Too much sugar in fruit, is that bad?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    No one claims food choice doesn't matter, that's not what "a calorie is a calorie" even means. You are arguing against a strawman to misrepresent what people here say, why?

Counting sugar grams within the context of a healthy balanced diet is unnecessary, in part because it's not going to be possible to consistently get excessive added sugar on that kind of diet, when you are eating reasonable calories and meeting other requirements.

Limiting fruit within the context of such a diet is particularly unnecessary and there is no credible support for a claim there is (not that that has ever stopped authority nutrition). The WHO and the US Dietary Guidelines recommend no more than 10% of calories (the WHO suggests that 5% might be even better) from added sugar, but say nothing about limiting sugar from vegetables, fruit, and dairy, and their reasoning for the limit -- association with excess calories and lower nutrient/high cal foods -- does not apply to intrinsic sugar. Oh, and about half the calories from most major sources of added sugar other than soda is fat.

Personally, I keep on eye on added sugar (although I've yet to be surprised), but don't care about overall sugar if I'm hitting my protein goal, getting in lots of vegetables and plenty of fiber, and some healthy fats. That's because I understand nutrition (and am happy to discuss it) and don't think how much sugar I eat is the determinant of what's a good diet. I eat lots of fruit in the summer, so have been high on sugar lately (I'm often quite low in the winter). Not going to pass on enjoying the summer fruits or many vegetables for that reason, or worry that by trying to finish off my tomato surplus (I had nearly 700 grams of tomatoes alone a few days ago, LOL) I will eat too much sugar.
  • StorkFootFamily
    Options
    Jane, you're right, I should have cited a source. I normally hesitate to post more than 1 link because I feel like I'm going to insult the reader's intelligence by making it seem like I don't think they're capable of doing their own research (after all, you are adults on the internet). Here is an article simplifying a study from Harvard: http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/

I can't spend any more time on the subject today (I already spent more than I meant to!). Do you have any studies to post that scientifically explain why all calories are treated exactly the same in the body to convince me? I'll be happy to learn something new, and since you've established that it's a requirement to site a source, I'm a little surprised you haven't done it yet.

I only brought up the subject because I saw so many comments along the lines of "it doesn't matter, as long as you burn the calories." I honestly believe that health is more important than weight (and I thought health might be a concern for someone on a "nutrition" board), so I gave the original poster an answer that included information that might be beneficial if she is also concerned about her overall health (that the sugar in fruit is balanced nicely with fiber, so it isn't as much of a concern as added sugar).

I'm sorry I didn't specify that by "calorie content" I meant the food that you're eating (and how nutritionally viable it is) that make up your calorie count. I thought that was kinda obvious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    "Calories" does not simply mean "food." To read "a calorie is a calorie" as "a food is a food" would be your comprehension error. Sadly, that misunderstanding is often used as click bait for headlines and such.

On the GI thing, I think this is interesting. http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2015/04/do-slower-digesting-carbohydrates-make.html Ludwig has been pushing the GI idea for a long time, but it really doesn't seem to hold up. I think any correlation tends to be that foods/diets that tend to be higher GI ALSO tend to be more nutrient-dense or satiating diets, but that it really has nothing to do with GI in general, which shouldn't matter much in a sensible mixed diet, or for healthy people.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Jane, you're right, I should have cited a source. I normally hesitate to post more than 1 link because I feel like I'm going to insult the reader's intelligence by making it seem like I don't think they're capable of doing their own research (after all, you are adults on the internet). Here is an article simplifying a study from Harvard: http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/

OK, I searched for the actual study in your article and came up empty. I quickly glanced at few studies by Ebbling and cannot figure out which one the article is based on. I'd rather look at the source instead of a reporter's opinion piece.

Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Not really, it's refined sugars that you have to watch out for. Many of us are very healthy and maintain healthy body weights year round.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Also authority nutrition is not exactly an unbiased legitimate source.

With emphasis on the word "legitimate". Authority Nutrition is about as "legitimate" as Dr. Oz.

To the OP: Ignore the scaremongering. You're not going to gain weight from eating fruit as long as you're staying within your calorie goals. There's nothing whatsoever wrong with fruit in moderation as part of an overall balanced diet.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

I can't spend any more time on the subject today (I already spent more than I meant to!). Do you have any studies to post that scientifically explain why all calories are treated exactly the same in the body to convince me? I'll be happy to learn something new, and since you've established that it's a requirement to site a source, I'm a little surprised you haven't done it yet.

