Scared to weigh myself...

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The scales give you a number (data) not a moral judgement.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The scales give you a number (data) not a moral judgement.

Thats how I feel about it and I don't really understand people who have anxiety or emotion tied to it, but I do try to be sympathetic about it and think "if this caused me anxiety what would I do" and honestly the most obvious answer is "don't do that thing". You don't absolutely have to weigh yourself to lose weight. I mean it helps to have some sort of readout of your progress but you can get that from other sources. I'd just be concerned whatever that source was your anxiety would just be associated with that instead. But I don't know, anxiety over my weight has never been a thing for me. I've been concerned by my weight, but I feel thats a different thing.
  • somegirlsdo
    somegirlsdo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You could measure yourself instead and track your measurements instead of your weight. That might be easier to deal with emotionally until you are good with yourself again and ready to step on a scale.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I say don't weigh yourself if it's going to be upsetting. Just get on plan and weigh yourself when you are feeling better about your weight.

I second this. This is what I do.

It's interesting to me to see that a lot of people mis-routed the OP's point to something completely nonissue and then say they don't understand it.

I don't think the OP fears the information or the scale itself. Who does? The underlining fear of the scale is one's fear of his own failure in an endeavor. Personally I do feel a bit anxious sometimes before stepping on the scale. It's not the scale. I'm anxious because I do not want to see my effort wasted or having to redraw my plan which is work.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    How do your clothes fit? That's more important than what the scale says.

This is such BS response. Seriously, if I go buy a 5X shirt and it fits, then I should be happy and not worry about losing weight according to you. When people are seriously over weight, the scale is the one main tool to guage success. It's only when you get close to a normal body fat level that the scale becomes less and less important.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I clicked on an advertisement that said lifting improves health in a lot of ways. Namely, lower insurance costs. So, I shall acquire a bar and 200 lb of weights and commence dead lifting soon. That's an example of a thought process which finds a reason to do something and plans to do it, using any convenient excuse. Seeing your OP, you plan to do nothing and the convenient excuse is "I'd know my weight". Is that really the way you want to go through life, erecting false barriers to yourself?
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way 7 weeks ago when I started focusing on my weight again. For me though, I HAD to get on the scale because i knew that as long as I avoided it, I could tell myself it hadn't gotten that bad.

The number on the scale holds me accountable. But that's what works for me. If you think it will cause you to spiral, maybe work towards making healthier choices for a couple of weeks and ease your way into getting on the scale.
  • LaurynDBee
    LaurynDBee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've struggled w/ the same problem. From my personal experience ( this is a disclaimer because everyone handles things differently), like some others above have said, you should pretty much focus on what you know would be best for you mentally which from what you have said seems to be stay away from the scale for now. Just because you may not want to be where you want now, does not mean that tomorrow you won't be able to make that chnage for the better. Get a good workout in& make a consistent schedule for some time to workout everyday& watch not only calories but the content of what you give your body. Never give up if you have a goal!! This is my advice to you from my very recent& past experiences, hope this helps
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    sahm2013 wrote: »
    Blah blah blah...*insert sad story about why I've put on weight * It's been about 3 months since I weighed myself and I'm really scared to do it! I'm worried that if I see that number it will send me sinking into depression (the sad story part) and make me feel too overwhelmed to start working out again. Any advice?

What you weigh is what you weigh. Don't let it make or break you. Just keep on moving forward. You know how you feel and should go by your overall feeling and how your clothing fits. Who cares what the scale says anyway. You can be losing weight and it actually not even show on the scales sometimes.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I logged into MFP today it told me that I had last weighed myself 75 days ago. That was pretty much when I went off the rails on my diet too. It was also when I stopped logging because I don't log if I am not trying. If I can't be concerned enough to eat properly, and exercise properly, as in the things that I was doing that were actually having me get from 387 to 295... why bother logging them. I know I was "bad" LOL.

Today I am starting to get back on the horse as it were. I didn't hit the high carb/high calorie/high sugar snacks at work, I started bringing my own food and eating every couple hours like I was before. Now that the weather has cooled down a bit, I got back to walking in the Seattle rain and now that I have a tablet with plenty of cannabis podcasts on it, I found it much easier to not focus on the walk itself.

Tomorrow I will hit the Shipping scale again like I used to do every morning before I started work. If the home scale is accurate, it will likely tell me I am back up to around 317-320. And that is OK. I knew it was coming. It won't be a shock. I mean, not exercising and going back up to probably 3500-4000 calories a day.... it should be there.

I know how to get it back down though. And today I start getting back on track. And when I backslide again, and it will happen, I will just repeat the process but try to shorten the time I am off track. With cooler temps, and shorter workdays due to my business.... I have no excuse to not keep working on that number. :)

I mean, that is all it is, a number. If I truly want it to be a smaller number... it's on me.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could step on the scale and not look at the number but just take a photo of the scale. Then start working to lose weight, knowing that one day you will feel stronger and more confident after some success and then you can see the number if you want. Not that you HAVE to ever know the starting point but it just might be interesting to have the info in the future, so that you know exactly how much progress you made.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Honestly, weight doesn't mean much of anything anyways. Once you hit your weight goal, are you going to wear a tag that shows how much you weigh? No - no one knows the number but you. What matters is how you feel, look, and that you are healthy. That is what people will see, not some irrelevant number.

@Keladelphia, that scale is interesting. Does it hook up to wifi? I kind of like the concept, but would rather it just show me my % body fat. That's all I really care about from my scale anyways.

@GauchoMark Mine doesn't but I have an old version that I bought when I was losing a couple of years ago. I don't think the newer version connects to wifi or shows BF% but it does give you the option to use it as a regular scale (my old one didn't). I think it mostly benefits those who get consumed with focusing on a number.

If you have a recommendation for a scale that seems to calculate BF% though i'd love to know what it is as that's what I gauge my progress on now and haven't found a way to get a consistent accurate BF measurement.

I use a Fitbit Aria. It syncs via wifi and measures %BF. It is probably not the best scale out there, but it works and is convenient. I used to have a Tanita that I loved, but it didn't sync.