What are your favorite ways to (accurately) burn 200 calories?

Options
cerise_noir
cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all!

I'm just looking for ideas as I've decided to split up my deficit between food consumption and exercise (I won't be eating the 200 exercise cals back). I'm currently compiling a list of cardio exercises from which I can chose what I am in the mood for...and having major brain fart.

What are your favorite ways to burn 200 calories (not going by mfp exercise calories)?

Thanks!

Replies

• kjerome101
    kjerome101 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and calorie watch to count my calories burned during exercise and one of my favorite ways to burn a lot of calories is at a football stadium (i happen to work right across the street from one). If I run stairs and then run some laps, or even walk, the calories go flying!! Good luck to you, I am curious what others have to add :)
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Thanks. Yep, me too!
    Since I like to eat, and like to have energy for lifting, splitting up my calories this way may be better for me. I don't want to do something that will exhaust me ( I can handle 30m walk/jog) right after lifting.) I do have a fitbit, but am not sure of the accuracy of the burn.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Ride my bike around Lake Union, taking the "only moderately hilly" route. I'm not sure how that helps you?
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Ride my bike around Lake Union, taking the "only moderately hilly" route. I'm not sure how that helps you?

That sounds really nice. I do cycle, so yes, it does give me ideas. My brain is just....not awake. :lol:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Absolute accuracy is a problem. Even the most easily measured exercise equations are estimates based on populations.

That said, your best bets are walking and running. Cycling, I believe, has pretty accurate calculations based on speed, distance and resistance, too (particularly if there's a power meter attached). I'm assuming no incline on the walking and running, or calculations get more difficult. When I say walking, I'm presuming 3-4 mph speeds because walking gaits (and therefore calorie burn rates) change at higher speeds. At high enough speeds, walking burns more calories per mile than running, so the difference can be dramatic.

Walking and running have equations for net calories that depend only on your weight and the distance. Running is 0.63 * weight in lbs * distance in miles. Walking is a bit less than half that at 0.3 * weight in lbs * distance in miles.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    MFP's calorie estimates are pretty good for walking and running, actually, if you're going the speed indicated. Those are two activities I can pretty much count on. Running 2 miles burns nearly 200 calories for me.

The only problem with your request is, the size of the person responding is going to dictate what we do to burn 200 calories. If you're larger, you can do less and still burn that amount and if you're smaller you'll need to do more.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    MFP's calorie estimates are pretty good for walking and running, actually, if you're going the speed indicated. Those are two activities I can pretty much count on. Running 2 miles burns nearly 200 calories for me.
    That's good to know!
    The only problem with your request is, the size of the person responding is going to dictate what we do to burn 200 calories. If you're larger, you can do less and still burn that amount and if you're smaller you'll need to do more.
    Yes, I am completely aware of this and I am willing to do more/less depending on the activity based on my own stats. I'm just looking for general ideas to make sure that I don't over/under do it.

Just for reference, I am 5'4" 170lbs and do SL 5x5 3x weekly. I'm just looking to split my deficit up between food and exercise. I don't count lifting calories at all.

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    cycling or walking.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    First is basketball hand down. Next favorite is punching bag w/jump rope, push-ups & crunches in between rounds. 2 to 3 min punching combos, 30 to 60 sec rope, 1 minute break, repeat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have a mini stepper for just this sort of thing. When I don't want to do any more HIIT type bodyweight or am sluggish I hop on the stepper and watch some telly. It gets my heart rate up enough that it's a quicker way to burn some calories than walking but not so strenuous as to impact energy levels for my next "proper" workout.

I did some Vinyasa flow the other night and looked for specifically one very pacey and it wiped the floor with me after half an hour. That was just a random Youtube search.

Skipping might work too if you find a skipping workout to keep it from being monotonous, might give that a go myself at some point too!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, 15% grade, 3 MPH, 22 minutes.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I dance. Headphones in, dance Playlist on and dance flat out for 30 minutes or so. 5'5", 135lbs and burn approximately 170ish according to my fitbit.

Probably not completely accurate but as I've been losing as planned for months eating back my calories, I'd say it was pretty darn close for me.

Dancing is great for stress relief I've found too. Helps when I'm having a bad day, I just dance it out :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Man I can't remember the last time I tried to burn 200 calories....I guess if I had to choose something it'd be an outdoor activity. Beach volleyball or something.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    20 minute run.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yoga, ahhhhh!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    10x10 deads should do it :smile:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I burn about 105-110 cals on my Concept 2 rower rowing 2k meters at a rate of about 650-700 cals/hr or about 100-110 watts in just under 10 mins. So, if I wanted to burn 200-220 cals, I'd just row 4k meters in 2 2k meter intervals.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Fantastic responses, everyone. Thanks a bunch!
    This gives me a great idea of what I can do, and exercises I can string together throughout the day. I am not a huge cardio person, but.... 500 cal deficit was making me hangry, so I am decreasing the deficit and adding a little cardio to make it easier until I reach the desired body fat percentage.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Swimming freestyle, moderate pace, for 30 mins does that nicely and a bit more without the joint issues (if you are heavier) of running.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,954 Member
    Options
    200 calories?

Cycling 10 km.
    Walking briskly a little over 1 hour.
    Climbing 35 flights of stairs.