Cooked breakfast ideas?

Options
CraigIW
CraigIW Posts: 176
HI all,

I'm craving something hot for breakfast tomorrow and looking for ideas. Obviously it should be low cal :) I don't want everyone to same omelet (I'm crap at separating eggs) so what else have you got??

Edit: Okay I just checked and a medium egg is 88 cals so no separating for me, but I still don't want an omelet. :)

Edit 2: Thanks for all the ideas peeps. I also just found a 'cheesy egg bake' which looks very interesting! http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/heres-a-delicious-new-brunch-idea-and-its-pretty-too/

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs & bacon, pancakes, baked custard (hey it's high protein!)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I was just going to say scrambled eggs. I've been rotating fiber one cereal and greek yogurt with scrambled eggs and greek yogurt. These are my two staple breakfasts the last couple weeks. They keep me full 'til lunch and are delicious, have enough protein and also enough carbs so that I can work out a little while afterwards. :]

And please don't separate them. The hype about eggs being bad is ridiculous. The cholesterol is GOOD cholesterol. Don't be afraid. EAT THE DAMN YOLKS!
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    quorn sausages??
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    poached eggs on toast with a slice or shredded cheese. YUM! now *i* want this for brekky tomorrow....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Why low calorie? Breakfast should be a solid meal - the standard bowl of cereal or piece of fruit doesn't really cut it. A hearty breakfast I had recently was cooked oatmeal (1/2 cup uncooked - equals a bowlful cooked) mixed with some fresh berries and then a side of eggs (whatever your preferred style is). Sometimes I'll throw in a slice or two of bacon, too.

I do much better with a larger, fat/protein centered breakfast than a wimpy carb-centered breakfast.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal w/protein powder. Greek yogurt. Cottage cheese. All have great protein!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    And please don't separate them. The hype about eggs being bad is ridiculous. The cholesterol is GOOD cholesterol. Don't be afraid. EAT THE DAMN YOLKS!

^^ What she said!
  • bpa7403
    bpa7403 Posts: 1
    Options
    Your own Egg McMuffin: 100 calorie english muffin, 1 Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patty, 1 HEB egg white, and one 2% american cheese slice.
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    I have 2 multi-grain waffles with a tsp of peanut butter on each along with a tsp of mini chocolate chips on each...that is a breakfast that is less or around 300 cal (depending on the peanut butter brand), is filling ,and REALLY yummy!!!!
  • CraigIW
    Options

^^ What she said!

I don't really care that much about the cholesterol, but a lot of the recipes I'd seen recently had been seperating to 'lighten' them and I'd kind of got into that thought pattern.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    some mornings I fry up and egg and have two slices of bacon. It's only 182 calories..... you could add a slice of 100 calorie toast or something as well.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest an apple cinnamon omelet. Two eggs, half an apple, about 198-202 calories if you use a granny smith. I use the whole egg too. Aside from that, low fat bacon, sausages or a sandwich toasted? I eat a lot of veggie/soy products and no meat but you could always try those as well for lower calorie versions of the same/similar tasting foods. Smoothies and protein shakes are also good. Or you could try protein powder pancakes, though I have never had them myself.

Had to add in English muffin mini pizzas for brunch or lunch! Mmm!!!
  • CraigIW
    Options

Okay, I may have to demand the recipe for this :)
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Lol I use one plain English muffin cut in half for two mini pizzas (110cals per muffin) and spread Primo traditional pizza sauce on them (you can use any spaghetti or marinara sauce instead). Decorate with cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese and anything else you'd like! Put them in the oven on 325F for about 6-10 minutes and it's that simple. I'm addicted!! Mine usually end up at around 245 cals but it depends on the toppings you add as well.
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    French toast- 2 slices low cal bread dipped in 2 egg whites (I cant have that much fat) OR one whole egg. Use butter flavored cooking spray and serve with sugar free syrup- YUM. I have with some canadian bacon
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    you could do healthy pancakes with greek yogurrt on top (extra protein, no fat), berries and i heat a tablespoon of maple syrup with a tsp of orange marmalade and drizzle on top.....

of you could do baked egg muffins: in a non-stick or sprayed muffin tin add egg whites (from a carton or Reddi-Egg, mix it with some ricotta for richness, and any crumbled meat ---- bacon, sausage, spinach or any veggies and some cheese....

I recently did spinach, mushroom and blue cheese....over toast or crumpets or whole wheat english muffins

or Van's Lite waffles with the same greek yogurt, berries, and syrup drizzle

or oatmeal with yogurt (i add in extra protein at every opportunity as you can see!!), just me....

Have a great breakfast whatever you whip up darling
  • CraigIW
    Options

Lol I use one plain English muffin cut in half for two mini pizzas (110cals per muffin) and spread Primo traditional pizza sauce on them (you can use any spaghetti or marinara sauce instead). Decorate with cheddar and/or mozzarella cheese and anything else you'd like! Put them in the oven on 325F for about 6-10 minutes and it's that simple. I'm addicted!! Mine usually end up at around 245 cals but it depends on the toppings you add as well.

Mmmm.. This is definitely being tried this weekend :)
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Vegetable Frittata
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    HI all,

I'm craving something hot for breakfast tomorrow and looking for ideas. Obviously it should be low cal :) I don't want everyone to same omelet (I'm crap at separating eggs) so what else have you got??

Edit: Okay I just checked and a medium egg is 88 cals so no separating for me, but I still don't want an omelet. :)

Edit 2: Thanks for all the ideas peeps. I also just found a 'cheesy egg bake' which looks very interesting! http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/heres-a-delicious-new-brunch-idea-and-its-pretty-too/

You can't buy egg whites, where you live? :)

That's my only answer-- we can buy they in a carton here and I enjoy egg white scrambles every weekend morning. Yum, yum!
  • laromeo
    laromeo Posts: 14
    Options
    I love to make egg and sausage bakes using chicken or turkey sausages, veggies and egg substitute. Cut and saute the sausages with some cooking spray with some veggies and put into a baking dish with a small carton of egg substitute. I like to put in a handful of parmesan or romano cheese but you could really use any low fat cheese. Bake until set. You've got a hot breakfast every morning - also good with a side salad for lunch or dinner!