Question about Heart Rate and Running

Options
gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
Should I be trying to keep my heart rate "in zone" while running? It seems like a comfortable pace for me puts my HR at around 168-172 and my HRM has my zone set at 128-167.

thanks!

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    define comfortable? and what kind of HRM do you use?

in the meantime, here's my two cents... you are young, and not too heavy to push... so i say, go by your instinct and how you feel. if you can take a deep breath to the depths of your lungs and/or talk comfortable... then you are at a good pace. if you were just starting out i might say slow down but it looks like you are at least at 3 miles...
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I think you should do what is comfortable for you. Your body knows...

Figure out your max heart rate and do not go above that... I believe its 220-your age (double check).
  • gooberr4
    Options
    I have a polar FT4. I kind of feel like my HR is higher when I'm outside b/c i kinda still suffer from exercise induced asthma. I've been running for a while now (since the beginning of February) and at one point was up to 5 miles but my hip flexors started giving me grief. But I just recently got my HRM so I never knew what my HR was before now. I feel fine running in the sense that it's hard but not too hard but definitely not easy.
  • gooberr4
    Options
    I think you should do what is comfortable for you. Your body knows...

Figure out your max heart rate and do not go above that... I believe its 220-your age (double check).

you're right. that makes it 197 for me. Never got up that high. as long as i don't go about 197 I'm fine then?
  • mystiloo
    mystiloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Those HRM's go by the math of 220 minus your age. That number is supposed to be your maximum heart rate, the first time I did interval training I went over my "max". That made me do some research and I found that 220 thing to be just a guide. The highest number you've seen on your monitor is your maximum heart rate. So if you feel comfortable in YOUR zone but not your watch's-forget your watch. Or adjust it! (Mine can be set to my max HR.)