I only brought up the subject because I saw so many comments along the lines of "it doesn't matter, as long as you burn the calories." I honestly believe that health is more important than weight (and I thought health might be a concern for someone on a "nutrition" board), so I gave the original poster an answer that included information that might be beneficial if she is also concerned about her overall health (that the sugar in fruit is balanced nicely with fiber, so it isn't as much of a concern as added sugar).

I'm sorry I didn't specify that by "calorie content" I meant the food that you're eating (and how nutritionally viable it is) that make up your calorie count. I thought that was kinda obvious.

The thing is, the very thing you're accusing people of saying is something I have never seen people saying. Don't confuse "all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit" with "it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in a calorie deficit."

While I've seen many helpful (and successful) MFPers say that a deficit is the key to weight loss, it is usually paired with advice like "a good balance of protein and fiber tends to be the key to satiety which helps with adherence." Protein and fiber also help stabilize blood sugar.

I understand your desire to be helpful, but calling out the regular posters here for doling out misinformation when you've clearly failed to do more than skim a few threads is not a great way to join the community.

• valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Stick to two serves of fruit
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Why?

Yesterday I had grapes, an apple, and a banana. I hit my protein and fat goals for the day. What is the harm in eating more fruit (or anything else, for that matter) if you are within your goals for the day?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    sana66 wrote: »
    i hear wat everyones saying, just out of curiosity, how does atkins make u loose weight coz ur counting carbs not calories right?

And protein takes calories to digest it and make it available as fuel. Every 100 calories of meat you consume yields 60 calories of energy to your body. By making carbs a tiny part of your food plan and meat a large part, you can eat your NEAT and still be in a large net calorie deficit, or you can eat in a modest excess of your NEAT and remain in a modest calorie deficit. Keto is a trick on the individual mind, not on the science.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Because...?
  • pasewaldd
    pasewaldd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have worried about having too much fruit, also. This discussion actually helps.
    Another thing about calories and calorie deficit... for quite a while I wasn't tracking my calories (and I eat very clean and work out quite a bit). Since I wasn't tracking, I thought I was eating enough and my weight stayed the same at 130 for a long time so I figured I was eating too much. So, I started eating less. And then the kicker... I gained 2 lbs. I recently got back into tracking and doing carb cycling. Eating way more and already lost 4 pounds. And I eat fruit, but mostly on my carb days. Hope this helps a little. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MFP bases their sugar "goal" on the recommendation that people get no more than 10% of their calories from added sugar. However, the system currently has no way to distinguish between added sugar and "natural sugar". So fruit sugars shouldn't even count towards that limit.

That said, I agree with others that there's no reason to limit sugar as long as you are feeling satiated and getting enough nutrients in your diet as a whole (and you don't have a medical reason).
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This isn't the case for most people, but I stopped losing for a bit and when I went from 3 servings of fruit a day, down to 1-2, it helped kick start things again. I was fine up until that point, so if you stall, that is the only reason I would worry about it. Fruit has so many good nutrients and vitamins in them, that I want them in my daily diet, So, I don't really count sugar from fruit when I look at my daily goals. I use that strictly for non natural sugar.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

You may believe that health is more important than weight, but that doesn't really address the question in the OP. If you want to discuss your belief that health is more important than weight, you may want to start a thread discussing that (the debate area may be a good place for that thread).

As far as the claim that our weight is determined by the calories we eat and burn, you can believe it or disbelieve it as you choose. If you're inclined to dismiss that theory and throw your lot in with Ludwig's POV, I can't imagine any source I could post would convince you otherwise. Keep in mind that I never said "it doesn't matter" what one eats (I would never say that, as it isn't what I believe). My answer should be read *in the context of the OP's question* about weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only issue with eating too much fruit is that it's hard to meet your fat and protein macros.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I lost 60+ pounds while going over my MFP sugar goal every single day. Much of that time, the only added sugar I ate was some concentrated fruit juice that wasn't even at the top of the ingredient list in 1Tbsp of all-fruit spread (30 calories) I put in my oatmeal daily. Most of rest of the sugar was from fruit, or the milk sugars inherent in unsweetened nonfat/lowfat dairy foods, plus a tiny bit from miscellaneous other whole foods.

The only reason to limit fruit, IMO, is to make sure you're getting enough protein, fat, and micronutrients that don't happen to be in the fruits you prefer.

Good, balanced nutrition is an excellent goal for health. A calorie deficit is additionally necessary, if you want weight loss. After that, unless you have a major or minor medical condition, there's no reason to limit any specific food - unless the limitation helps you personally achieve good nutrition or stick with your calorie goal.

Consider changing your MFP diary layout to remove tracking sugar, and replace it with something of more daily interest to you (I replaced it with fiber tracking). You can still run a report if you want to look at sugar.