Newbie ... few questions

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to MFP, used a few months ago before holiday as a phone app, but now using the online one is helping me a lot ... I have a few questions:
- What would you eat before excercising in the morning. I work 9-5 and if I don't excercise in the morning I never get round to doing it, but worried about going out for a run on empty stomach and don't want to have a full breakfast before I do it as it might make me feel sick
- I am learning about looking at protein / carbs/ sugar/ fat ratios and with MFP's recommended goals I can never get the sugar / protein levels right. Even if I just eat only 1 portion of fruit and don't really want to cut my fruit intake
- Also my daily calories goal is set at 1400 but my BMR is 1580 am I eating too little calories?

My diary is public so please feel free to have a look and give me feedback

Thanks x

Replies

• EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the answer to some of your questions, but the best things to eat before a workout are either a small bowl of cereal or a banana. You should eat an hour before you work out, but even if you eat 30-45 mins before hand, something like a banana should be ok. Or you could have a smoothie?
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to MFP, used a few months ago before holiday as a phone app, but now using the online one is helping me a lot ... I have a few questions:
    - What would you eat before excercising in the morning. I work 9-5 and if I don't excercise in the morning I never get round to doing it, but worried about going out for a run on empty stomach and don't want to have a full breakfast before I do it as it might make me feel sick
    - I am learning about looking at protein / carbs/ sugar/ fat ratios and with MFP's recommended goals I can never get the sugar / protein levels right. Even if I just eat only 1 portion of fruit and don't really want to cut my fruit intake
    - Also my daily calories goal is set at 1400 but my BMR is 1580 am I eating too little calories?

Thanks x

Welcome!

I'm no expert but I will tell you I have the same issue about exercising on an empty stomach. I just buy a large tub of non fat vanilla yogurt and eat about 5-6 oz every morning when I get up to address that issue.

Hope that's helpful.

Best,

Debbie
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    i think no it should match up. they do different meanings so there different things.try a drink mix with ur water when u run called banana and strawberry hunger control it by crystal light. it work great got protein and fiber to control hunger. it fills me up and my boyfriend too. has for eating a banana and penut butter wrap. while drinking some of that drink.
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Thanks x

Hi, and welcome!

I think the advice about having something small before your exercise it valid. I personally can't exercise on an empty stomach so my preference is evening exercise.

Keep an eye on your sugar intake however many of us on here, me included, struggle to stay within the sugar allowance if we want to eat fruit etc. One thing that I have observed about your diary is the lack of dinners this week. Try to eat dinner. Balance your calorie intake throughout the day as going long periods of time without food can fool your body into starvation mode. Make sure you always eat over 1200 calories in a day. It sounds crazy but eating too little can stop weight loss as your body will store everything you eat.

Hope this helps. Feel free to add me as a friend. :flowerforyou:

Good luck x
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist, but from personal experience and from working with family and friends, I wouldn't eat more than 100 calories under your BMR. Otherwise you will plateau. . . You could stick with 1400 for now if you want, but if you see your loss slowing down, UP your intake to 1500 -- don't lower it.

Also (though I know some people will disagree with me here) don't worry about your sugar intake from raw, fresh fruit. :)
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I used to run (which hasn't been for a looong time, but still) I was always fine running without eating first unless it was a long one (10 miles +). I'd always drink something first, and take an energy drink if I was going out for more than half an hour or so, and that worked for me. So, it might be worth experimenting with doing a shorter run without eating first, and see how you go. (If I was eating before going out, it was usually a banana plus something cereal-ish, but since I used to go out fairly early it was an awful faff because I'd have to get up really early to eat it, and then sort of prop myself up in bed and doze for a bit until I was ready to go out.)
  • Ramitta
    Ramitta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys that's really useful, I guess I will have to cut my fruit consumption a bit and also give an energy drink a go for my runs :)