as chicken and turkey. I also add protein powders on low days. Egg whites are awesome way of getting protein without adding a lot of fat. Tuna I love getting water packed tuna and make sandwiches. If I am high in carbs that day I put it cucumbers. I first though that much was a lot to. But there is ways to get it in.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I did 40/30/30 while losing. Now with my goal a bit lower, it's closer to 45/30/25 (120g of protein but I'm usually over).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options

Speaking as someone about your size (I'm 5'5", 120 pounds, and in maintenance), I shoot for an absolute minimum of 100g protein daily, and almost always signficantly exceed it . . . and I'm vegetarian: I haven't eaten even one chicken breast since 1974 (yup, 42 years ago)!

So, 105g doesn't seem either crazy or unachievable to me.

I strove for 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of goal bodyweight while losing, and found that very do-able. More is fine, within reason.

Check out this thread:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

Use the spreadsheet it describes - just scroll through it, find things you enjoy eating, and eat more of those, and less of something that doesn't so much help you achieve your goals . . . you can do it without 3 daily chicken breasts! ;) Don't forget that small amounts of protein (in snacks, sides, beverages, etc.) can add up over the course of a day, and help you reach your target.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Mine are 25% carbs, 30% protein and 45% fats. If I am lower in carbs I don't worry. It seems to work out over the course of the week.